Cat with a very wet face on one side only?

Sherry TrifleSherry Trifle Posts: 2,022
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bit of a strange one this.

Cat came in when I came in a couple of hours ago, everything normal. Have been upstairs and just came down to switch off lights etc for bed and he was lying on the settee and I noticed droplets of water around him, and then noticed that there were drops on him too. Did the obvious and checked the ceiling for leaks (:D), nothing there.

Next I notice that one side of his face is soaking?

He's whinging but usually does at bedtime til we settle cos he's after going back out again but isn't allowed. Other than that he seems fine, just this sopping wet fur on one side of his face?

Off to bed now and keep an eye on him.

Any ideas how or why his face got wet, and the other water that seemed to be splashed on and around him though?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check his mouth in case there's something going on in his mouth which may cause excess drooling. Missing/damage teeth, teeth gone bad or something nasty gumwise can cause excess drooling. In any of these cases or if it happens again then gte him to the vet for a checkup.

Or maybe he's just had his head somewhere he shouldn't. I have a cat who likes to play in the bath right after you have had a shower.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Drooling can also be a sign of liver disease.

My dog started to drool a few months ago and has now been diagnosed with something called MVD which is internal live shunt and where toxins are not dealt with by the live properly causing them to go into the bloodsteam and into the brain causing drooling and other sysmtoms.

She has to have a special low protein diet and lactulose with all meals. shes ok at the moment.

Has your cat been lethargic at all or acting a bit "strange"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely get a vet visit ~ very often this sort of drooling is caused by something wrong in the mouth, e.g. abcess, tooth problems, but can also be a sign of other potentially serious things like poisoning. I hope your cat is ok.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a strange one this.

Cat came in when I came in a couple of hours ago, everything normal. Have been upstairs and just came down to switch off lights etc for bed and he was lying on the settee and I noticed droplets of water around him, and then noticed that there were drops on him too. Did the obvious and checked the ceiling for leaks (:D), nothing there.

Next I notice that one side of his face is soaking?

He's whinging but usually does at bedtime til we settle cos he's after going back out again but isn't allowed. Other than that he seems fine, just this sopping wet fur on one side of his face?

Off to bed now and keep an eye on him.

Any ideas how or why his face got wet, and the other water that seemed to be splashed on and around him though?

Is it a leather or plastic settee, i.e. the sort of material that might cause condensation? If the cat's been lying on his side, he might (a) have been drooling on the side nearer the settee surface (and don't we all do that sometimes when asleep!!), and (b) have created a layer of condensation on his fur from the moisture in his breath hitting the settee surface. I'd watch him when he's NOT asleep and see if he still drools.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he been frontline recentley. that does cause drewiling. He could have licked at something as well. I would say a vet visit is in order just incase. Let us know how he is
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    It could be a burst abscess.

Try to see if there is a small hole / loose flesh.

If s/he wont let you it probably is.

Vets either way (abscess needs anti-bio).
  • Sherry TrifleSherry Trifle Posts: 2,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, & apologies for not getting back to the thread earlier, have been out all day with work, "team building".

Found more slobber in the cat bed this morning although he seemed fine in himself. Had a battle and some scratched wallpaper but persuaded him not to go out, so he has been in all day. Just got home now and he seems fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check his mouth in case there's something going on in his mouth which may cause excess drooling. Missing/damage teeth, teeth gone bad or something nasty gumwise can cause excess drooling. In any of these cases or if it happens again then gte him to the vet for a checkup.

Or maybe he's just had his head somewhere he shouldn't. I have a cat who likes to play in the bath right after you have had a shower.

Yes, I checked inside his mouth, no sign of any swellings or sores or broken teeth etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chihuahuas wrote: »
    Drooling can also be a sign of liver disease.

My dog started to drool a few months ago and has now been diagnosed with something called MVD which is internal live shunt and where toxins are not dealt with by the live properly causing them to go into the bloodsteam and into the brain causing drooling and other sysmtoms.

She has to have a special low protein diet and lactulose with all meals. shes ok at the moment.

Has your cat been lethargic at all or acting a bit "strange"?

No, no strange behaviour, thanks though, will keep an extra eye out for anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Is it a leather or plastic settee, i.e. the sort of material that might cause condensation? If the cat's been lying on his side, he might (a) have been drooling on the side nearer the settee surface (and don't we all do that sometimes when asleep!!), and (b) have created a layer of condensation on his fur from the moisture in his breath hitting the settee surface. I'd watch him when he's NOT asleep and see if he still drools.

It is a leather settee, but he lies on it quite often and I've not noticed this happen before, plus he was lying on his own little folded chenille throw :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    Has he been frontline recentley. that does cause drewiling. He could have licked at something as well. I would say a vet visit is in order just incase. Let us know how he is

He was Frontlined three weeks ago tomorrow, right after he came home from a night-time adventure and I saw a flea leap off him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    It could be a burst abscess.

Try to see if there is a small hole / loose flesh.

If s/he wont let you it probably is.

Vets either way (abscess needs anti-bio).

There's no smell at all though, and no signs of abcess or wound anywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »
    Definitely get a vet visit ~ very often this sort of drooling is caused by something wrong in the mouth, e.g. abcess, tooth problems, but can also be a sign of other potentially serious things like poisoning. I hope your cat is ok.

He seems fine at the moment, but yes, I know what you mean about poisoning, I lost one dear cat to sudden kidney failure and think that was poisoning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he stressed in any way? When we moved house my cat had saliva literally hanging out of her mouth in the carrier. It looked very dramatic but after she settled down she was fine. If it doesn't settle down then I think a vet's visit is best. I agree with those who say a tooth/mouth infection may be the cause. My tabbies are very prone to tooth problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he stressed in any way? When we moved house my cat had saliva literally hanging out of her mouth in the carrier. It looked very dramatic but after she settled down she was fine. If it doesn't settle down then I think a vet's visit is best. I agree with those who say a tooth/mouth infection may be the cause. My tabbies are very prone to tooth problems.

No, nothing stressing him that I know of, although there is a new feline bully in the neighbourhood who he has been sparring with recently, so perhaps that may be affecting him but I doubt it, he's a bit of a little hardcase (or thinks he is) :D