Options

Gadget Show Monday 19th Feb. Watch it!

Tc7Tc7 Posts: 2,114
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The presenters are covering flat screen tv's in this episode. Ive a feeling Plasma will come out of it well!

"A flatscreen television is one of the most expensive gadgets that any household can buy, so to help guide consumers through the minefield of choice, Jason and Suzi head to the shops. Checking out all the contenders, the pair cover plasma and LCD screens and examine the range of sizes available. When they have made their choices – Suzi a plasma and Jason an LCD – a group of football fans is gathered and a fake pitch assembled. The screens are then placed at either end of the pitch as goals, and the machine that attracts the highest viewing figures is crowned the ultimate flatscreen."

Channel 5 Monday night!

Tc

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this episode is anything like the one a couple of years ago when they were testing/reviewing crt tellys i will take anything they say with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    wonder if they`ll do one of there stupid "can it withstand" tests..

which data storage will withstand being burnt in a fire

which laptop will still work after being used as a tenis racket, and then blown up

which mobile will still work after being shot at

which flat screen will withstand a Wii remote being thrown at it from a distance of 1` then being trampled on by a heard of rampaging wilder beast. (one they might use for this episode)

sometimes this show is just stupid, other times you know which BRAND will win... skyHD V cableHD oh i wonder..., more people can get skyHD more channels are on sky HD who will win...

which MP3 is better, so ask the public to chose between an Ipod and other brands, but don`t mask the looks, so they all chose Ipod!!!

so to predict which tv will win, my money is on a Sony Brava
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...No chance!! It will be a Plasma!!

Tc
  • Options
    AubreyStevensAubreyStevens Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fully agree Tener

They'll probably dunk a Plasma Tv in a tank of water.

I'd prefer a serious show with decent presenters and stop rushing, do one item for ten mins and then onto the next don't dart back and forth like a blue arse fly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this episode is anything like the one a couple of years ago when they were testing/reviewing crt tellys i will take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

Or looking at a LCD from 12" and commenting on the picture quality in a small dark room with god knows what source material and setup time.

Thank god I had some good sources of information from various AV forums back then and not just a TV show with all it's limitations.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    The gadget show has always been lightweight in giving a respected opinion on any gadget. Only worth watching to see whats out there then research at more respectable venues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they have any sense they will pick a pioneer and a sony, then the pioneer will come out on top.

I think the gadget show is to gadgets what top gear is to cars, just related fun and not a review show
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll probably pick either a top end Plasma V's a bog standard LCD or vice-versa. They'll then make a sweeping statement about the quality of all the LCD's/Plasmas in the world.

Lets see.

Last year they heavily went for lcd after reviewing a top end LCD against a mid end plasma.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they have any sense they will pick a pioneer and a sony, then the pioneer will come out on top.

I think the gadget show is to gadgets what top gear is to cars, just related fun and not a review show

Or a Panasoinc V Sony
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK so its tv's less than a grand and over 40"!

Good tip, errrr, it appears that the more money spent, then better the tv!!

Tc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Precisely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It came down to the Panasonic TH-42PX60E which they value it at £880and a Samsung LCD 40"!

Result was a draw!!

Much was made about the Plasma's tendency for burn-in!!
    Is 'burn in' really an issue?

Tc

I want a 'Lick Watch'!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    have they fallen out with sony cause they won`t let them borrow a PS3, tv not even in the short list, just a mention, and the sony 3rd on a test..

but got to admit this was a good test of a tv, STILL showing the brand, telling them which was plasma which was lcd, and looking at the quality from about 12" away from the screen, just how you`d watch tv at home.

and in the end still no winner.

next week Ipod V unknown brand which is toughest when being attacked at PAINTBALL!!! only last week my MP3 player got broke when i was paintballed! :eek: if only i had watched this first, why is life so crule :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My eyes were watering watching footy on a LCD via SD camera and dsat distribution scaled up to 1366*768 on another LCD, never seen footy look so bad:)

It was a shame the "testing" was so such a gimmick. It would have been more accurate and probably had just as much impact showing the two TV's in a pub/bar where you weren't standing look down from a few feet away.
    It would have been even better in two "average" family rooms with real positioning and lighting so the people could judge is a more realistic enviroment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Screen burn can happen to any TV, including CRT, if screen burn happens, it's advised to put the tv on a different channel without a ident for a few days and the burn will go.

SONY only produde LCD Tv's now, Panasonic's have always been selling more than SONY's in my view.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skinj wrote:
    They'll probably pick either a top end Plasma V's a bog standard LCD or vice-versa. They'll then make a sweeping statement about the quality of all the LCD's/Plasmas in the world.

Lets see.

And that the did!

Girlfriend suggested I turned the program off at the start as she knows that sort of thing winds me up :) - like the starting comment - "make sure it has a digital tuner built in"..... WHY??! Alot of people have sky, or cable, and with an external freeview tuner you get the choice of a PVR (like I did ;))

Still they fixed it as a "draw" to avoid a backlash of angry letters I think :)
  • Options
    poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an awful programme. Why couldn't they have presented the comparison in a normal way without having to have all the far*ing about with a soccer pitch and the bl**dy awful music.

I switched off before they got to the answer, and it's a programme I will not be tempted to watch again.

Are all Channel Five programmes as bad as this? No wonder I (or anybody else in the household) watch it. :mad:
  • Options
    AubreyStevensAubreyStevens Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also had to switch off,all that drum music in the background all the time makes it impossible for me to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote:
    What an awful programme. Why couldn't they have presented the comparison in a normal way without having to have all the far*ing about with a soccer pitch and the bl**dy awful music.

I switched off before they got to the answer, and it's a programme I will not be tempted to watch again.

Are all Channel Five programmes as bad as this? No wonder I (or anybody else in the household) watch it. :mad:

This is one of the better ones!
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Did anyone notice that the Samsungs Picture actually looked better??- in the studio with the two side by side, the Panasonic Plasma seemed to have a green/gray tone to the black and looked washed out in the lights. The moving letters they were displaying on both weren’t as bright as the Samsung either- basically the Samsung looked like it has a better Contrast, there was a definite difference there- and i preferred the Samsung.
    Couldn’t see which was the best in the test because A- They didn’t have the camera on the screens and B the camera was jumping all over the place anyway.... Although I got more motion blur on the Football frottage on my TV they were displaying than normal... strange!! (Actually the Gadget Shows Picture is real bad for LCD tellys.. the colour and contrast are always far to high- A Technology show with one of the worst pictures i have seen!!

Didn’t agree with the outcome- but did agree that they picked the right screens, I have seen the Samsung alongside the Sony and Toshiba equivalents- Toshibas image was less sharp and Sonys was Dull so thumbs up on the choices
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    severn wrote:
    SONY only produde LCD Tv's now, Panasonic's have always been selling more than SONY's in my view.

Your view is VERY wrong, Sony far out sell Panasonic - the figures are published every year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your view is VERY wrong, Sony far out sell Panasonic - the figures are published every year.

Definitely, and i'm sure the main reason for that is design. Panasonic seem to be a year behind in colour and design.

Last year their LCDs were black (LXD50/52/500) whereas every other brand was silver.

This year, all the other brands are black, and the Panasonic's are silver! (LXD60/600).

Silly Panasonic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    poppasmurf wrote:

I skipped through a lot of it this week, but usually I think it's pretty good.
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also had to switch off,all that drum music in the background all the time makes it impossible for me to watch.

Turn the sound down then? :D
  • Options
    comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have they fallen out with sony cause they won`t let them borrow a PS3
    I thought they got hold of a PS3 shortly after they had the Wii on?