Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Fluid retention" :D

Chips retention more like.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel quite sorry for her because it's quite clear reading the article she's in complete denial.
    True, and I detest this kind of exploitative journalism. I can guarantee that she was led to believe that the Mirror would be running a quite different and far more sympathetic story.

It's hard to know how you would proceed with someone like her. She doesn't sound the sharpest person, but she certainly doesn't sound incapable of making a decision. My guess is that she is immature, mildly depressed, and frightened of surgery. If she won't engage with professionals who could help her, she won't. She can't be made to; nor is there any reason to take away her benefits, which are presumably low (as they all are) and appropriate for her level of disability.
    shaddler wrote: »
    I do wonder how these stories end up in the papers.
    Indeed. The real disgrace is not that a woman has lost control of her eating behaviour and become dependent on state support, but that the Mirror has lined up with all the other tabloids in scouring the country for 'people on benefits are greedy wasters' stories. Shame on them.
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    This is a prime case to demonstrate why benefits claimants should receive food vouchers rather than cash.
    She is no such thing. Even if we eliminate benefits claimed by those who are working (which are the majority), 80% of non-working benefits claimants (apart from those on DLA) are back in work within months. By refusing surgery that might remedy her disability, she has put herself into a tiny minority.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completely agree.

I think sectioning, under these circumstances, is actually a very good idea. People with mental health issues can be sectioned if the doctor thinks they need urgent hospital treatment or if they think their health would be at serious risk so I would think this situation would certainly qualify.

I think if you're in that level of denial that you feel you know better than qualified medical professionals then something is wrong. Prader-Willi syndrome can cause excessive, uncontrolled eating and also cause the person to be overly stubborn so that's certainly something that could be looked in to.

But hey ho, she's fat so throw her in jail/stop her benefits/let her eat herself to death e.t.c.....

Much as we would all like to live in a world where everyone lived the perfect healthy lifestyle and didn't support it with tax payers money, the alternative is horrifying.
    Sectioning anyone that chose to be fat or smoked at the risk of getting lung disease and so required financial support isn't a world I would wish to live in.
    There is a cost to be paid to live in a free and supportive society and that is what I pay my taxes for, no matter if some of it is used by 'scroungers'.
    Of course we can't afford to carry on as we have been, but it's usual to start at the top down when 're-structuring' .
    Society needs to be far more inclusive and sanctioning attitudes are making people not want to engage even worse.
    We need to look at why so many people choose to isolate themselves from the workforce. Not everyone has the emotional capabilities of being part of a team. Perhaps more jobs that allow a person to work from home could be an answer to many of the difficulties.
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But i thought we're all better off working?

Confusing, no?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is comedy.
    Thirty years ago such a loon would be in a mental hospital costing triple what she does now. This is the equivalent of 'care in the community', or should I say 'neglect in the community'. She's clearly one bun short of a picnic. Not that she can go out to picnic anymore
    :kitty:
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The late Sir Cyril Smith managed to earn a good living for himself, and so can she!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    For someone who has an ongoing battle with their own weight i would have thought the OP would have a little sympathy/empathy.

A little hypocritical Tinks.
  • Options
    Under_FlawUnder_Flaw Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Great, she has a boyfriend who doesn't work either. I wonder what his excuse/disability is?

Am surprised he isn't claiming some form of carers allowance.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing this story back in January, perhaps thing have changed since then. Would be good to have a follow up story instead of racking up old news.I do hope this dose not turn into a diet thread.

benefits
    19:19, 24 JANUARY 2015
    BY GEMMA ALDRIDGE
    Morbidly obese Jodie Sinclair weighs 28st and needs a mobility scooter to get around but has declined repeated offers of a free gastric band op
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She shouldn't get benefits for being fat

She's getting benefits for being disabled, which is a result of her obesity. At a glance, there does seem to be something wrong with her legs, so there possibly are medical factors other than just eating too much crappy food.
    Personally I think her case could be looked at more rigorously though. After all people are getting their JSA sanctioned for reasons like being 5 minutes late for an interview because the bus was delayed.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    She's getting benefits for being disabled, which is a result of her obesity. At a glance, there does seem to be something wrong with her legs, so there possibly are medical factors other than just eating too much crappy food.
    Personally I think her case could be looked at more rigorously though. After all people are getting their JSA sanctioned for reasons like being 5 minutes late for an interview because the bus was delayed.

