Editing posts

Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,565
Forum Member
✭✭
I just wanted to edit a post I made about 7 hours ago. There was no function to do so.

So instead I just made another post in that thread to make the point I wanted to change (nothing drastic, it was only a thread about crisps). I can edit that new post if I want.

Is there a time limit in which a post can be edited? If so, why? And for how long do you have the ability to edit before it is taken away?

Comments

• embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    I thought you could only edit a post if there were no replies after it, but that may be wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you have fifteen minutes to edit them, maybe a little longer.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the limit is 30 minutes or until you log out, whichever happens soonest. I think editing a post after seven hours is a bit pointless*. After that time, the thread has either moved on from your original post, or has died. Either way, chances are no-one will read the edits you've made.

* ETA - unless you're just trying to to cover your own arse about something. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    According to the site's own FAQ...

"If you have registered, you will be able to edit your posts. Your ability to edit your posts is limited to sixty minutes after you post them."
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I think the limit is 30 minutes or until you log out, whichever happens soonest. I think editing a post after seven hours is a bit pointless. After that time, the thread has either moved on from your original post, or has died. Either way, chances are no-one will read the edits you've made.

I totally disagree on that. Many people who subscribe to a thread will go back to a thread regardless. If they have been out at work seven hours or more, there is every chance they go back to a thread.

Your theory is nonsensical.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    I totally disagree on that. Many people who subscribe to a thread will go back to a thread regardless. If they have been out at work seven hours or more, there is every chance they go back to a thread.

Your theory is nonsensical.

Ah, so it's a CYA edit then if it's that important. ;)
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    The time limit on edits was brought in fairly recently, maybe a year back. I think it was to reduce the chance of disputes about people changing the meaning of what they said originally etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    I think it's a good idea, it gives you plenty of time to edit it after to alter, add any extra or correct typos etc but stops people altering posts hours or days later which can confuse threads....bottom line is don't post anything you will regret the next day!