How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I quite fancy the concrete ones.

The OPI collection coming out after Christmas will have some 'sand' texture ones which look a bit similar, but have colours and glitters.

Today I saw a whole load of the Barry M Superdrug limited edition glitters - but they were completely different to the one I bought a couple of weeks ago! I bought it of course, and comparing them, the labels are identical but they aren't the same at all! One is blue, green and fuschia glitter, the new one today is red white and blue. I SUSPECT that today's one is actually Jubilee, which I never managed to find in the summer. It's labelled as the Superdrug LE though, so I'm quite excited.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know if the Barry M gelly ones are any good? I got the "blueberry" one and a normal one in "silverly lilac" and then the free multi coloured litter one. I have a bit of an obsession with glitter again so couldn't resist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Barry M gelly ones are any good? I got the "blueberry" one and a normal one in "silverly lilac" and then the free multi coloured litter one. I have a bit of an obsession with glitter again so couldn't resist.

I really like the Gelly ones.
    Blueberry is on my blog here:
    http://elanorsnails.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/barry-m-gelly-polishes.html

Edit: My mistake, sorry, it's Blackberry and Blue Plum, not Blueberry. Blueberry is one of the ones I don't have!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I went to Boots today to buy the green Gelly Barry M for stamping holly on my nails, but somehow came home with six polishes, a nail art pen and a top coat.
    I blame Boots. Free Barry M if you spend £6 and free nail art set with 2 Models Own.
    I definitely don't have a nail polish problem though! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Yes, I quite fancy the concrete ones.

The OPI collection coming out after Christmas will have some 'sand' texture ones which look a bit similar, but have colours and glitters.

Today I saw a whole load of the Barry M Superdrug limited edition glitters - but they were completely different to the one I bought a couple of weeks ago! I bought it of course, and comparing them, the labels are identical but they aren't the same at all! One is blue, green and fuschia glitter, the new one today is red white and blue. I SUSPECT that today's one is actually Jubilee, which I never managed to find in the summer. It's labelled as the Superdrug LE though, so I'm quite excited.

Oh, I didn't mean Jubilee (that's the Nails Inc version), I meant Jewel Britannia.
  • statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where can we see pics of your nails elanor? would love to see what all of the fuss is about and admire your stunning talons :)
  • AnnieAppleAnnieApple Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    well i hope everyone had a great christmas day.

My Nail polish collection has grown today with the addition of the disney villains collection and a superdry polish - will be trying them out in the next few days.

the disney villains collections has some interesting colours :)

Ann
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieApple wrote: »

My Nail polish collection has grown today with the addition of the disney villains collection and a superdry polish - will be trying them out in the next few days.

Ann

Ooh, I've never heard of the Disney villains, what's that?

I got quite a bit of nail varnish stuff for Christmas! It's almost as though my family and friends realise I have a THING for nail varnish! I got posh hand cream and cuticule cream, Zoya Kissy (PINK BAR GLITTER OMG!), some large glitter/sequins, two different size wheels of multicolour diamante, more Nail Envy and Seche Vite, and a new glass nail file! I'm happy. :)
  • Little Miss KatLittle Miss Kat Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    AnnieApple wrote: »

Ann

I was very pleased to find the Disney Villains collection under my Christmas tree :)
    Ooh, I've never heard of the Disney villains, what's that?

I got quite a bit of nail varnish stuff for Christmas! It's almost as though my family and friends realise I have a THING for nail varnish! I got posh hand cream and cuticule cream, Zoya Kissy (PINK BAR GLITTER OMG!), some large glitter/sequins, two different size wheels of multicolour diamante, more Nail Envy and Seche Vite, and a new glass nail file! I'm happy. :)

I was just about to ask whether anyone else got nail goodies for Christmas! I've got enough new polishes to last me a looong time. :o

The Disney Villains collection is a boxed set of 6 polishes available from the Disney Store. It's not on the UK Disney website but it is available instore here. The Evil Queen one (blackened base with fuschia glitter) looks fantastic :D
    Forum Member
    the evil queen disney one was the first to go one my nails on boxing day morning - looks fab and hasn't chipped yet so not bad, especially as hubby managed to get the set half price for £10 on Christmas Eve :)
  • Little Miss KatLittle Miss Kat Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Wow £10 is a bargain!

Evil Queen was my first choice too! I might go for the blue/teal one next - Maleficent :)
  • Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Bought the Barry M colour change and the croc effect, disappointed with both of them.

The colour change doesn't change colour- it's just a very drab grey blue colour, and the croc effect doesn't work on every nail. :(

Meh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought the Barry M colour change and the croc effect, disappointed with both of them.