You should not get DLA/PIP if your obese and work shy. I don't care if she has mobility problems due to the fat it is not a medical condition that causes disability she has.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    You think this isn't denial ?
    tbh, I'd just call that being stupid! :)

Whether or she believes it or not is another matter altogether....
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    I remember seeing this story back in January, perhaps thing have changed since then. Would be good to have a follow up story instead of racking up old news.I do hope this dose not turn into a diet thread.

benefits
    19:19, 24 JANUARY 2015
    BY GEMMA ALDRIDGE
    Morbidly obese Jodie Sinclair weighs 28st and needs a mobility scooter to get around but has declined repeated offers of a free gastric band op

People have to wonder at the mindset of these sorts of people! I mean, does she actually want to stay obese? :confused:
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat, NHS and benefits all in one story.
    Are you sure she wasn't an immigrant too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    People have to wonder at the mindset of these sorts of people! I mean, does she actually want to stay obese? :confused:

She might like the attention and not having to work. It is likely she has severe depression and has let herself go.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disgusting, lazy slob.

I have no sympathy for people like this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Fat, NHS and benefits all in one story.
    Are you sure she wasn't an immigrant too?

I don't know but I am sure the Daily Mail are trying to find out her heritage as we speak.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Disgusting, lazy slob.

I have no sympathy for people like this.

Yeah, let's just cull the fatties!! Wooooooo!!!! Let all the perfectly faultless people surive!! Wooooooooo!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, let's just cull the fatties!! Wooooooo!!!! Let all the perfectly faultless people surive!! Wooooooooo!!!
    Bit of an over-reaction, is it not? Who said anything about culling fatties?
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I don't like these "let's all point and laugh" newspaper articles. It's obvious she's not very bright, and jeering at her because she doesn't understand why she's so overweight seems cruel.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People like her are disgusting as they just fuel hatred towards those on benefits through no fault of their own, those who would LOVE a chance to change their life if they could. In terms of this woman she will also fuel hatred towards the overweight like me who already get enough abuse, ignorance and mistreatment thrown our way as it is.

What baffles me though is why these people speak to the press. Are they so thick they don't realise it will make them a hate target?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    The trouble boils down to mental capacity. While i think maybe a better benefit option would work, people would say its against human rights.

For instance, instead of reveiving benefits in the form of money, she should have her housing paid for directly to the landlord/housing associaltion, and similar for any bills. Instead of getting money each week for food, theres no reason why the government shouldnt be able to provide people like this with food packages. Im thinking along the lines of a dietician working out a healthy eating plan and the recipient only being allowed to claim those foods so that they are eating a balanced healthy diet. Maybe then they could receive a small amount of money for other essentials.

The trouble is if someone has the mental capacity to decide for themselves, theres not an awful lot you can do. I work in a hospital and each morning every patient has a wash. Occasionally we get people point blank refuse to wash. If they do we cant force them and they have to be assessed as to whether they have mental capacity. If they do and its clear they know the consequences of not washing but still refuse, then we cannot force them. This can go on for weeks/months.

This is exactly the same for morbidly obese people. They are able to refuse treatment and help and theres nothing that can be done. You cant force someone to lose weight. This is only really enforcable if someone is unable to look after themselves, eg if its a child and the parents are overfeeding, or if someone has severe learning difficulties and their carer isnt looking at their best interests.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like these "let's all point and laugh" newspaper articles. It's obvious she's not very bright, and jeering at her because she doesn't understand why she's so overweight seems cruel.
    Personally I'm sick of everyone pussyfooting around selfish, bone-idle, greedy people like this.
    Tax-payers are shelling out their hard-earned cash to enable this woman to sit there in her hovel, stuff her face and blurt out excuse after excuse as to why she doesn't want to accept help to get her life back on track.
    Enough is enough.
    Her case needs to be reviewed and she should be enrolled in some sort of compulsory exercise program, otherwise she shouldn't get paid as much as she does now.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I doubt she can get on a bus so it's a good job she's got a mobility scooter though that won't take the strain for long. Bed bound for two years and now even has people coming in to bath her. :o
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The late Sir Cyril Smith managed to earn a good living for himself, and so can she!

Who would want to emulate him?