I hate Comic Relief (Merged)

1131415161719»

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    The 90s called to say they want their aid problems back.

Or maybe you missed the whole bit about how aid now tends to go directly to projects.

Gotta love that head in the sand attitude.

"now tends to" ?

so where was it going all those years before ?
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    I agree. Most people are totally unaware that many murderous African dictators have fallen on hard times in recent years, some even down to their last half dozen palaces. At least Comic Relief does its bit to help ensure they maintain the standard of living to which they've become accustomed.

Very good :D
  • ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,373
    Forum Member
    None of those articles have anything to do with Comic Relief funds.

CR money does not go to African governments, it goes directly to projects on the ground.

And why are you only going on about Africa anyway?

Says who exactly?

1 no, but Comic Relief money goes mainly to Africa and the UK, and unless Lenny Henry personally delivers every penny of the donations, then it is a safe bet that Comic Relief are vulnerable to the same corruption as any other aid money ( and I was actually replying to your comment which seemed to imply I was exaggerating the corruption problem, I was merely giving you examples.)

2 I am only going on about Africa because you are! If you wish to discuss all the money going to children in the UK then I'm all for it.

3 "sigh", because it is called the "I hate Comic Relief" thread,.
    [Bangs head against wall].
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I most cases I'd agree, but sometimes the cap fits.

I don't know about you, but I can't imagine visiting the sorts of places people visit for CR are at all jolly.

So the Zelebs stay in mud huts do they? and not in 5 star hotels and 1st class plane seats.?:confused:
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    1 no, but Comic Relief money goes mainly to Africa and the UK, and unless Lenny Henry personally delivers every penny of the donations, then it is a safe bet that Comic Relief are vulnerable to the same corruption as any other aid money ( and I was actually replying to your comment which seemed to imply I was exaggerating the corruption problem, I was merely giving you examples.)

2 I am only going on about Africa because you are! If you wish to discuss all the money going to children in the UK then I'm all for it.

We could go on all day about this, Calico is just going to bang on and on and on so lets just ignore his boring posts and continue to post about why we dont like CR ;)

CR lovers your welcome to post in here but you won't get a reply so if you want to sit there and get ignored thats fine by us :D or alternatively you could go to your lovers thread and post about how great it is.

Problem solved.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Comic Relief sketch featuring Rowan Atkinson as the Archbishop of Canterbury has drawn more than 2200 complaints to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21846036

Also the words s****** was in it.
  • brettriotbrettriot Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Charity should start at home.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    If I'm being honest - my only gripe with CR (the show) is that it is a crime against entertainment - and its paid for with our money. Having said that - I suppose my payment of the licence fee is my contribution to the charity.

And while on the subject of wasting licence payers money here's some more things I detest:

My money being used to do up people's houses when they've been stupid enough to pay up front for building work without doing any background checks on the builders.

My money being used to crash perfectly serviceable vehicles (a total crime and hurtful to people who could use a decent runaround but don't have the money to buy) by those three ********s on Top Gear.

My money being used by idiots who fancy themselves as Antiques Experts buying a £5 piece of shit for knocking on £100.

Well gripe over with.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    My money being used to crash perfectly serviceable vehicles (a total crime and hurtful to people who could use a decent runaround but don't have the money to buy) by those three ********s on Top Gear.

Top Gear makes the BBC such a massive profit from oversea sales, that there is little to complain about
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    Top Gear makes the BBC such a massive profit from oversea sales, that there is little to complain about
    I just can't stand Clarkson and Hammond (I don't mind James May so much - but mainly because I like that toy program he does - and the food & drink one he does with Oz Clark).
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised so many people are still falling hook, line and sinker for the half truths and highly selective spin perpetrated by the likes of Comic Relief with regard to African aid, but then it perhaps isn't so surprising given we have such an unquestioning media:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/media-blog/2013/mar/17/red-nose-day-no-laughing-matter

The article mentions one of very few exceptions to this stance, the excellent BBC programme shown last December called The Trouble With Aid (which, btw, I started a thread on, but not many people here seemed to have watched it). ALL African aid (and yes, Calicoe Pie, even the Comic Relief variety), will require the substantial greasing of many corrupt and murderous palms with much of the budget, supporting and strengthening these brutal regimes and leaving very little for what it was intended, and things are of course even worse when the funds are simply paid directly to the governments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »

I noticed how the BBC News article didn't specify the words that 75% of those that complained actually complained about!
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1. Not really, because the money is not entrusted to governments. The charities spend the money on the projects directly.

