To mums - what's labour like?

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She may not be able to have an epi. I won't advise people to have or not to have one, it's up to them. I've been on both sides and as I had number 2 at home and number 3 will also be born at home, I obviously will not have one. I didn't care for it. With my first, I pushed for 40 minutes and had quite a lot of stitches afterwards. With my second, he was out in 4 pushes, which was about 10-15 minutes and I didn't need any stitches, I was just grazed. I don't get the bravery thing either-- you aren't better because you don't have pain relief, but I do think a lot of women don't trust themselves to get on with it. So many women are crap-scared of giving birth and for some reason, women are like old war buddies when they talk about labour; each one goes on about how their's was the most terrible.

Your right, she may not be able to have an epidural so I shouldn't have made out it's the only way (ofcourse it's not). I just know that if I was to ever do it again (not going to happen) it would be on the very top of my birth plan. I was definetly ''crap scared'' of giving birth, so much so I was sick and shaking uncontrolably, the epidural calmed me down as well as numbed the pain.

Thats just me though, she asked for advice and I gave her mine, theres lots of different veiws here for her to choose from.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Have a plan. I researched everything and joined StorkNet (a pregnancy and parenting forum) for advice. I always planned as natural a delivery as possible, but was open to other options.

I was sure I did not want an epidural, but didn't completely rule it out because I wasn't sure how I'd cope. My reasons: Reduced sensation makes it more difficult to "listen" to what your body tells you (and having since experienced natural birth I can confirm that your body does tell you. You feel the baby moving down, you know when it's time to push). Reduced feeling also makes pushing harder.Then add lying on your back in bed with legs in the air, which is is the most unnatural position to deliver. You're working against gravity having to push around the pubic bone and slightly upwards. All these factors increase the risk of intervention...episiotomy, forceps/ventouse/ and section.

Having read into the options I hoped for a water birth in my local hospital. I had a few complications (10 days overdue, developed a rash and had to be induced) with my first which prevented me from having my water birth. Add to that some comedy circumstances that wouldn't have been out of place in a Carry On film. :D By the time I eventually got in a delivery room I was stressed, upset and in a lot of pain. I ended up having diamorphine. That's relaxing and reduces the pain of contractions a bit but will have worn off by the pushing stage. Baby was lying awkwardly, wouldn't turn the right way, or tuck her head in which resulted in 3 hours pushing in every position imaginable before I was eventually given the episiotomy I really didn't want.

My second was completely different, I went into labour naturally, stayed at home till morning before heading to hospital for my water birth. Walked around the pool room to let gravity do it's thing until the contractions got harder and I got in the pool. This time I was in control, no panic, no stress, no drugs, no intervention. My son was born in the caul, underwater in a lovely room with dimmed lights and my relaxing CDs playing.The warm water was soothing and I was able to move into the position I found most comfortable to deal with contractions.

Recovery was amazing second time round. No tearing, cutting or stitches. Up and about, walking and sitting with ease within an hour. The first time it was a week before I could take my daughter a walk with the pram and that was uncomfortable even then. I would recommend water birth to anyone.

State of mind most definitely plays a part. Try and stay calm and when you feel the fear rising use the breathing exercises and use breaks in contractions to pull yourself back and refocus.

Look into the benefits of Raspberry Leaf extract (once you reach term), and arnica tabs (during and after labour).