How did you rate ITV's coverage of the World Cup?

2»

Comments

• clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scorer wrote: »
    He is a broadcaster and has been for some years now.

This is 2010 you know.

I go to my local football ground every other week during the season. It doesn't make me a footballer. ;)
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you rate ITV's coverage of the World Cup?

Putting aside the small matter of ITV HD cutting to a car ad so we missed one of England's three goals scored in the tournament, about the same as BBC's. Decent. BBC's online coverage was better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    It was all threadbare, people on that needed interpreters / subtitles , others who needed charisma implant operations & guffaws trying to tell us the patently blody obvious. Mark Bright has to rank as one of the worst co-commentators ever inflicted , jesus , what a annoying b*******! Then chuck in the snoozefest for games & no wonder viewers where losing the will to live, i forggoten how many times i tuned in , & after 10-15 mins jacked it in & did something else. Toss up what was worse the gasbags or the faires/ old women on the pitch?

ITV's always been dire for football, doesnt matter which has been on a fat contract they poach from the BBC its always has that feel of being done on the cheap, chuck in the likes of Andy Townsend , Keegan, etc its just awful.

The BBC kept faith with Capt Scarlett & the other bores from Liverpool's golden era from 20-30 years ago, chuck in Shearer & Dixon , good lord above. Only Clarance Seedorf had any iota about what he was talking about.

Commentary & punditry gets worse every tournament as ITV / BBC try to out gasbag each other. Wouldnt mind if they had people on with an opinion. Oh for the days of Mercer , Clough & Allison or Don Revie.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    anyone else glad we don't have to hear:

why boo yeh eee africa

every again. whatever that means
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC generally get away with murder. People default to watching the BBC because there are no adverts. Unfortunately this breeds complacency and means that the BBC Football team don't see the need or urgency to improve their coverage. With the exception of their online coverage - which is excellent and at least a match for Sky's - I can't think of any other area (commentary, co-commentary, presenters, punditry, music and titles etc) where the BBC has improved in the past ten years: in fact, quite the reverse.

Regards Lineker - he IS a broadcaster, just a mediocre one. When he reads from the autocue, his voice goes up and down in an exagerrated way. It's as if he still hasn't mastered the art of reading the autocue as if he's speaking naturally.

Any authority Lineker has comes from his achievements as a great footballer, not from any skill as a presenter. Des Lynam was a far better all-round broadcaster, and it didn't matter one jot that he'd never been a professional footballer.