Options

1.3 million housing association tenants, will get a discount of up to 70% to buy

2»

Comments

• Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad they are calling a halt to this in Scotland. The right to buy scheme left a massive shortage of decent, affordable housing for people on lower incomes who aren't in a position to buy and, if housing association properties started being sold off too, it would get a whole lot worse.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In order to finance this, the HA will be recompensed by the government. The government will then force a local council to sell off one of its top third properties the next time one becomes void. The money from this sale will go back to the government.

As a result 2 properties will be taken out of the social housing stock. Why anyone thinks this is good I have no idea.

You can also conceive of these 2 houses being sold in 5 years and then filled with private tenants who will claim housing benefit.A further impact on the public purse.
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    As long as you're happy.And you aren't paying huge monthly payments on your mortgage.I look at the prices of places in England and just think 'WTF!'.1 bedroom flats for £100k etc.I'd sooner buy a caravan and be 'trailer park trash'.:p
    I actually think there's huge potential for building big (permanent) caravan parks in the UK.If only to make things more affordable for most people.

I wish we would do this. Some mobile homes look quite nice too, and certainly heaps more comfortable than the majority of dingy bedsits and studios. It's just that current laws doesn't make this an easy option at the moment.

I quite like the tiny homes movement as well. Some of them look great But again, there's nowhere to put them.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any link? When is this set to take place?
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder Cameron ruled out a third term. There will be nothing left for him to run in 2020 after it has all been sold off.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how they're allowed to get away with this.
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello new housing bubble, oh wait we're already in one... are they trying to pump it up further?
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    What's the legal position on this?it seems very strange that the Government would be able to force sell these assets but I haven't heard of any possible legal challenges yet.

I'd imagine it's some form of a compulsory purchase order (CPO), which is a longstanding right the government has used to swindle people out of their property.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder Cameron ruled out a third term. There will be nothing left for him to run in 2020 after it has all been sold off.

They are going to privatise government.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There should be no right to buy, it makes a mockery of the principle of social housing and actually makes it harder for people on low incomes to find a home.
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    There should be no right to buy, it makes a mockery of the principle of social housing and actually makes it harder for people on low incomes to find a home.

Yep. So true.

The people who will benefit will be people who already own property, such as the people in government.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »
    Yep. So true.

The people who will benefit will be people who already own property, such as the people in government.

Especially, property in London. I remember reading about a Tory MP, Neil Hamilton and his wife I think, buying up council flats to rent out back in the 80s.