The colour change doesn't change colour- it's just a very drab grey blue colour, and the croc effect doesn't work on every nail. :(

Meh.

I don't see the point of the colour change one, as you then can't use a topcoat. If I want two tone patterns, two nail varnishes with topcoat is far more effective. Having said that, I've never heard of it just not working - what topcoat were you using?

However, I love the croc one! It does take a lot of practice though to get it to work evenly. I find that you need a very very thin coat, and it needs to be over still tacky polish. A thicker coat makes it far harder to work. I find that heat also helps a LOT - try making a hot cup of tea, then hold that while your croc is drying and it goes crazy with crackles.

(Unless you got the orange croc, that is awful!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen that China Glaze have done a colour change like the barry M ones? Probably not gonna go for them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    Have you seen that China Glaze have done a colour change like the barry M ones? Probably not gonna go for them

Yes - waste of money in my opinion. I've read a few not-impressed blog posts recently too.

Today I'm playing with rhinestones!
    http://elanorsnails.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/rhinestone-skittles.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha I was playing with rhinestones as well today! Totally didn't last through work so glad I only did the one!

http://hens-nest.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/winter-flowers.html
    Forum Member
    Wow £10 is a bargain!

Evil Queen was my first choice too! I might go for the blue/teal one next - Maleficent :)

obviously we've similar tastes as Im eyeing that one next. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meant to post earlier after I tried the Barry M gelly one (blueberry?) I liked it but wasn't too fussed on the colour. It was exactly the same as my Models own blue one. I knew I should of got one of the darker shades.
    Anyway, has anyone tried the "MUA" range from superdrug? They're only a quid and brilliant. (so are the lipsticks and I'm really fussy when it comes to lipstick)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never tried the MUA nail varnish but I love the little eyeshadow trios they do <3 based on that quality I definately have to give them a go!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Not really a nail-polish expert or blogger but hav you guys tried topshop think their nail polish are very good!
    Right one problem and didn't want to make a new thread on it so deciding to ask here..
    I have damzon dream (No7) and also coconut ice which they have stopped doing anyway when I put these 2 on after it dries along with a topcoat there seems to be like a pin prick effect going on like I have stuck lots of pins in it if you get what I mean?
    Can anyway explain why this is happening thanks again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    I've never tried the MUA nail varnish but I love the little eyeshadow trios they do <3 based on that quality I definately have to give them a go!

I like their eyeshadows too. (: In fact I've tried all the make up and loved them all. I'm really pale and their foundation is so good on my skin. You should try the nail varnishes. They do some lovely colours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire77 wrote: »
    Not really a nail-polish expert or blogger but hav you guys tried topshop think their nail polish are very good!
    Right one problem and didn't want to make a new thread on it so deciding to ask here..
    I have damzon dream (No7) and also coconut ice which they have stopped doing anyway when I put these 2 on after it dries along with a topcoat there seems to be like a pin prick effect going on like I have stuck lots of pins in it if you get what I mean?
    Can anyway explain why this is happening thanks again

Do you mean little tiny bubbles? If so, it's usually because layers are too thick, or applied too soon after a previous layer which hasn't fully dried. It especially does that with topcoat. And shaking the bottle can do it too, especially if the room is warm - roll the bottle between your hands rather than shaking it.
    Forum Member
    I don't see the point of the colour change one, as you then can't use a topcoat. If I want two tone patterns, two nail varnishes with topcoat is far more effective. Having said that, I've never heard of it just not working - what topcoat were you using?

However, I love the croc one! It does take a lot of practice though to get it to work evenly. I find that you need a very very thin coat, and it needs to be over still tacky polish. A thicker coat makes it far harder to work. I find that heat also helps a LOT - try making a hot cup of tea, then hold that while your croc is drying and it goes crazy with crackles.

(Unless you got the orange croc, that is awful!)

I didn't get as far as a topcoat. I applied one layer and couldn't see anything noteworthy, and the colour was really blah. Took it off, and it's left my fingertips black; so it obviously needs a base coat too. :( Have since binned it.

OK, I'll try again with the croc. I'm also awaiting delivery of the magnetic one; does that work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get as far as a topcoat. I applied one layer and couldn't see anything noteworthy, and the colour was really blah. Took it off, and it's left my fingertips black; so it obviously needs a base coat too. :( Have since binned it.

OK, I'll try again with the croc. I'm also awaiting delivery of the magnetic one; does that work?

Oh, well the whole point of the colour change is that it changes when you apply topcoat! Did yours not have an instructions label?
    Forum Member
    Oh, well the whole point of the colour change is that it changes when you apply topcoat! Did yours not have an instructions label?

:o:o:o:o