Spoilers & Information Beginning to Come In (Part 2)

Comments

• C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I really don't think they should introduce main characters halfway through the series again. I think Clara may have been better off having a full series so the people that don't like her that much had more episodes to get used to her before the next series.

"I don't think they should introduce main characters halfway through the series again. I think the Second Doctor and Jamie have been better off having a full series so the people that don't like them that much had more episodes to get used them before the next series....":rolleyes:
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    "I don't think they should introduce main characters halfway through the series again. I think the Second Doctor and Jamie have been better off having a full series so the people that don't like them that much had more episodes to get used them before the next series....":rolleyes:

I don't know what you're doing. I'm probably being slow.
  • TopovTopov Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    I don't know what you're doing. I'm probably being slow.

He's erroneously comparing the TV environment of 2013 with that of the mid 1960s.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    His point being that companions have arrived mid season in the past before with little fuss, some of them being very popular and well remembered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His point being that companions have arrived mid season in the past before with little fuss, some of them being very popular and well remembered.

But I wasn't saying it doesn't work at all. I'm just saying that lots of people have not taken to Clara, many giving the reason that her introduction feels too rushed and we know little about her. She's come in with only 8 episodes, there's only so much you can show about her backstory when you have to fit a full story in to a 45 minute time slot.

Sorry if it sounded like I was saying that it's never worked before. I really am seriously sorry.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    But I wasn't saying it doesn't work at all. I'm just saying that lots of people have not taken to Clara.

Those people are idiots.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I wasn't saying it doesn't work at all. I'm just saying that lots of people have not taken to Clara, many giving the reason that her introduction feels too rushed and we know little about her. She's come in with only 8 episodes, there's only so much you can show about her backstory when you have to fit a full story in to a 45 minute time slot.

Sorry if it sounded like I was saying that it's never worked before. I really am seriously sorry.

If people don't like a character after 8 episodes they are generally not going to like the character after 13 episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    If people don't like a character after 8 episodes they are generally not going to like the character after 13 episodes.

Oh I don't know. I didn't like Amy at all during S5. But when S6 began I fell in live with her character completely.

On the other foot though I loved Rose during S1 but strongly disliked what her character became in S2.

The only companion who I've never changed my mind on was Martha. I loved her from word go and never got the flak she got. A normal, smart but vulnerable companion who made the Doctor a better person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But that's not what I'm saying. There are 8 45 minute slots which need to be filled with 8 stories, stories which are near enough half way through a series. If a companion was introduced at the start there could be small parts of their lives/information revealed in each episode at the start. But now there are 8 episodes, 8 episodes that are sort of concentrating around three things, the third introduction of Clara, Clara's Mystery and the Doctor's secret/finale/run up to the 50th. There's a lot to fit in with this half and the squeeze could have an impact on people's impression of Jenna, that's what I'm saying.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Technically Clara was introduced at the start of Series 7 though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Technically Clara was introduced at the start of Series 7 though.

But not this one, this was the third introduction, like I said.
    We know Clara (sort of) but this Clara didn't know the doctor and we had to meet her so it was still an introduction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmmnnn I see that JLC's comment in this article on the Finale does tie in with recent rumours.
    Hinting at what to expect from the finale, Coleman teased: "All I can say is that Clara hasn't just met the Doctor three times before."
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmmnnn I see that JLC's comment in this article on the Finale does tie in with recent rumours.

I did immediately think about the idea that she gets fractured and sent back to help him multiple times, yes. I did think that the gist of that synopsis sounded plausible but the only question mark is how someone has seen it to leak it. It's been viewed and rated by the bbfc so it's obviously been seen by some.

Also makes me more convinced that Clara is just an ordinary girl and not any of these other theories (some relative, another time lady etc...) because of Moffat's continued insistence people won't guess. That's a completely Moffat thing to do - spend several years writing tricksy plots then write one that seems tricksy when it's just not and he's been telling the truth since the start. There's no mystery about who Clara is, it's what she does in the finale that splits her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Name of the Doctor, official synopsis: http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-7-finale-the-name-of-the-doctor-synopsis-48343.htm

Intriguing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask a question? It really confuses me and I really should know by know.

Do the Silence want to stop the Doctor from reaching Trenzalore and answering the question because it would destroy the Silence, as in Silence Will Fall, or is it the Doctor who would die because in The Wedding of River Song he said it was his silence?

Because if it is the Silence that falls,
    The Whispermen can't be working for the Silence,as some commenters suggested under the synopsis, because the silence don't want him to reach Trenzalore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fire Host wrote: »
    The Name of the Doctor, official synopsis: http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-7-finale-the-name-of-the-doctor-synopsis-48343.htm

Intriguing.

"It’s a deadly trap that threatens to unravel his past, present and future…"

Again, that does seem to fit with the synopsis posted a little while ago.

Also
    could the conference call involve River? It still seems likely that she's the one who gave Clara his number in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do the Silence want to stop the Doctor from reaching Trenzalore and answering the question because it would destroy the Silence, as in Silence Will Fall, or is it the Doctor who would die because in The Wedding of River Song he said it was his silence?

The Whispermen can't be working for the Silence,as some commenters suggested under the synopsis, because the silence don't want him to reach Trenzalore.

The way I've seen it, the Silence weren't exactly 'bad guys' strictly with typical motives. They had somehow heard of a prophecy that said they would be wiped out if the Doctor ever went to Trenzalore and revealed his secret. So their solution? Kill him before that could ever happen using any means necessary. At the moment they believe they've succeeded.

