America: Land of the Free? Not if you are filming about healthy food.

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
OMG I can't believe they've tried to stop Jamie Oliver talking to students about healthy food.

Where is the free speech?

Just goes to show, it isn't as free over there as it is made out to be.

Watch out UK this is the way we are going.

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Er, any link so we can all know what you are on about?
  • Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who makes that prat shut his mouth is alright by me.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only when we don't get Jamie Oliver on our TV screens doing his bleeding heart thing, surely.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why the hate for Jamie Oliver. Save it for someone like Ryan Giggs or Josie.

I would have thought the hypocrisy of the so called freedom of speech would be more important than the dislike of a celeb who is at least trying to get people to eat healthy.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that America is not the land of the free, but this is a rubbish example.

A better example is the thousands of people who are brought up by Christian extremists, and are not allowed to deviate from the rules imposed on them by their parents. That doesn't just mean not being able to date people of the same sex, but for some heterosexuals, simply being in a room with somebody of the opposite sex is forbidden. They're not allowed to have partners, never mind sleep with or have sex with partners. Some Christian extremists even ban their own partners from listening to secular music, even music that isn't sexual and doesn't contain swear words.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I agree that America is not the land of the free, but this is a rubbish example.

A better example is the thousands of people who are brought up by Christian extremists, and are not allowed to deviate from the rules imposed on them by their parents. That doesn't just mean not being able to date people of the same sex, but for some heterosexuals, simply being in a room with somebody of the opposite sex is forbidden. They're not allowed to have partners, never mind sleep with or have sex with partners. Some Christian extremists even ban their own partners from listening to secular music, even music that isn't sexual and doesn't contain swear words.

Bu that's not really America/the American government limiting their freedom. The citizens are doing it to themselves. You can't force someone to enjoy their freedom if for some strange reason they choose not to.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jamie Oliver should be stopped from talking, period. :D
  • Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    America is fast becoming a police state, all in the name of fighting those nasty tourists as Dubya would say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollocks! They've just passed that point where Jamie Oliver starts to get on your tits. We've all been there...
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I just hope he gets on well over there.......so we don't get him coming back here.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Er, any link so we can all know what you are on about?

Oh, I see the OP has blanked you, so I did a quick google. Disappointingly all I got was this
  • NoodleGuruNoodleGuru Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Jamie Oliver is working in LA trying to get healthy food served in schools, like he did here, and also in Huntington in the US in the first series of this programme. However, he is being blocked and banned from working in schools at every step, to the point at which he was being threatened with being arrested for going to a school to teach the culinary students.

There seems to be a huge elephant in the room here - there are lots of crazy American regulations, subsidies and strange things going on with big businesses and the American food system. Things like genetically modified corn are in everything, which is why there's high fructose corn syrup in odd products like canned tomatoes, etc. That stuff screws up your metabolism and is generally not great for your health. I wouldn't be surprised if the LA city boards were being pressured by big businesses to keep the status quo. I've learned quite a lot about the American food system recently and no wonder they are all so fat - the government is literally paying tax money to businesses and companies who produce the food that's making them sick, artificially driving down the costs of these products and therefore making things like burgers and fries a much easier choice to make over fresh veg and healthy food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NoodleGuru wrote: »

There seems to be a huge elephant in the room here - there are lots of crazy American regulations, subsidies and strange things going on with big businesses and the American food system. Things like genetically modified corn are in everything, which is why there's high fructose corn syrup in odd products like canned tomatoes, etc. That stuff screws up your metabolism and is generally not great for your health. I wouldn't be surprised if the LA city boards were being pressured by big businesses to keep the status quo. I've learned quite a lot about the American food system recently and no wonder they are all so fat - the government is literally paying tax money to businesses and companies who produce the food that's making them sick, artificially driving down the costs of these products and therefore making things like burgers and fries a much easier choice to make over fresh veg and healthy food.

Yes I agree, that is what worried me too.

They claimed they didn't want him in schools are they believed it was just to cause problems so he could have a better tv programme, but I think they were got to by the food industry.

The milk promotion bloke in the first episode was scared of him.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching the program at the moment.

JO's heart is in the right place.
    And when you look at what's happening both here and has already happened in the US, then whatever anybody does to try and stop the onslaught of being fat becoming the norm, then good luck to him.

It's heartbreaking for me at my age seeing youngsters so grossly overweight. Don't they realise what's in store for them?
    All that misery and physical hardship, and for what?
    An extra helping of rubbish food that doesn't even begin to satisfy because the body knows it's just bulk?
  • MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    My husband came to the conclusion that the schools are feeding the kids with Soylent Green. :eek:;)
  • Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His priority is plain.

He wants to make money.

That is all.
  • rivetheadrivethead Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG I can't believe they've tried to stop Jamie Oliver talking to students about healthy food.

Where is the free speech?

Just goes to show, it isn't as free over there as it is made out to be.

On a completely unrelated topic, how long have you been reading the Daily Express?
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    His priority is plain.

He wants to make money.

That is all.

He also wants to promote himself. Anyone who thinks he gives a stuff about the health of American kids is naive, to say the least.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why the hate for Jamie Oliver. Save it for someone like Ryan Giggs or Josie.

Play a different ****in record for god sake.

Giggs is hardly OBL or Hussein.

Some people are obsessed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Play a different ****in record for god sake.

Giggs is hardly OBL or Hussein.

Some people are obsessed.

Compared to Jamie Oliver, Giggs is far from a saint.

I just don't see why people dislike Jamie Oliver so much they would rather comment about him rather than about the way the Americans dismiss his right to free speech so easily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    He also wants to promote himself. Anyone who thinks he gives a stuff about the health of American kids is naive, to say the least.

So what if he wants to make money or promote himself?

At least he is doing it for a good cause.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he'll have his work cut out.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    used to have v little time for JO, then he made a massive difference in UK schools. No more turkey twizzlers, but more than that, highlighting what was going wrong, and getting it changed. That's a pretty damn good way to make money frankly, I wish him every success.

As for the US, it's *possible* they had an issue with film crews going into schools and creating 'entertainment'. Regardless, I don't think you can say "they didn't let in a random British chef who wanted to see what they were doing in their schools. Fascists!" He's just a guy. They wouldn't let me in to their school's kitchens either. Of course, the series will have a happy ending ;)
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    used to have v little time for JO, then he made a massive difference in UK schools. No more turkey twizzlers, but more than that, highlighting what was going wrong, and getting it changed. That's a pretty damn good way to make money frankly, I wish him every success.

As for the US, it's *possible* they had an issue with film crews going into schools and creating 'entertainment'. Regardless, I don't think you can say "they didn't let in a random British chef who wanted to see what they were doing in their schools. Fascists!" He's just a guy. They wouldn't let me in to their school's kitchens either. Of course, the series will have a happy ending ;)

Kids just buy junk elsewhere now. I don't think he has made much of a difference. It's the self-styled saint act that annoys me.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This evening we've gone from that show where Lorraine Kelly tries to tame the crazy diet of that girl from X Factor, to Biggest Loser US, to Heavy. I decided Jamie trying to tame fat Americans was one obesity show too many so haven't seen it yet. I'd imagine his producers thought taking it stateside would make for a good show and at this point, suspect Jamie is coining it enough to not need to work another day in his life if he didn't want to. So I doubt he has any ulterior motive.