2. I don't think I brought up Africa first.

3. The thread title is simply the OPs view - I don't see how it dictates that that should be the view of anyone else posting.

Anyway - happy moaning!
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    People donate money to help alleviate these people's misery and provide medicines to cure their ills so that they can grow up and have more large families, who then need more food, water and medicines to keep them from dying........................and so it goes on and on and doesn't get them anywhere.
    Needless to say I don't watch or donate to any such aid although the VTs I have seen are gut wrenching but that's the idea isn't it with a load of celebs getting in on the act.
    If I had unlimited money I like to donate to the BBC and have this removed from our TV sets.once and for all.
    Nothing has changed and never will during a quarter of a century, pouring money into such causes.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

..the money is not entrusted to governments. The charities spend the money on the projects directly.

Naive, ill-informed nonsense. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, gets done in Africa without industrial scale payment to governments, militias etc., including permitting the mere presence of aid agencies. As I said in my previous post, many murderous and corrupt palms will have been handsomely greased to bring you the rose-tinted shots you see courtesy of the Comic Relief spin machine. Your knowledge and understanding of matters clearly extends no further than their simplistic half truths.

Despite there being a number of excellent publications around, I'm guessing you're not the type who would be willing to rectify the gaps in your knowledge by reading, therefore a good starting point would be to look out for a repeat showing of the BBC's The Trouble With Aid. If you like, if I spot it in the schedules I'll report back here. At the moment your ignorance, gullibility, and lack of understanding prevents you from making any meaningful contribution to the African aid debate.
  • Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm being honest - my only gripe with CR (the show) is that it is a crime against entertainment - and its paid for with our money. Having said that - I suppose my payment of the licence fee is my contribution to the charity.

And while on the subject of wasting licence payers money here's some more things I detest:

My money being used to do up people's houses when they've been stupid enough to pay up front for building work without doing any background checks on the builders.

My money being used by idiots who fancy themselves as Antiques Experts buying a £5 piece of shit for knocking on £100.

Well gripe over with.

Please can I add another one?

The money being spent to send families to Australia who have no intention of emigrating and just want a free holiday! :mad:

Thank you!
  • lucky67lucky67 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Naive, ill-informed nonsense. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, gets done in Africa without industrial scale payment to governments, militias etc., including permitting the mere presence of aid agencies. As I said in my previous post, many murderous and corrupt palms will have been handsomely greased to bring you the rose-tinted shots you see courtesy of the Comic Relief spin machine. Your knowledge and understanding of matters clearly extends no further than their simplistic half truths.

Despite there being a number of excellent publications around, I'm guessing you're not the type who would be willing to rectify the gaps in your knowledge by reading, therefore a good starting point would be to look out for a repeat showing of the BBC's The Trouble With Aid. If you like, if I spot it in the schedules I'll report back here. At the moment your ignorance, gullibility, and lack of understanding prevents you from making any meaningful contribution to the African aid debate.

Really really good point...not sure if it was in 'The Trouble with Aid' or elsewhere but the thing that always sticks in my head is making poor people pay ( a token payment) for things like mosquito nets. The rational being that things that are free have no value...eg these are often used as fishing nets...
    Also people selling other things that have been given to them - or even coercing others to give them to sell - and the money isn't going to feed their children!
    I also think contraception is the most important thing...why battle to keep a child living in a slum alive when they are going to grow up, live a miserable life and have children who will (unless there is a miracle somewhere - and I can't see that happening anytime soon) be in the same situation...
    (although I understand that these children are needed to keep the parents in old age etc and the survival rate is so low that you need to keep producing them to ensure one (at least) will survive...
    (An argument for the introduction welfare state in this country)
    Forum Member
    Please can I add another one?

The money being spent to send families to Australia who have no intention of emigrating and just want a free holiday! :mad:

Thank you!
    That rankles me too - however - thats ITV territory isn't it - so its the ads that pay for that - not licence fee payers. I've often actually thought of writing to the show saying we're intending moving (make up a story about having lots of money, getting a suitable job there, etc, etc) just so I can have a free holiday. I'm sure that's all the families are doing it for anyway.