Options

11 UK Laws You Didn't Know You Were Breaking

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well it makes a change from the Friday sex thread ;)
1. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day
2. Not telling the taxman your dirty secrets
3. Playing knock, knock, ginger
4. Sticking a postage stamp upside down
5. Being drunk in a pub
6. Not completing two hours worth of longbow practice within a week
7. Having an impromptu sing-a-long
8. Carrying planks along the pavement
9. Handling salmon, suspiciously
10. Flagging down a taxi when you have the plague
11. Murder

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/offbeat/articles/11-weird-uk-laws-you-didnt-know-you-were-breaking#7lFGpvJzzlsJWjxT.99

So please people, stay safe and stay out of jail and make sure you get that longbow practice done this week :)

Comments

• Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to tell the taxman my dirty secrets but gave up after spending three weeks in the sodding phone queue* and realising that a wash and a toilet break would be a really really good idea.

The mince pies is a scary one though the paragraph covering it does warrant the death penalty all on its own for use of 'flaunting' instead of 'flouting' :mad:

And other mistakes :eek:

* OT, not intending to derail...
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mince pies and stamps ones are myths. So that two you can strike off the list :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17610820
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    There are a couple of issues I have with the list.

The postage stamp one is debatable. The law actually says that you cannot do anything which makes the monarch look bad, I'm not sure an upside down stamp fits the criteria.

Being drunk in a pub is not a criminal offence. The offence is supplying alcohol to someone who is drunk. That however does include buying a round for drunk friends!

The sing-a-long one only applies to obscenity so most people would be ok. It's not simply bursting into song which is targeted.

I like the salmon one! apparently it refers to the selling of salmon but the act isn't as clear as it could be on that.

I'm genuinely puzzled by the inclusion of murder on the list. I can only assume there's a joke in there that I'm missing :confused:

It is amazing though when you think about what's still on our statute books. There is a legal doctrine that if a later law contradicts an earlier one then the later law takes precedence but other than that there's nothing to prevent an old law being enforced even if it hasn't been used for centuries!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I'm genuinely puzzled by the inclusion of murder on the list. I can only assume there's a joke in there that I'm missing :confused:

Well check out the link that I got the list from. That'll help ;)
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    "Handling salmon, suspiciously" Well come on! Who hasn't done a bit of that in their lives? In fact I could tickle a trout right now!

I do have to admit that I have been neglecting my longbow practice lately.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    Well check out the link that I got the list from. That'll help ;)

I did before I posted and it didn't help at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a joke subject from a comedy site. not to be taken seriously :)
    "Handling salmon, suspiciously" Well come on! Who hasn't done a bit of that in their lives? In fact I could tickle a trout right now!

I do have to admit that I have been neglecting my longbow practice lately.

Perhaps you could incorporate the salmon in to your longbow practice. It would certainly look suspicious if you're hanging the salmon from a tree to fire your longbow at it!
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think its a joke.

the knock and run law though, unless you're in Scotland you cant be charged with a breach of the peace in England and Wales.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So where am I supposed to carry my planks???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

Ah yes, that daily problem we all face.

Personally I carry planks everyday in my office, the lazy buggers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    I suggest you contact some professional timber carriage personnel - unfortunately messrs Sykes and Cooper do not appear to be available (and I think were perhaps not experts but faces to help public acceptance of the important health and safety messages contained in their documentary) but I am sure there are others who have taken over these areas of expertise in the meantime.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of issues I have with the list.

The postage stamp one is debatable. The law actually says that you cannot do anything which makes the monarch look bad, I'm not sure an upside down stamp fits the criteria.

!

Well that is some comedians in trouble and South Park and other shows like that.

And then you get people that do things to pictures of the queen in the newspapers
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it makes a change from the Friday sex thread ;)

http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/offbeat/articles/11-weird-uk-laws-you-didnt-know-you-were-breaking#7lFGpvJzzlsJWjxT.99

So please people, stay safe and stay out of jail and make sure you get that longbow practice done this week :)

"9. Handling salmon, suspiciously" WTH? ;-)
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How about picking a pack up in the supermarket and examining it closely to find out the price? :)
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »

How about picking a pack up in the supermarket and examining it closely to find out the price? :)

I'd like to hear their definition of "suspiciously" ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Personally I carry planks everyday in my office, the lazy buggers!

ba-doom TISH! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba-doom TISH! :D

I thank you, I thank you *bows* *trombone slide down and up*
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    1. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day
    3. Playing knock, knock, ginger
    4. Sticking a postage stamp upside down
    5. Being drunk in a pub
    6. Not completing two hours worth of longbow practice within a week
    11. Murder

There are some things it is better for a taxman not to know. And what do you mean murder is wrong, since when? What am I meant to do with all these corpses?
  • Options
    AndradAndrad Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I misread that as `two hours of strongbow practice within a week` , which I would be willing to comply with. I wonder how many pints one can down in two hours ? :D
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Being drunk in a pub is not a criminal offence. The offence is supplying alcohol to someone who is drunk. That however does include buying a round for drunk friends!

Being drunk on a highway, public place or licensed premises is a criminal offence. Section 12 of the Licensing Act 1872.
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I think its a joke.

the knock and run law though, unless you're in Scotland you cant be charged with a breach of the peace in England and Wales.

A normal game of knock and run would never reasonable suggest a breach of the peace, because a normal game of knock and run doesn't include harm, damage, violent disorder, affray or riot. It is an offence however under Section 28 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 for "every person who wilfully and wantonly disturbs any inhabitant, by pulling or ringing any door bell, or knocking at any door, or who wilfully and unlawfully extinguishes the light of any lamp". That being said, I'm pretty sure that Section 28 is due to be repealed, or even has been in recent months, and it's incredibly rare that any of it's offences are ever used these days, however some are incredibly useful when dealing with anti social behaviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrad wrote: »
    ... I wonder how many pints one can down in two hours ? :D
    Once upon a time when I had not got the hang of this alcohol thing...

I would really really really really really *really* suggest not trying this!

There can only ever be one result.

:eek:
    /|\
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure 5,7,8,9,10 in that order is a Friday night :)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    There are some things it is better for a taxman not to know. And what do you mean murder is wrong, since when? What am I meant to do with all these corpses?

You can carry them along the pavement, so long as they aren't stiff as planks.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

There's a get out clause for this one:

"but it shall be a defence in proceedings for an offence under this section to show that no relevant offence had in fact been committed in relation to the salmon in question."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/62/section/32

Who drafts this crap.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this quintet:

I suppose any of these are our equivalent of the law in Wisconsin which forbids you from worrying a squirrel.