Options

Social Anxiety/Phobia

2»

Comments

• Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have experienced it. I went to my doctors and they referred me for help. They give me a course of CBT which really helped it helps you understand anxiety more and what you can do to control it, also how to think of situations differently. It's worth a try for you as its free there could be just a waiting list. Hope you feel better soon :)

I've found this too, mine's coming to an end soon:( Shame it can't last longer. It definitely gives you another different view on things:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/

Here's a full forum dedicated to it. :) It's really helpful and you can get to know other sufferers and share experiences and stuff. I'm on there. :D
  • Options
    India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi OP, how are you feeling today?

I'm going to join that social anxiety forum too, thanks Shadow.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it very bdly and i do know what causes being in crowded places and feeling im trapped espc shops.Ive tried to overcome it but its just getting worse.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    I've confronted it loads of times but it's just a losing game, I'm sick of fighting it and getting nowhere

And friends what are they? :(

Yep i know what you mean friends what are they?seems like i dont know them anymore since i got my problems.No support at all and their lives arent exactly stressful or busy
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    i dont know if i have it but ive gotten worse with people as ive got older. i was fine when i was a kid but i got bullied a lot and my parents dont help i feel very insecure when with people unlesss they talk to me(and even then i can only talk about things that interest me. i cant come up with anything else to talk about) then i woudlnt go up to them and say anything im too scared of people being judgemental or walking away and laughing and sometimes i over react about what people are saying and think they are talking about me (even online too) i dont have any friends i used to again have friends from school but we lost touch and i have nowhere to make any
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have it very bdly and i do know what causes being in crowded places and feeling im trapped espc shops.Ive tried to overcome it but its just getting worse.

Have a word with your GP and get on a course of CBT. I'm still like this, but not as bad. CBT does help:D
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    Steve35 wrote: »
    Have a word with your GP and get on a course of CBT. I'm still like this, but not as bad. CBT does help:D

what is it? im not sure i qualify for it
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    Ive had it now for 12 years ... i got tablets for it and lots of help from drs etc... I still get bad pantic attacks if I know Im going somewhere and know my limits where to go etc
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    India_Rain wrote: »
    Hi OP, how are you feeling today?

I'm going to join that social anxiety forum too, thanks Shadow.

I'm feeling good thanks, I've made a list today of all the things you lot have said so I can look back at it when I feel like shit. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/

Here's a full forum dedicated to it. :) It's really helpful and you can get to know other sufferers and share experiences and stuff. I'm on there. :D

I'm already a member but it makes me feel worse for some reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member

This is why sometimes it's better to avoid that forum because you get people complaining which might bring you down...

I recently heard of Wayne Dyke and he's amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yJP9cuKNqI
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure there are loads of us on here with social anxiety, so you are not alone. We're no different from other people, really. Everyone has some kind of hang-up. We all find different ways of coping with situations, just like anyone else with problems.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Perhaps your next action ought now to be to see your GP to discuss what therapies (such as cognitive behaviour therapy), medication and treatment groups are available to you in your area. Any such discussions you have will be 100% confidential.

In addition, there are some relevant self help books available but I must stress that they should be used to complement, and not replace, any therapies recommended by your GP: http://www.overcoming.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=5234
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im going out for my birthday meal and I can feel Im going to have more than a panic attack coming up to it people say dont be stupid i hate the feeling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel awful even this thread isn't helping. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's quite hard to get help from a forum. :( Is there a particular situation you are having a problem with right now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    It's quite hard to get help from a forum. :( Is there a particular situation you are having a problem with right now?

Just being like this, why am I like this? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just being like this, why am I like this? :(

A lot of us feel like that, believe me. It's all about finding coping methods, so that you can do the things you want to do. Is there something particular you would like to be doing right now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    A lot of us feel like that, believe me. It's all about finding coping methods, so that you can do the things you want to do. Is there something particular you would like to be doing right now?

No not really, I just dont feel good enough and have been comparing myself to others.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Then go see your GP at the earliest opportunity next week to get help and then, with support and treatment, things should start to get better for you. No one here can force you to make that first appointment - that desire for a better life has to come from you to start with. Until such time as you do see your GP, there are a couple of advice options below:

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/advice_lines
    http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help-you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not really, I just dont feel good enough and have been comparing myself to others.

You're you, not somebody else. When you think about the things you like in other people, isn't it the things that make them an individual, not like everybody else? Believe it or not, the things you don't like about yourself are the very things that someone else might love in a friend.

You are definitely good enough, I'm telling you. You just haven't found your time to shine yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i had letter today to say i have to see dr on wednesday for my bipolar you wouldnt believe the panic im in
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just have to face it head on, have a drink or two while your out. Im still scared of social situations but not as much as I used to be. I only go out every couple of months, but each time I get a little bit better. I find drinking does help as you don't feel out of place and you can think of something to say to people. I still have a long way to go. If you don't face your fears they will control you, I still have lots of fears and things I have not done because of them, but I am slowly getting there. Good Luck.