Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok I'll give Lennon that one - only thing he's done creatively all game.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knarf44 wrote: »
    ok I'll give Lennon that one - only thing he's done creatively all game.

He put one in for Ade 1st half.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok 2 things in 80 mins so far - that'll get him a world cup place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok 2 things in 80 mins so far - that'll get him a world cup place.

I think you are being very harsh. He's not had a bad game, and the 2nd half all round has been far better. Been a good game to watch, with a fair few chances.

Game of two halves as they say on telly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adebayor woke up at half-time and decided to get involved which helped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 free headers for Chamkh a better player would have buried. Better second half but considering how often we were exposed defensively I still have serious concerns about the quality of some of our players. We need 2 new full backs and a more pacy CB to replace Dawson.

My man of the match was Bentaleb.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Season-on-season vs. the 'same' opposition we remain +1 (this fixture replaces QPR at home last season).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Palace created more than we would have expected a side like them to, and they played well.

We were the better team 2nd half, and also could have had more.

A 2-0 win from such a game is good news. We can always look and say we need better players, and to make top four on a regular basis, we need them.

With what we have, we are good for 5th, 6th or 7th, as I've thought all along. These are the games we have to win, and then try and get something over those challenging for the same positions.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doh .. accidentally looked at the result again when i wanted to watch it on football first tonight. good win though, keeps us well in the hunt for the top 4.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...My man of the match was Bentaleb.
    I have to agree there despite preferring Capoue to of started in the centre. The 19 year old showed most of his team mates up in his commitment, effort and motivation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bentaleb looks a very good prospect, and all credit to the manager for introducing him to the side the way he has.

I thought todays game was entertaining, and I'm delighted with the result.
  • Ian KaneIan Kane Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With what we have, we are good for 5th, 6th or 7th, as I've thought all along. These are the games we have to win, and then try and get something over those challenging for the same positions.

You keep banging that drum. You can say "as I've thought all along" at the end of the season. As I stands right now we're only 6 points off the top over half way through the season. Must be a real downer with that half empty glass of yours.

I think Chelsea, Woolwich & City will be top 3 in some order but I also think we have as good a chance of 4th as Liverpool, United & Everton. I've always got my fingers crossed for that Woolwich collapse too !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Kane wrote: »
    You keep banging that drum. You can say "as I've thought all along" at the end of the season. As I stands right now we're only 6 points off the top over half way through the season. Must be a real downer with that half empty glass of yours.

I think Chelsea, Woolwich & City will be top 3 in some order but I also think we have as good a chance of 4th as Liverpool, United & Everton. I've always got my fingers crossed for that Woolwich collapse too !

You and me both sir ;)

March is going to be tough though as we're away to Chelsea and Liverpool and at home to Ars*nal. After Liverpool on the 29th, we've got Sunderland, West Brom, Fulham, Stoke, The Spammers and Villa on the final day - as they currently stand, almost the entire bottom half of the table. So with a run-in like that it really is anybody's game and I certainly think Top 4 is more than achievable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Kane wrote: »

We can manage 4th, and I've said that before, but more realistically we probably wont.

I think we have more chance now, and I'm enjoying what I'm seeing, as I said.

There were more negative posts about todays game than mine. I enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was hard not to be negative in that first halfas once again our players managed to make themselves look vastly inferior to a bottom half side. It wasn't that Palace were particularly good but we allowed them too much time and space by not competing. Thankfully we woke up at HT and decided we actually wanted to win the game.
  • mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Really poor first half from 8 or 9 players - maybe the team was expecting Palace to put 10 men behind the ball. A lot better in the second half but Spurs inexplicably took the foot off the gas after scoring just the one goal - especially as Palace were rocking.

The passing isn't as good or quick as the other top teams - players are taking that extra touch or not spotting runs. Hopefully, it'll just come with time rather than having to buy the next Modric.

Soldado and Adebayor aren't really playing together or moving like a partnership. If Sherwood wants to stick with two upfront, maybe one of them should be Eriksen.
    Forum Member
    That first half was curious. I did wonder if the fact of the Defoe deal distracted the players until Sherwood woke them up - he's a hugely popular personality around the club.

Given all the circs, it feels somewhat bizarre to be 6-7 points off the top.
    Forum Member
    mgns wrote: »

Soldado and Adebayor aren't really playing together or moving like a partnership. If Sherwood wants to stick with two upfront, maybe one of them should be Eriksen.
    13 out of 15 points isn't too shabby.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgns wrote: »
    ...Soldado and Adebayor aren't really playing together or moving like a partnership. If Sherwood wants to stick with two upfront, maybe one of them should be Eriksen.
    Soldado has to be dropped soon, he has been given enough time now to get to grips with the Premiership. If he can't even score the odd goal from open play then he is not much use to us as a striker.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,749
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Soldado has to be dropped soon, he has been given enough time now to get to grips with the Premiership. If he can't even score the odd goal from open play then he is not much use to us as a striker.

He needs to start by getting a shot on target. I think his all round play has improved but he looks even less like scoring now. I believe he was doubtful yesterday - perhaps he was carrying an injury?
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand how we suddenly have a better chance now, but hey...

we've got 13 points out of 15, which is obviously excellent, but I still maintain we will soon come unstuck if we persist like this. better teams than Palace would've put us to the sword in that first half.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »

we've got 13 points out of 15, which is obviously excellent, but I still maintain we will soon come unstuck if we persist like this. better teams than Palace would've put us to the sword in that first half.

You won. And you score goals now. I liked AVB but he had his faults and TS hasn't really put a foot wrong so far. Cheer up.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Pee wrote: »

I do.

But because you are Pee and I've seen you post for a long time now you won't see it. You were fully behind getting rid of Redknapp (or 'arry) and were fully in favour of AVB so it must sting like a bitch that he has been punted. You KNOW that and i know it p*sses you off. It would do the same for me. You will deny it but hey, i don't believe you.

TS is in the honeymoon period and i would have thought you would sit on your hands right now, dish out the compliments etc etc and wait for the roof to fall in. If it does you were right all along, if it doesn't then you are watching a winning team - win-win scenario.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying things right now but I've just slept through 6 months under Moyes so I'm not the best example to make judgements.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lescott being talked about as a possibility depending on whether City bring anybody in. Would be a permanent deal not a loan. Player wants regular starts pre WC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hhmm .. Lescott in as a LB maybe ?. I don't think i'd have a massive problem with that, although Danny Rose certainly deserves to be first choice at the moment, so I can't imagine Lescott would be happy to come in as a backup of any kind.

We certainly don't need any more CB's though ..
This discussion has been closed.