Options

The Wrong Mans, BBC2&HD 9pm, 6 eps from 24 Sep

Comments

• Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a shame this has the dreaded Corden in it. His overacting and mugging ruin a potentially intriguing programme.

Although I don't like him generally, I think his mugging and irritating nature is perfect for this.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Corden, annoying.
    Matt Baynton, very good.

Why does James Corden always 'do' the same character in everything I see him in? Surely a good actor is one who is versatile and can play a wider range?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    from Ratings Thread
    Strong start for BBC2's #TheWrongMans, averaging 3.1m, second only to BBC1's New Tricks (7.1m) at 9pm.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    He's not easy to like, is he.

I managed to stick with this: is he toning down the windmill arm acting or am I getting used to it?

The show seemed okay; twists and novely moments at appropriate junctures, cute camera angles and oddballery as per. Maybe it'll go off the rails, maybe not ...
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    James Corden can be annoying to me!
    Used to love Mat Baynton in HH !!

Together - they are great in my eyes. Nice to see Mat on a prime-time show......he is so talented and under-rated! He can sing, dance and act!
    James is good at writing too.

They make a great team together! :)
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand the talentless Essex chav. That is ok, I can normally avoid watching him.Yet he is now on the front page of BBC Iplayer with a stupid photo of him in a dangerous pose with his mouth covered in tape.

He reminds me of a lecturer who after studying a year, failed to enter his class for the exam we studied for. I cannot stand him.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot stand the talentless Essex chav. That is ok, I can normally avoid watching him.Yet he is now on the front page of BBC Iplayer with a stupid photo of him in a dangerous pose with his mouth covered in tape.

He reminds me of a lecturer who after studying a year, failed to enter his class for the exam we studied for. I cannot stand him.
    Your name is well chosen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "In half an hour, they spoofed Hitchcock, Pulp Fiction, the Coen brothers, Fight Club, The Office, E.R. and Trainspotting in one breakneck storyline. This was a feast of geek comedy, with enough laughs to give you indigestion."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2431018/The-Wrong-Mans-review-Hitchcock-Tarantino-James-Cordens-master-spoof.html#ixzz2fvoGjq9N
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I know the mail is written by simpletons but that is taking the biscuit
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'The Wrong Mans' achieves BBC Two's best comedy launch since 'Extras'.

Looks like BBC2 have got a hit on their hands! :) For anyone who missed it, it's repeated on Sunday night.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a518575/the-wrong-mans-achieves-bbc-twos-best-comedy-launch-since-extras.html
  • Options
    abbieuniqueabbieunique Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rating will go down a million from next week. Terrible.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Dude, did you not see Sarah Solemani? Too busy fantasising about Dr Watson, I suppose.:p

Well, only if Dr Watson was this foxy:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/11/03/article-1326237-0BD324DF000005DC-529_634x397.jpg

Perhaps in a british version of Elementary :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem determined to avoid the points that I'm making

Since one of the points that you (thought you) were making was that Tonys are only awarded for musicals, this seems an entirely reasonable approach.

In addition to a Tony for Best Actor, James Corden has two BAFTAs for Gavin and Stacey, which, last time I looked, wasn't a stage show.

It's OK for people not to like him, but when they rubbish his talent just because they don't like him, it's not him that looks stupid.
  • Options
    MrsLondonMrsLondon Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    This could easily have been named 'Smiffy and Deano' as it seemed a bit of a Gavin and Stacey follow-on to me.
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only ever seen James Corden in Dr Who which is just as well. I thought Matthew Boynton's character was pretty annoying until James Corden came on. It was just cringeworthy and I had to fast forward through quite a lot of it without actually losing the plot.
    The idea is good, shame about the actors. I won't watch again.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave up after 10 minutes.
    Tried again when OH caught up on i-player. Sat through the whole thing.
    Discovered I had gnawed my own leg off by the end of it.
  • Options
    solace2008solace2008 Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know why it's called 'The Wrong Mans' & not 'The Wrong Men' instead?

Funny/dark stuff so far going by episode one of six.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I read about it when it was first commissioned and that it was to do with a person's name but non of the lead characters are named 'Mans' so now wonder if I dreamt it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually just read up and it's called it to make it a comedy title.
    Regarding the apparently awkward title, Corden noted: "Our reason for calling it The Wrong Mans is to let you know it's a comedy show. If it was a drama, it'd be called The Wrong Man
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up.
    Thought it was best new British comedy series I've seen for a long time.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Just caught up.
    Thought it was best new British comedy series I've seen for a long time.

I liked it too :D
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually my understanding is that the title is a play on the 1956 Hitchcock film The Wrong Man. They wanted to keep the connection (rather than call it The Wrong Men), so just dropped in the 's' in the title sequence. Watch from 05:00 on iPlayer to see what I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    stu0rt wrote: »
    Sorry for two posts so close together, but something else that struck me about the acting:

You can see in Corden's eyes that he knows he's acting and he's enjoying the comedy of it. To my mind, that's not the way it should be done. I'm not dismissing his credentials as an actor; I know he's very good in some things, and I've enjoyed past stuff he's done. But any time you can see an actor is self-aware that they are acting, that's just not good enough. A better actor, in this role, would play it straight and still get comedic value.

I know exactly what you mean. That is such a good way of putting it! I've noticed the same thing in some other actors/actresses, particularly Jenna Louise Coleman and your description sums it up so clearly.
  • Options
    ScotlassScotlass Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was okay, although Corden does overact and became irritating.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first episode of this and enjoyed it. Fun story, likeable characters; I'll be watching next week.