Film Musicals (and Musical Challange)

CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a growing fondness for Musicals. My favourite is West Side Story. It has a few songs I love. Also Little Shop of Horrors is a delight. Especially with all the little cameos you get to look out for. I can never get enough of either.

What film musicals do you all like best?

----

Following in my re interest in Musical films...

With Les Mis in cinemas and getting some Oscar awards and having caught Hello, Dolly! last night I've got it into my head to do a musical challenge. Namely watch significant Musical films in order of year. There are far too many to watch all Musical films ever made so I'm going to have to drop the less well known and stick to those of some historical importance but I may miss a few worth watching from my list. So help appreciated.
And if anyone wants to join in my challenge... :D

(PS I'm Bypassing the Marx Bros films and Animated Disney films. Probably Elvis films too. And limiting to no more then 3 films per year)

The Jazz Singer - 1927
The Singing Fool 1928
The Great Gabbo 1929
Hearts in Dixie 1929
Puttin' on the Ritz 1930
Paramount on Parade 1930
Top Hat 1935
Swing Time 1936
Shall we Dance 1937
Some Like it Hot 1939
Yankee Doodle Dandee 1942
Meet me in St. Louis 1944
Anchors Away 1945
Song of the South 1946
Easter Parade 1948
Annie Get Your Gun 1950
Calamity Jane 1953
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 1953
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 1954
A Star is Born 1954
White Christmas 1954
Guys and Dolls 1955
Oklahoma! 1955
Anything Goes 1956
The King and I 1956
South Pacific 1958
Some Like it Hot 1959
Porgy and Bess 1959
West Side Story 1961
The Young Ones 1961
How the West Was Won 1962
Music Man 1962
Bye Bye Birdie 1963
Summer Holiday 1963
Mary Poppins 1964
My Fair Lady 1964
Robin and the Seven Hoods 1964
The Sound of Music 1965
Doctor Dolittle 1967
Thoroughly Modern Millie 1967
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 1968
Funny Girl 1968
Oliver! 1968
Hello, Dolly! 1969
Paint Your Wagon 1969
Oh! What a Lovely War 1969
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Fiddler on the Roof
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory 1971
Cabaret 1972
Lady Sings the Blues 1972
Jesus Christ Superstar 1973
Godspell 1973
The Rocky Horror Picture Show 1975
Tommy 1975
A Star is Born 1976
Bugsy Malone 1976
New York, New York 1977
Pete's Dragon 1977
Grease 1978
The Wiz 1978
All that Jazz 1979
Hair 1979
The Muppet Movie 1979
The Blues Brothers 1980
Fame 1980
Xanadu 1980
The Great Muppet Caper 1981
Annie or Grease 2 1982
Pink Floyd The Wall 1982
Victor Victoria 1982
The Pirates of Penzance 1983
Flashdance 1983
Yentl 1983
Amadeus 1984
Footloose 1984
The Muppets Take Manhatten 1984
A Chorus Line 1985
Little Shop of Horrors 1986
Labyrinth 1986
Dirty Dancing 1987
Moonwalker 1988
Cry-Baby 1990
The Muppet Christmas Carol 1992
The Nightmare Before Christmas 1993
Cannibal The Musical 1996
Evita 1996
Muppet Treasure Island 1996
Dancer in the Dark 2000
Moulin Rouge 2001
Chicago 2002
The Phantom of the Opera 2004
The Producers 2005
Rent 2005
Dreamgirls 2006
Hairspray 2007
Mamma Mia 2008
Repo, The Genetic Opera 2008
The Muppets 2011
Les Miserable 2012

Wow looks like I've set myself quite the task. If you think any film there is not worth including please let me know too.

Comments

• Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen Enchanted but as far as I'm aware, it's a pastiche of animated Disney films that takes place in the real world and is mostly a straight-up musical, so you may want to include that.

Dancer in the Dark is only barely a musical, but do watch it, it's an incredible film. You're gonna get a shock going straight into Dancer in the Dark from Muppet Treasure Island...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised you don't have Saturday Night Fever on your list. If you count Dirty Dancing (for example) as a musical, then SNF has to be included too.

I really wouldn't bother with Grease 2. It's pretty dreadful.

Other than that, that's a pretty impressive task you've set yourself. As long as you've got Fiddler on the Roof on there, (and now, for me anyways, Les Mis,) you're golden, as they are my two all time favorite musicals.
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love musicals:). I notice that Singing in the Rain isn't on your list, is that because you've seen it already? If not, it's got to go on your list.

My favourite musical is Summer Stock. It's considered to be one of Judy Garland's less good films but I love it because it's the film that made me into an instant Judy fan - she sings a song called Friendly Star and she just blew me away. Gene Kelly is in the film too (which is why I watched it in the first place).

I'd also add For Me and My Gal - also a Judy and Gene film. Actually, I think it was Gene's first film. Oh, and Holiday Inn.

Have fun. If I had the time (and enough money to buy a shed load of DVDs), I'd join you in the challenge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow :eek: A task indeed.
    You had 'Some like it hot down twice there. Obviously the 1939 was in error. :o May I suggest perhaps 'The Wizard of Oz for that year?
    For 1952 you must have 'Singing in the rain' ! :cool:
    Skip 2008. 'Mama mia' is truly horrendous. :rolleyes:
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like everyone else said, Singin' in the Rain is essential if you haven't seen it. All That Jazz is one of my absolute favourite films and I have fond memories of The Sound of Music and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but I haven't seen them since I was a kid so I wonder how i'd feel about them now.,

Love Dancer in the Dark too but I dunno if you'd need to be a Bjork fan to enjoy it, maybe.
    Forum Member
    finkly wrote: »
    Like everyone else said, Singin' in the Rain is essential if you haven't seen it. All That Jazz is one of my absolute favourite films and I have fond memories of The Sound of Music and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but I haven't seen them since I was a kid so I wonder how i'd feel about them now.,

Love Dancer in the Dark too but I dunno if you'd need to be a Bjork fan to enjoy it, maybe.

