DigiAudio on 9200T?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
Any info on when or if Freeview channels adding Multi Channel audio to progs?

Comments

• Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freeview is limited to Dolby Surround. We won't get 5.1 for a long time, if ever, because there isn't the capacity for the much higher data rate that would need.

Things may change after analogue switch off, if we get extra muxes for HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    Yup HD will almost certainly use AAC for the audio while using AVC for the video but that's a few years away (though apparently BBC have been running a test mux)

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Exactly what I had figured myself. it's a pity we can't utilise the digital audio connection due to Britain slowness in adopting new technology. My sister in Australia has had HD and Digital Audio for a few years now. Ah well!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Once we start broacasting in HD (world cup?) will we all have to go out and buy new PVRs (to decode at the new resolution) ?
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    den123 wrote:
    Once we start broacasting in HD (world cup?) will we all have to go out and buy new PVRs (to decode at the new resolution) ?

You won't have to, but you will need to if you want to watch HD. If it ever happens on DTT of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    If it ever happens on DTT of course.
    Oh it will - BBC have already started some experiments but there won't be enough bandwidth until analogue switch off so maybe 2008-2012 or something like that.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cybersimmy wrote:
    Exactly what I had figured myself. it's a pity we can't utilise the digital audio connection due to Britain slowness in adopting new technology. My sister in Australia has had HD and Digital Audio for a few years now. Ah well!!!
    The problem is the speed we adopted new technolody - we were one of if not the first nation to broadcast digital terrestial, the technolodgy wasn't really ready then for HD DTT. Austraila getting it later could do it HD.

Also isn't Austrailia having problems driving takeup after opting for HD rather than more channels like in the UK?