However, I don't think it's just the Silence particularly in danger if the Doctor goes to Trenzalore. I think whatever he reveals there would have/will have disastrous consequences for everyone. It's simply that the Silence have only heard about their own destruction as part of this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-series-7-finale-will-change-the-course-of-who-forever-48342.htm

Moffat: “We wanted a brand new monster to create chills in the finale. And the thought of stylish whispering almost faceless creatures was an idea that firstly scared me and that I thought would work well in an episode that looks forward and back.”

Hyping up the final story of the run he said: “It’s full of surprises and questions that have never been answered in the history of Who, including the Doctors greatest secret. We’re not pretending, we’re not kidding, it’s actually going to happen. The episode is called The Name of the Doctor and involves our hero in a conflict that is very, very personal to him. Usually he’s saving other people, but this time he might be the one who needs to be saved.

“We’ll also find out what makes his new companion so impossible and there’s a surprise that no one has got right so far, and one that will change the course of Who forever!”

Somehow that isn't inspiring me with confidence. But then again, he did say the same thing about A Good Man, and said that someone would absolutely die in The Impossible Astronaut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Silence want to stop the Doctor answering the QUESTION "Doctor Who?", however while the Doctor and the other Characters (Dorium and the Silence themselves) seem to know what will happen when the question is answered we the audience don't.

Could be that the Time Lock is reopened, could be the Television show ceases to exist (The Silence could be fans), it could be anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-series-7-finale-will-change-the-course-of-who-forever-48342.htm

Moffat: “We wanted a brand new monster to create chills in the finale. And the thought of stylish whispering almost faceless creatures was an idea that firstly scared me and that I thought would work well in an episode that looks forward and back.”

Hyping up the final story of the run he said: “It’s full of surprises and questions that have never been answered in the history of Who, including the Doctors greatest secret. We’re not pretending, we’re not kidding, it’s actually going to happen. The episode is called The Name of the Doctor and involves our hero in a conflict that is very, very personal to him. Usually he’s saving other people, but this time he might be the one who needs to be saved.

“We’ll also find out what makes his new companion so impossible and there’s a surprise that no one has got right so far, and one that will change the course of Who forever!”

Somehow that isn't inspiring me with confidence. But then again, he did say the same thing about A Good Man, and said that someone would absolutely die in The Impossible Astronaut.

As much as I like him (as far back as Press Gang so I am not anti Moff) I am so bored of this bollocks he spouts about changing Who and how important it will be and how nothing will ever be the same.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    According to the, I believe reliable, Mr F, formerly of Gallifrey Base, now of Planet Mondas. This is a full synopsis for The Name Of The Doctor, if true contains huge spoilers for both that ep and the 50th:
    This is the synopsis of The Name of the Doctor

Clara is privvy to a conversation she'd rather not have heard. Something rings a bell in her head though. She is remembering the unrememberal!

The Doctor is forced to travel to Trenzalore (which isn't what you think it is!) with RIVER SONG and CLARA

They must enter something they know is a trap. The spring is the Doctor's name. We do not hear this, but River speaks it.

It is a trap laid by the GREAT INTELLIGENCE. He has ALL the Doctor's past trapped in a PANDORICA-like prison and only needs the eleventh Doctor to finish the job!

ALL the other Doctors feature. CLARA tries to save the Doctor, but is splintered in Time similar to the JAGAROTH - these are the "other" Claras met by the Doctor.

It ends with ANOTHER DOCTOR one no one knew existed, being released from a TIME LOCK
    John Hurt.

This leads into the SPECIAL EPISODE.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the, I believe reliable, Mr F, formerly of Gallifrey Base, now of Planet Mondas. This is a full synopsis for The Name Of The Doctor, if true contains huge spoilers for both that ep and the 50th:
    This is the synopsis of The Name of the Doctor

Clara is privvy to a conversation she'd rather not have heard. Something rings a bell in her head though. She is remembering the unrememberal!

The Doctor is forced to travel to Trenzalore (which isn't what you think it is!) with RIVER SONG and CLARA

They must enter something they know is a trap. The spring is the Doctor's name. We do not hear this, but River speaks it.

It is a trap laid by the GREAT INTELLIGENCE. He has ALL the Doctor's past trapped in a PANDORICA-like prison and only needs the eleventh Doctor to finish the job!

ALL the other Doctors feature. CLARA tries to save the Doctor, but is splintered in Time similar to the JAGAROTH - these are the "other" Claras met by the Doctor.

It ends with ANOTHER DOCTOR one no one knew existed, being released from a TIME LOCK
    John Hurt.

This leads into the SPECIAL EPISODE.

That has a ring of plausibility about it I must say. Only thing is where the Whispermen fit in to that.
    Forum Member
    That has a ring of plausibility about it I must say. Only thing is where the Whispermen fit in to that.

From the official synopsis they appear to be doing the kidnapping.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the official synopsis they appear to be doing the kidnapping.

What do you reckon then Sid? Sounds like the truth to me...
    Forum Member
    What do you reckon then Sid? Sounds like the truth to me...

Given it's source, I'm treating it with a lot less suspicion than the other theories, I hope it's true. We do know that the GI are back, the final scenes were filmed in secret recently (confimed by Moffat in DWM) and the also reliable The Doctor's Trainers did say we'd see some past Doctors before the 50th (1, 2 and 8).
This discussion has been closed.