Options

Curtains for rented accommodation

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
Cheap and cheerful pls, prefereably lined. I am useless at DIY. It's only for one bedroom, the rest of the flat is fine.

There are already some screw holes ready for some screws, so even I should be able to screw some screws in. I was thinking of getting these tracks

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6239466/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CCurtains%2C+blinds+and+accessories%7C14417937/c_3/3%7Ccat_14417937%7CCurtain+poles+and+curtain+rails%7C14417942.htm

But where can I find suitable curtains, most seem to be for poles?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably Argos or Peacock's or similar too for the curtains.

Wundaweb for hemming if needs be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ardwark wrote: »
    Probably Argos or Peacock's or similar too for the curtains.

Wundaweb for hemming if needs be.
    You domestic goddess you
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda sell cheap thick curtains that don't need lining, and Dunelm mill is also good.

Ikea are ok but you'll to to cut to length and hem/wonderweb them
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »

Well, there is quite a sizable community of Eastern Europeans in the UK, so it is understandable that there will be targeted marketing.

But there is nothing to stop you buying curtains targeted at Poles if you like them.

As mentioned above, there is also quite a good choice of curtains at reasonable prices in Dunelm - if you are not near a shop, they have a web presence.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the poster before said, Dunelm is good or The Range.

I bought some curtains from there last weekend, and they were very reasonable and stylish too.
  • Options
    sybilvimessybilvimes Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most charity shops sell decent curtains.
  • Options
    ElkyElkyElkyElky Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Don't get that Argos thing you linked. I bought that and it was a true nightmare. The 1.2m track comes all rolled up when you buy it, you'll never get it straight and thus sits all wonky when you've screwed it into the wall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sybilvimes wrote: »
    Most charity shops sell decent curtains.
    I had two pairs of those expensive thermal ones from a charity shop when I was a student, for £5 I think ,I used them for years.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I suggest you get someone who knows what they are doing to fit the poles etc - any handyman should do it for a tenner.

You don't want the poles falling down in the middle of the night - and bringing the wall down with it.

Also make sure you pick curtains that block the light/allow light in as appropriate - depending on your tastes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I suggest you get someone who knows what they are doing to fit the poles etc - any handyman should do it for a tenner.

You don't want the poles falling down in the middle of the night - and bringing the wall down with it.

Also make sure you pick curtains that block the light/allow light in as appropriate - depending on your tastes.

Oh come on, I'm a petite girly-girl with stupidly long nails and candyfloss for brains, even I've successfully put a curtain pole up before! :D
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »
    Cheap and cheerful pls, prefereably lined. I am useless at DIY. It's only for one bedroom, the rest of the flat is fine.

There are already some screw holes ready for some screws, so even I should be able to screw some screws in. I was thinking of getting these tracks

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6239466/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CCurtains%2C+blinds+and+accessories%7C14417937/c_3/3%7Ccat_14417937%7CCurtain+poles+and+curtain+rails%7C14417942.htm

Try charity shops - you'd be amazed at some of the decent stuff you can find.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    summerain wrote: »
    Oh come on, I'm a petite girly-girl with stupidly long nails and candyfloss for brains, even I've successfully put a curtain pole up before! :D

Then I'm shamed!! The walls in my house are dire - and any time I've tried drilling (or anyone else for that matter) I've had huge chunks of plaster fall away. I guess I'm trying to say that not every straightforward job is straightforward!!
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are in the Norwich area then I have some curtains that you can have for free. :)

Dunelm Mill is pretty good though. :cool:
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilkinsons sell curtains - also track and extra hooks etc etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    How about these as a simple alternative?

http://www.blindsinabox.co.uk/

I think there might be other 'temporary' or lightweight options out there that don't need a rail, drilling, installing etc
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to put curtains up for a flat I was renting out. I got the poles in Wilkinsons and some really cheap (but nice) curtains in the sale in Dunhelm Mill.

The tenant even rang me after she moved in and asked me where I got the curtains because they were so nice that she wanted to buy matching bedspreads.