Options

why was there no care put into making that live show?

biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why was that live BBC show made so poorly and unimaginatively?

I don't understand.

Comments

• Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who cares? all anybody cared about in that show was who the next doctor was, everything else is just filler.
  • Options
    owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm the only one who quite enjoyed it then... :|
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    it was nice to have a show, the time flew by, but Rufus House, wtf,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Rufus Hound was a bit of a liability there, nearly let slip the new Doctor's name when he said Peter Eccleston. What was the point of him being there anyway?

Ah well, we were all only watching for one thing anyway, and we've got that now so it doesn't really matter in the great scheme of things. :)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm quite surprised they didn't reveal him by coming out of the tardis i thought that would be an obvious decision
  • Options
    davebtdavebt Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    biomorph04 wrote: »
    Why was that live BBC show made so poorly and unimaginatively?

I don't understand.

If I had to guess, I would say that the news was leaking, people were becoming sure that Capaldi had got it, and the BBC had to be seen to be controlling the issue. Therefore a quickly hashed together show later, everyone thinks they released the news. Nothing wrong with it, this is a classic way of information control. Not great for the fans, but not really the BBC's choice of timing.
  • Options
    biomorph04biomorph04 Posts: 4,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why it needed to be filled with "filler", when it would be so easy to fill the time with top stuff from a top BBC show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did all seem a bit tacky, but at least it was mostly made up of recorded interviews.
  • Options
    HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm quite surprised they didn't reveal him by coming out of the tardis i thought that would be an obvious decision

To be fair, the way it had been spinning around the ceiling poor Peter would have come out looking a bit green and probably vomited all over Zoe Ball. Oh, no great loss then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they don't have the budget to make the show properly why would we expect the budget to be used on this.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    question?
    has any other character been produced, with a show like this?

and who really cares, it wasn't gonna be a lavish affair anyway!
    pity he wasn't IN the floating TARDIS above the audience :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davebt wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I would say that the news was leaking, people were becoming sure that Capaldi had got it, and the BBC had to be seen to be controlling the issue. Therefore a quickly hashed together show later, everyone thinks they released the news. Nothing wrong with it, this is a classic way of information control. Not great for the fans, but not really the BBC's choice of timing.

Complete bull.

The show's been in the works for at least a couple weeks, under the ruse of a fake pilot.

There were a couple threads on here a few weeks ago when they started giving out tickets.

It was planned for today long before Capaldi was even the frontrunner.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show was perfectly adequate and did what it was meant to do. Why all the negativity? What did you all really expect to be in a half hour show that was about Doctor Who that revealed the next Doctor Who? A dancing troupe? A magician? A clip about dolphins?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hold on... people actually watched the first 26 minutes of it? Ha ha, more fool you.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day, this was really just a televised press conference like they always do when the new Doctor is announced!
  • Options
    King_MrhKing_Mrh Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said Wizzywick
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Live TV is always pretty crap and why the BCC felt the need for a 30 minute show, the (time) lord only knows.

Still, the last 5 minutes was ok.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did it's job so was OK with me. Any more care would have required more money. I would rather that money be spent on the actual show.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the live show. It was too much like the ubiquitous talent shows which I have a deep loathing for.
    I wanted to throw the remote control at my television when they did that horrible clichéd over extended dramatic pause. :mad:
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not understand why they felt the need to do it anyway. It takes all the fun out of the regeneration sequence.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    It was cringeworthy.

Amazed at the choice of The Doctor and cannot wait to see him, but the rest was awful guff. They should have just interviewed past Doctors and companions, and given him the proper interview he deserved.

Ball, Tarbuck, Hound, and some random curly-haired early teen? I can only guess Vanessa Feltz was too busy getting her face filled for Big Brother...
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    The show was perfectly adequate and did what it was meant to do. Why all the negativity? What did you all really expect to be in a half hour show that was about Doctor Who that revealed the next Doctor Who? A dancing troupe? A magician? A clip about dolphins?

Agree, the show was fine. They learned from last time and reduced the running time to a more sensible length. Anyone complaining about this show needs to go back and watch that one. it wasn't anything special but it was fine.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't a great show. Good to see Peter Davison and Bernard Cribbins but the other guests were completely pointless. Would rather have had some of the other actors who have been in the show being interviewed (past companions, doctors, masters etc)
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    I do not understand why they felt the need to do it anyway. It takes all the fun out of the regeneration sequence.

Hardly likely to be able to keep who it is secret that long if they need to start filming with the new actor. Any outside shooting and it would be out and even read throughs etc open up to other cast and crew letting slip, be it on purpose or not.
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't great was it.

As others have said it did it's job. it was made to be event TV and keep the show in the pubic eye. I would expect a heavily announced 50th trailer in a month or so to do the same job.

Personal highlight seeing the two Peters shaking hands at the end.