Rail seating

123457»

Comments

• Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    If you buy a ticket in a "standing area" why would you moan about standing?

Having a area where its known you are standing would surely stop people moaning about standing when they came thinking they would sit down?

With regards to adults with Children the same.

At the moment what happens is someone buys a ticket thinking they can sit down and they find they cannot due to it being a area where everyone stands. Same with kids, I doubt there has been a game gone by in which I cannot remember someone bringing their kids to the game and being surprised when they couldn't see anything, A designated standing area stops all that,

I know you're not necessarily intending for it to come across that way but you're implying it's the fans who come along expecting to sit, that are the problem, getting in the way of those who want to stand, when really as they buy a ticket for a seat then they do have every right to assume they will be sat down in fairness.
    Are you mainly talking away for this scenario because surely at home if there's areas that have become largely known as 'unofficial singing areas' ie where persistent standing is not challenged, then people would start getting the message that perhaps avoid those sections of the ground or is it that you get a lot of 'day tripper' type fans rather than regulars as such?

I suppose supporting a team in League One, I'm pretty lucky when it comes to this whole issue, my team still has a traditional terrace for home fans (last season though!) and although we have a healthy following away from home it's rare we completely sell out our allocation so stewards are normally happy to let people 'sit' anywhere and then those who wish to stand inevitably gravitate towards the back of the stand to stand and those who wish to sit, sit closer to the pitch and everyone's reasonably happy. The only problem comes when it's allocated seating, mates get separated, people who want to stand are spread across, people start to moan etc. Though I guess the bigger the team you follow the bigger the problem this is.

The whole idea of Safe Standing has been floating around for a long time and actually football league clubs certainly have been considering trialing the idea so it's not just in Scotland. My team Scunthorpe are moving into a new stadium hopefully in time for the start of the 2016/17 season and as a club that has has a terrace at the heart of its support, and have said if legislation was changed to allow safe standing in The Championship (Don't laugh we have grand plans:D) then we absolutely would want a safe standing area.
    Most Football League clubs when surveyed DID back Safe Standing by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26079503

Bristol City's new stadium development also have plans to include rail seating but unless legislation changes, only spectators at the stadium visiting for Rugby games will be permitted to use the area for standing.
    They also installed a small 'demonstration block' of rail seating in the current ground
    http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20140212-safestanding-1354602.aspx

The situation with Ashton Gate being allowed to use rail seating for rugby games but NOT for football matches completely illustrates to me what the main stumbling blocks are for pushing through Safe Standing legislation.
    They are saying that yes it is perfectly safe and acceptable to use rail seating standing areas but CLEARLY this is only safe if the spectator is there if you're watching a sport with an oval ball and not a round one:cool:
    So the argument about there being no such thing as 'Safe Standing' doesn't hold up if they are to allow rugby supporters to use this form of rail seating in the UK. What they REALLY mean is there is no such thing as Safe Standing in Football probably blighted by the negative stereotypical image of ''the average football fan'' perpetuated by stories in the media no doubt.
    So there you go folks if you're watching rugby then it is perfectly FINE to have Safe Standing areas because after all there is no such thing is a 'rugby hooligan' is there. I just think people have this image of at football matches it would solely be populated by men but our current terrace is far from populated by just men. Men, women, children of all ages CHOOSE to stand every week, I daresay at the rugby this section would be full of a similar mix and the football crowd wouldn't be any different.
    Finally I just wanted to say in the near 20 years our stadium with 3 ends seated and one terrace, there has been one significant incident where someone fell 15ft into the exit way and guess what? It occurred when people were standing in the seated areas.:cool:
    Saying that though this was the away end and it does seem to be away fans that particularly stand en masse and I haven't seen any proposal for safe standing to be away fans provision so I guess for those who go home and away whilst at home you would get the compromise but away the same problems would still occur of standing in designated seating areas.
    It's certainly something most football league clubs want though and for those who want evidence about whether it could work in THIS country, non league Grimsby became the first to trial rail seating recently...
    http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/news/marinersinhistoricsafestandingfirst
    (Oh look is that a woman I see using this area? Surely not!:kitty:)
  • Derek1903Derek1903 Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    The younger generation don't want safe seats.

It's mostly older folk who moan about seating and atmosphere.

Terracing is not family friendly football. May be fine in a lower leauge match but not when people are crushed in.

Nobody is crushed in. Plus it`s only at the ends. You can still buy your ticket from the side and watch in a family atmosphere where everyone is sitting, But why stop or be against the people that want to stand?
    whedon247 wrote: »
    go to watch the sport, not to go on the lash with the lads.
    It`s called support! It`s football not a theatre or cinema. It has a culture for years.

If you want to just sit that`s fine. There are areas for that but behind the goals should be for standing fans that want to sing 90 minutes supporting their team.

It's ignorance to forget Hillsborough >:(

Still even today talk of it goes on that's how much we tried to spend millions on stadiums to prevent it ever happening again.

Disgusting people can forget so easy.

That wasn`t from no seats or standing that was for letting too many people in. Ignorant people can forget so easy!
    The rails will get in the way when they are used as seats on Champions Leauge games too. One would imagine they will have to be folded down or shut that area off meaning the capacity may be less.
    German clubs do that system perfectly fine. For example the capacity of a stand is 25,000 at Dortmund in league games but in CL games it drops a few thousand when the seats are pulled down.

Surely this is a better atmosphere to have!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHas38WdhP0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV16U3TYSuo
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol was not aware that seats do not allow singing. do they come with gags?