sky hd + anytime wireless ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
Forum Member
hi
does anybody know where i can get some kind of dongle to plug in the sky hd box, so i can download the sky hd + anytime content with out having to have the ethernet cable running all over my house then plugged into the router,moving the router next to the sky box is not ..cheers

Comments

• John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot plug any kind of dongle into a Sky+HD box.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky do their own wireless adaptor for £60 and apparently Homeplugs (via the mains) work as well.
  • tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homeplugs, Ebuyer £34 a pair will do the job.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't sky anytime stuff appear on your box through the dish? We don't have an ethernet cable into our sky box and we seem to have anytime stuff.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    doesn't sky anytime stuff appear on your box through the dish? We don't have an ethernet cable into our sky box and we seem to have anytime stuff.....

yes but theres a new service called anytime plus theres a back log of hundreds of movies etc that you can download, ive used it a few times,but i dont fancy having the cable running round the house also kids catch their feet on it
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    yes but theres a new service called anytime plus theres a back log of hundreds of movies etc that you can download, ive used it a few times,but i dont fancy having the cable running round the house also kids catch their feet on it

Easiest method then is the official Sky wireless dongle (a wireless bridge), it's dead simple to setup.
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easiest method then is the official Sky wireless dongle (a wireless bridge), it's dead simple to setup.

Agreed although I do think £60 is a bit much to be honest. Also, they have now stopped us running ethernet externally which is a big pain in the rear end. I was given a set of homeplugs a few weeks ago by a customer switching from bt vision and I have to say even easier to setup and very handy if you don't want cables either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,258
    Forum Member

You can use a standard wireless router :) .. just setup the mac code in the sky router.. Although you would have though SKY would have incorporated wireless in their new boxes (or allowed usb dongles to work)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    pkc wrote: »
    You can use a standard wireless router :) .. just setup the mac code in the sky router.. Although you would have though SKY would have incorporated wireless in their new boxes (or allowed usb dongles to work)

There are no 'new boxes', Sky design them well in the first place so the only 'new boxes' are completely different ones.

So there's only really been three:

Sky
    Sky+
    Sky HD

As later versions of each type come out, the basic specification doesn't really change, so a current HD box is little different to an original one.

It's certainly possible that the next generation of Sky box might include Wireless - but what would it be?. The only thing that comes to mind is the old Pace idea, with a master box and slave boxes.