90s US sitcoms you used to watch (in the UK)

Comments

• AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Most of the aforementioned. Plus one that I think was called Perfect Strangers. Some bloke and his visiting cousin getting into mischief.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate and Allie
    Grace under Fire
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I remember quite liking it but couldn't tell you much more than that.

Does anyone remember The 5 Mrs Buchanans? That was a very short lived programme which had potential.

I enjoyed Cybil, Frasier, Third Rock from the Sun and Roseanne. I would watch Blossom, Ellen and Different World if there was nothing else on but I'm afraid I never got into Friends or Home Improvement.

The whole of the 5 Mrs Buchanans is on you tube (at least it was), i watched it a few years ago. Its still very funny. It's written by marc Cherry, and a few of the cast turn up, and some of the names are reused too (bree being the prime one)
  • albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Married with children continued with it's last seven seasons. Some hate the later seasons but i think the whole run had its ups and downs but still largely enjoyable and deliciously OTT. One of my all time fav sitcoms. Especially from the late 80's and most of 90's. Even if it a little bit dated.

MWC is also one of my favourite US comedies. Its a little dated now but its a comedy I never get tired of rewatching. I watch seasons 2 to 6, 8 and 11 the most but enjoy all of the series. I just hope we can get a short series revival in the next few years.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    And of the main family three of the actors are still getting top gigs. O'Neill and Segal in high rated comedies and Applegate in films.

The other has a long bio but it seems to many guest appearances.
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None, I was out having a good time, nowadays of course that's completely different.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    And of the main family three of the actors are still getting top gigs. O'Neill and Segal in high rated comedies and Applegate in films.

The other has a long bio but it seems to many guest appearances.

If we're being honest, christina applegate's career hasn't been that great. She's had some movies, but it's been very intermittent. She's got a big one with Kristen Bell coming up, but The Anchorman and it's sequel are all else of note she's really done in film in years.
    Forum Member
    Kromm wrote: »
    If we're being honest, christina applegate's career hasn't been that great. She's had some movies, but it's been very intermittent. She's got a big one with Kristen Bell coming up, but The Anchorman and it's sequel are all else of note she's really done in film in years.

I've atleast seen their names in title credits though. I had to look up the guy who played Bud.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dream On.
    Funny and it had guest appearance boobs most weeks.
    (Rest of it on DVD someone ?)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dream On.

HBO's first ever production, I believe.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear Two guys and a girl is good. Recently got a dvd release in the states.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    3rd Rock From The Sun (still brilliant)
    Friends
    The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
    Saved by the bell
    South Park
    Spin City
    The Wonder Years
    Dinosaurs

3rd rock from the Sun is great. One of the best American comedy series. They don't make them like that anymore.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dream On.

Only Seasons 1 & 2 are on DVD. Rest are on Youtube.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sledgehammer.

Shown late at night on Yorkshire
    Forum Member
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Sledgehammer.

Shown late at night on Yorkshire

That was from the 80s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hear Two guys and a girl is good. Recently got a dvd release in the states.

Yes, it was pretty good. Ryan Reynolds in his younger days. I enjoyed it lots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kate and Allie

Kate and Allie used to air in the weird time slot of 9.25 Monday night on Channel 4, IIRC. Possibly 9.35, as I think it used to form a nice double bill with St Elsewhere.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Kate and Allie used to air in the weird time slot of 9.25 Monday night on Channel 4, IIRC. Possibly 9.35, as I think it used to form a nice double bill with St Elsewhere.

I watched a bit of Kate and Allie on cable tv during the 90s.......they used to show a coupe of 80s US sitcoms in the teatime slot. .........can't remember which channel it was, probably Sky

Family Ties was another one
    Forum Member
    The Torkelsons.

How many of you remember that or have even heard of it?
    Forum Member
    The Torkelsons.

How many of you remember that or have even heard of it?
    I doubt many. It had one and only one US season.
    Forum Member
    davor wrote: »
    3rd rock from the Sun is great. One of the best American comedy series. They don't make them like that anymore.

An odd show in that it had a star who before it was a global movie star (John Lithgow) and another who years later became one (Joseph Gordon-Levitt). It had an original Saturday Night Live player who was on the same time as the likes of Belushi and Ackroyd (Jane Curtin). It had a guy who appeared in both the original Jurassic Park as well as years of the the most popular US sitcom in decades, Seinfeld (Wayne Knight). It had a LOT going for it.
    Forum Member
    Kromm wrote: »
    I doubt many. It had one and only one US season.
    It kind of had two as they just renamed it for the 'second' season.

It was shown in the UK though. I'm guessing Channel 4.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I nearly cried seeing California Dreams mentioned. So many memories watching that show.

Clarissa explains it all was good.

I remember the 5 Mrs Buchannans but I'd say a lot of it went over my head.

Harry and and the Hendersons was on a lot
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,762
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall most of them being on Channel 4.

Anyone else watch Hangin' with Mr Cooper?

I do. In fact I was surprised when the lead guy popped up in Armageddon as a taxi driver at the beginning.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Married With Children. Also remember watching the likes of SisterSister, Fresh Prince, Frazier etc. I also quite liked Roseanne. Never got into Seinfeld, and I used to watch Home Improvement just for something in the background.

I did just do a re-watching of all of 3rd Rock from the Sun. No-one else in the house wanted to ever watch it when I was younger, so I had to go through to the spare room which had an ancient black and white telly that picked it up - was nice to watch the full thing in colour instead. I was impressed with the number of episodes and lines I remembered!