The Dashboard

2»

Comments

• Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It loads more adverts & stuff for the tiles. It takes longer to come up & it takes longer to shut down too.
    Exactly, it isn't a misconception if you can see it with your own eyes.

Are you saying that stopwatches are wrong?

People have timed it.

The current Dashboard is faster to load.

The current dashboard (as well as the previous few releases) have been designed so that they are not reliant on waiting for content to download before they display the screen.

This was a huge problem with the "blades" dashboard after they introduced Inside Xbox, because it wouldn't show the "Play Disc" option until everything else had loaded. If Xbox LIVE was down, that was a nightmare. You had to wait for it to give up on connecting before the button would show. You couldn't use the Guide to start games then either.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »

People have timed it.

Well, they've not timed mine! :D

I'm fine with the new dashboard but have to admit that, since the latest update, there's a lot more swirly circle symbol between initial startup and profile selection and then between profile selection and the dashboard loading. Maybe it's my 360, though it's an S model less than 12 months old, so I dunno what else to pin it on: I personally don't find the new dashboard faster to load.

(shuts down fine, though.)
  • DSWNSMDSWNSM Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Well, they've not timed mine! :D

I'm fine with the new dashboard but have to admit that, since the latest update, there's a lot more swirly circle symbol between initial startup and profile selection and then between profile selection and the dashboard loading. Maybe it's my 360, though it's an S model less than 12 months old, so I dunno what else to pin it on: I personally don't find the new dashboard faster to load.

(shuts down fine, though.)

Same here, it's annoying. That swirly circle sometimes won't disappear when signing into my profile and i have to turn the 360 off then on again. I have the old arcade model so i really doubt it's anything to do with your 360.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    Same here, it's annoying. That swirly circle sometimes won't disappear when signing into my profile and i have to turn the 360 off then on again. I have the old arcade model so i really doubt it's anything to do with your 360.

Glad it's not just me, at least!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the swirl but I can't say its taking longer to signin, seems about the same to me. Its seems to take an age for my friends to appear though, I did a compare with the PS3 and your friends pop-up within seconds of signin, not so on the 360. Exiting Apps is also slow.

That said, for the most part the dashboard experience is pretty slick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member

People have timed it.

People may have timed it but they have only timed their system or at most a handfull. Never mine though which is now noticeably slower after the update.

As has been said by numerous people now in this thread it takes longer to load for some of us so it isn't a misconception.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I timed mine yesterday. From clicking on my profile to launch of the actual dashboard took 1 minute 54 seconds.

I've also noticed regular drop-outs from Live, too, since the update...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I timed mine yesterday. From clicking on my profile to launch of the actual dashboard took 1 minute 54 seconds.

I'm glad to see this isnt just happening to me. There has been a few times now playing online or using the iPlayer and I randomly lose connection and disconnect from xBox Live, so infuriating at times :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been doing a bit of reading and there are a lot of cases of the hard drives in the new Xbox Slim developing faults...

Trick is to take the hard drive out and see if it still does the slow dashboard thing. If it loads as quick as it used to then the hard drive may be borked and need a reformat at least!

ETA: 3 things suggested to try on the Xbox forums are deleting cache (done), deleting and re-downloading gamer profile and then removing the hard drive to test it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That sounds like you have a network problem to me.

What you're timing isn't the dashboard loading. If you can select your profile, the dashboard has already loaded.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loading the adverts takes no time whatsoever as the dash will happily load before the ads even start appearing. It also shuts down immediately no matter what but will continue to operate for a short time afterwards due to the cloud saving feature (or if you have any active downloads of course).

I can only speak from my own experience mate. There are a lot of other factors to consider but from my personal experience with my 3 yr old Jasper chipset, when it went from blades to this version it now takes my xbox longer to display the dashboard & it can often take 45 seconds for the center green light to stop flashing indicating it is shut down. If the ethernet is not connected, it is almost instant.

I am not complaining, I like the dashboard it was just an observation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone noticed that you can make your avatar dance on Smartglass if you tap it & move it about lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it can often take 45 seconds for the center green light to stop flashing indicating it is shut down. If the ethernet is not connected, it is almost instant.

This is how the software is designed to work.

With the shift to "roaming profiles" your console has to upload more data to Xbox LIVE every time you turn it off. That obviously takes time to happen, so you notice it staying on to complete the process.

If a network connection is not available when you turn off the console, then that obviously won't happen.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only speak from my own experience mate. There are a lot of other factors to consider but from my personal experience with my 3 yr old Jasper chipset, when it went from blades to this version it now takes my xbox longer to display the dashboard & it can often take 45 seconds for the center green light to stop flashing indicating it is shut down. If the ethernet is not connected, it is almost instant.

I am not complaining, I like the dashboard it was just an observation.

After playing Mafia II it takes ages to shut-down properly :D the SaveFile for that game is 40MB for some strange reason so it has to upload that file to the Cloud, takes a 15-20 mins on my poor internet speed.
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    This is how the software is designed to work.

With the shift to "roaming profiles" your console has to upload more data to Xbox LIVE every time you turn it off. That obviously takes time to happen, so you notice it staying on to complete the process.

If a network connection is not available when you turn off the console, then that obviously won't happen.

Mine has done that for as long as I can remember (admittedly not that far! :rolleyes:) but I always thought it was the fact that I switched it off whilst my charger was still plugged into the controller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another big update today...