Your mobile predictions for 2013

old bill2old bill2 Posts: 689
Forum Member
✭✭
After a very eventful Christmas. Happy New Year to everyone. As we start 2013 what are your predictions for the world of mobile technology ? What would you like to see ? Will the next Iphone be a total flop ? Will Wavejock admit that 3 is the best network:D ? After quad core phone s what next ? Will O2 discover 3G ?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next iPhone will be a flop.

There will be an Android phone with an uber graphics chip which can power gaming on HDTVs on next gen levels!
  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung will release a new 32" Note with a snazzy leather trolley to wheel it about in.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone 5s will be more of the same :yawn:

Apple will keep in sueing everyone.

4G will be the main topic on this forum in 2013.

O2s 3G coverage will still be crap compared with everyone else.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Sales of Symbian phones will drop drastically.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict apple will continue to lose market share, BB10 will never reach 3% market share but WP will start to gain, maybe reaching 8%in the final quarter with several new manufacturers joining the party.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I predict apple will continue to lose market share, BB10 will never reach 3% market share but WP will start to gain, maybe reaching 8%in the final quarter with several new manufacturers joining the party.

Think I'd go with that as well.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apple will lose market share, but will still be by far and away the biggest in profits.

BB10 may surprise people, they do seem to be gaining a fair amount of developer suppor.

WP won't gain market share, as Android and iOS will increase sales beyond what WP could possibly gain.

My main predictions :
    - SGS4 will be bigger and faster.
    - Note 3 will be bigger and faster
    - cameras in mobiles will continue to be (for the most part) rubbish
    - Samsung will continue to dilute the Galaxy brand.
    - The iPhone 5S (or maybe the 6) will be touted as the greatest device they've ever created, but will offer next to nothing practical over the 5.

The one I want to catch people by surprise is the Jolla Sailfish OS, which looks gorgeous. But all they've shown it on so far is the N950 - they haven't shown it on their own hardware. But the N950 with Sailfish could be good enough, who knows what they'll build.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cupotea wrote: »
    Samsung will release a new 32" Note with a snazzy leather trolley to wheel it about in.

I have the original note but I had to laugh at that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone 5S will be more of the same but loyal Apple users will flock to buy it.
    BB10 will fail and RIM will be bought out.
    4G will increase UK coverage but will remain expensive.
    WP will remain as it is.
    Samsung will release another handful of mid-rang phones but no something like a S4 yet.
    T-Mobile and Orange brands will be dropped and become known as EE.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Flexi phones. Nano coatings. Side and rear side touch gestures.
    4G in every UK city by years end.
    Unknown major break through mobile sized battery tech.
    More integration between high end cameras and mobile evolving on from the 808/Galaxy Camera.
    Better Home Entertainment integration ie Phone to TV.

Nokia to be bought out or merge.
    New iPhone (late) and Galaxy phones have major unseen advancements in phone tech not just spec upgrades from s3/iPhone 5/5S.
    Sony to sue Samsung + Apple and launch Sony Super phone with stunning new feature. Samsung & Apple litigation ends.
    WP actually gets apps :)
    Octo+ cores.
    Big public news story about phone hacking where private data stolen.. thoughts change on phone security.
    BB has another outage or BB10 has security flaw which sees potential customers put off.
    Telefonica sells O2 in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Android really has to improve their GPU, S3 looks poor compared to iPhone 5 graphics.

Vice City and Most Wanted (with several other games) look and run far better on IOS.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    jalal wrote: »
    Android really has to improve their GPU, S3 looks poor compared to iPhone 5 graphics.

Vice City and Most Wanted (with several other games) look and run far better on IOS.

Not on the S3 and Nexus 4 it isnt. Its exactly the same.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Not on the S3 and Nexus 4 it isnt. Its exactly the same.

What a very strange thing to say. Even the developers have stated the games run better on iOS due to the standardised platform.

But the are enhanced for the 4s and the 5, Andriod is a night mare for games developers and always will be untill google release minimum specs for andriod.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    http://youtu.be/iByLt9Sip2Q

Interesting viewing.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Android will continue to rise, with Google releasing Key Lime Pie adding a large number of features
    -RIM will not find success with BB10 and will be close to bankcruptcy, facing a possible takeover/buyout
    -Microsoft will attempt to use Windows Blue to relaunch Windows Phone for the 3rd time possibly announcing tighter integration between the two.
    -Apple will launch a TV product which will not be very successful as well as an iPhone 5S which will not sell as well as previous models
    -Samsung will launch the Galaxy S4 seeing more success
    -LG and Asus will rise in popularity as HTC and Sony falter and stumble into troubled waters
    -Nokia will be forced to sell off more assets and will become increasingly desperate to have a successful device, possibly considering other platforms
    -Google and Motorola's X Phone will be revealed, possible massive game changer
    -Dual core phones will become low/mid-range devices as more quad-core and possibly the first 8-core smartphone (from Samsung who have just made this chip) hits the market
    -4G rollout across the UK near complete by the end of the year, networks try to gain more customers for this service
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    What a very strange thing to say. Even the developers have stated the games run better on iOS due to the standardised platform.

But the are enhanced for the 4s and the 5, Andriod is a night mare for games developers and always will be untill google release minimum specs for andriod.

Where have they said this? For instance, GTA 3 looked better on the S3 than the 4S.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised nobody has mentioned foldable screens, the technology has already been demonstrated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Where have they said this? For instance, GTA 3 looked better on the S3 than the 4S.

What a random comment, a pentile screen will never come anywhere near the iPhone 4S screen, most peculiar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://youtu.be/iByLt9Sip2Q

Interesting viewing.

Wow , I was shocked at just how badly the Nexus 4 ran the game. I some parts it was just awful the textures were like really really poor. I'm glad I sold my Nexus 4 for more than I paid for it.

I actually potty people who paid £350+ for such a poor phone.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I have the original note but I had to laugh at that.

Really I want one :eek:
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot one:
    Microsoft to buy Nokia
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Wow , I was shocked at just how badly the Nexus 4 ran the game. I some parts it was just awful the textures were like really really poor. I'm glad I sold my Nexus 4 for more than I paid for it.

I actually potty people who paid £350+ for such a poor phone.

In all fairness it is hard to judge the i5 all i could see was a pair of thumbs ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hate hearing this, it highlights incredibly lazy - and effectively just bad developers. Games do not run better on iOS due to being standardised, its just that they can't be bothered to put in any effort on the android ports.

How have games been running on Windows for years? Thats far from a standard platform. So what if there's a range of screen resolutions, you code around relative positions, not abolutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    -Dual core phones will become low/mid-range devices as more quad-core and possibly the first 8-core smartphone (from Samsung who have just made this chip) hits the market

This is an interesting one, and I await the day when google release a version of Android that can actually make decent use of a quad core processor before Samsung or whoever start releasing 8 core devices.

I've got a Nexus 7 and the old dual core Advent Vega. Browser benchmarks show about a 10% difference between the two, which is primarily down to clock speed (1.3gHz vs 1.2gig).

4 core devices don't give any real world improvement, so what they expect 8 core devices to do aside from giving bloggers bragging rights I'll never know.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »

Snipped

The one I want to catch people by surprise is the Jolla Sailfish OS, which looks gorgeous. But all they've shown it on so far is the N950 - they haven't shown it on their own hardware. But the N950 with Sailfish could be good enough, who knows what they'll build.

And it is still unfinished.

Samsung will also release their own Linux based OS called Tizen, for their mobile range.