I'm not really a fan of her but it's one of my favourite films because of how exceptional her performance is. So nope, I think it's pretty accessible. :)
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pete's Dragon has NOT aged well.
    Forum Member
    I think you're going to have some trouble getting hold of a legit and complete copy of Song of the South - you're either going to have to shell out a fortune, get something from another region, or go illegal. It's mostly banned from home release for racial reasons.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I haven't seen Enchanted but as far as I'm aware, it's a pastiche of animated Disney films that takes place in the real world and is mostly a straight-up musical, so you may want to include that.

Dancer in the Dark is only barely a musical, but do watch it, it's an incredible film. You're gonna get a shock going straight into Dancer in the Dark from Muppet Treasure Island...

Ooh Missed Enchanted thanks. And Dancer in the Dark is on there as I haven't seen it anyway. And that's what the Muppet films are for. To lighten the load of my endeavour.
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    I'm surprised you don't have Saturday Night Fever on your list. If you count Dirty Dancing (for example) as a musical, then SNF has to be included too.

I really wouldn't bother with Grease 2. It's pretty dreadful.

Other than that, that's a pretty impressive task you've set yourself. As long as you've got Fiddler on the Roof on there, (and now, for me anyways, Les Mis,) you're golden, as they are my two all time favorite musicals.

Oh missed Saturday Night fever. I'll add that. As for Grease 2 was debating on it so I'll stick with Annie instead. Fiddler on the Roof has some of the most beautfiul musical songs. Hard to pick a favourite song from it.
    Lily_M wrote: »
    I love musicals:). I notice that Singing in the Rain isn't on your list, is that because you've seen it already? If not, it's got to go on your list.

My favourite musical is Summer Stock. It's considered to be one of Judy Garland's less good films but I love it because it's the film that made me into an instant Judy fan - she sings a song called Friendly Star and she just blew me away. Gene Kelly is in the film too (which is why I watched it in the first place).

I'd also add For Me and My Gal - also a Judy and Gene film. Actually, I think it was Gene's first film. Oh, and Holiday Inn.

Have fun. If I had the time (and enough money to buy a shed load of DVDs), I'd join you in the challenge.

Man I've missed a few films. This list is getting bigger. I'll probably not add Summer Stock though. Never heard of it so probably not significant enough to include on an already giant list.
    As to getting hold of the films. I'm going to upgrade my Lovefilm for where you get an unlimited rentals a month and something like 2-3 at any one time. Unless of course I can find cheap DVD's of everything listed (at least films I love and want to own on DVD anyway) or find somewhere online as a last resort.
    porshacat wrote: »
    Wow :eek: A task indeed.
    You had 'Some like it hot down twice there. Obviously the 1939 was in error. :o May I suggest perhaps 'The Wizard of Oz for that year?
    For 1952 you must have 'Singing in the rain' ! :cool:
    Skip 2008. 'Mama mia' is truly horrendous. :rolleyes:

Oops yep that's an error. And dang it Missed Wizard of Oz and Singing in the rain too.
    Yikes and I thought my list was huge already. Now I have about 6 more films to add to it.
  • Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Man I've missed a few films. This list is getting bigger. I'll probably not add Summer Stock though. Never heard of it so probably not significant enough to include on an already giant list. .

Ahh fair enough, but just for you, here are my favourite bits from Summer Stock: Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5WRmTFmaJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGk3tY4yP7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw-qlHuktJs

Ahhhh, I'd forgotten how sexy Gene is in that film.. *sigh*..
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finkly wrote: »

I quite like Bjork so it should be ok for me. I have eccentric tastes anyway.
    I've seen Sound and Chitty less then 10 years ago so I'm good with that.
    Bluray wrote: »
    Pete's Dragon has NOT aged well.

From recent clips of it you are right but it has great songs. And music is ageless.
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I think you're going to have some trouble getting hold of a legit and complete copy of Song of the South - you're either going to have to shell out a fortune, get something from another region, or go illegal. It's mostly banned from home release for racial reasons.

That's what I was guessing. Going to have to trawl the internet for that one I reckon.
    Lily_M wrote: »
    Ahh fair enough, but just for you, here are my favourite bits from Summer Stock: Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5WRmTFmaJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGk3tY4yP7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw-qlHuktJs

Ahhhh, I'd forgotten how sexy Gene is in that film.. *sigh*..

Thanks! I'll watch them.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good list. you missed High Society. (1956)

Bing and Sinatra. Get In

True Love
    Well, Did You Ever?
    Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

wonderful songs, wonderfully sung.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1933 - 42nd Street............absolutely fantastic film with great songs like the title track, Shuffle Down to Buffalo, You're getting to be a habit with me.............

here's the famous sequence for the title song.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8qktLangw

and You're getting to be habit............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5VSO8DcoS0

I love it..................:p
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pleased to see that you have my favourite 'modern' musical already in your list..............1990 Cry Baby

Often seems to be overlooked but I reckon it's a masterpiece of the teen musical genre, good girl, bad boy.................:D