Options

The Thirteenth Tale, BBC&HD 9.30pm, Mon 30 Dec

Comments

• Options
    Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    Took me a couple of read throughs of that but I understand! Antonia played the nice twin who has a baby. Sophie played the violent twin and the third girl. Got it!

No Antonia Clarke plays both of the actual twins. i.e. she played the role of Emmeline and the "Real" Evil Adeline.

Sophie Turner played the role of "Assumed Adeline/ Vida" The half sister (Vanessa Redgrave), who everyone assumed was Adeline when she returned to the scene after the fire.

As a child "Assumed Adeline/Vida" was the "ghost," the child no one save the twins, the Missus, John knew about. She also had to pass herself off as "Adeline" to the lawyer. as Real Evil Adeline was mad, bad and definitely not to seen by anyone outside of the tight group of the girls, now that the Missus and John were gone. Additionally Vida was the only sensible or sane one, so it wouldn't be safe to let either of the twins near the lawyer as they would have given the game away.

Not sure if Emmeline's baby father was in on the secret that there were 3 of them, I would have thought it would have been difficult to keep Evil Adeline out of sight from him, but if he knew he could have given the whole game away?. Then again he seemed a bit devious himself so perhaps he was content to play along?

Before the twist was revealed, when we first see the teenage "twins Emmelne and Adeline" its clear that they are played by Antonia and Sophie respectively, e.g the tennis scene.

Post Vida's reveal that in fact she was a third girl, the half sister, if you remember the scenes where Real Evil Adeline tries to smother the baby and Vida catches her or when Evil Adeline is collecting the petrol and is being followed by Vida, you can clearly see that Evil Adeline and Vida are played by Antonia and Sophie respectively.

Hence Antonia is playing both of the real twins.
  • Options
    Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    Which just makes it confusing that on here Vida has been referred to as the 'non-twin' yet is played by the same actress who played Adeline (Sophie Turner) whereas the other actual twin Emmeline was played by...Antonia Clarke. :confused:

I would have thought that the reason that the cast list on IMDb, radio times and the like have:

Sophie Turner down as Adeline/ Young Vida
    Antonia Clarke as Emmeline,

rather than saying accurately:

Sophie Turner: "Adeline"/ Young Vida
    Antonia Clarke: Adeline/ Emmeline

Is that it would give away the twists and the whole plot of the story, i.e that a) there were three March girls and b) Vida at some point and in some way assumed the identity of Adeline.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering why she left the baby to grow up with the bakers. once the nutty sister was dead the threat was over.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Wondering why she left the baby to grow up with the bakers. once the nutty sister was dead the threat was over.

Given their lack of any experience of a 'normal' upbringing maybe she thought it best to give the child to someone with half a clue?
    She also had the traumatised sister to deal with.
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well spotted Miss Marple. Did you read the book? :p

i'm reading it at the moment, only £2.99 on kindle :D
    v early on though, Margaret hasnt met the author Vida winter yet...:o
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olivia Colman's twins Margaret and Margot? weren't red heads, they had nice ribbons in their hair denoting which one was which though.

No, not them but in plenty other dramas they are red heads.
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Charles cut Isabella?
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meechyemoo wrote: »
    Why did Charles cut Isabella?

because they were both barking mad
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    cmazza wrote: »
    Ommph I am going to have to watch this again when I have had less Bailey's.

:D I watched sober as a judge and got confused as soon as the 3rd daughter turned up :o So will be watching again.

What is the likely hood of the 3rd daughter having a different mum and having ginger hair tho ^_^

Also. was the house the same one used in the Pemberley drama?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    :D I watched sober as a judge and got confused as soon as the 3rd daughter turned up :o So will be watching again.

What is the likely hood of the 3rd daughter having a different mum and having ginger hair tho ^_^

Also. was the house the same one used in the Pemberley drama?

ginger hair just needs two people with the ginger gene you dont have to be ginger haired to have a ginger child but both parents needs the recessive ginger gene its rife in my family and I have to say if people said about other ethnic groups what they say about gingers they'd be drummed out of town,but bullying people because they are ginger seems to be not only allowed but positively hilarious.

They used three houses in the programme one is a jacobean Hall at Driffield and the other two I think are up round me , the distance shots of the house she lived in in later years looked suspiciously like the YMC hostel up on the moors by Reeth.None of them was Chatsworth which is the house in Pemberley I think
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So were supposed to believe that "The Author" stayed unnoticed in the house for 16 years or more? When the governess left, how did they get any education?
    & Why was the key hot when their were no flames near to the door?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ginger hair just needs two people with the ginger gene you dont have to be ginger haired to have a ginger child but both parents needs the recessive ginger gene its rife in my family and I have to say if people said about other ethnic groups what they say about gingers they'd be drummed out of town,but bullying people because they are ginger seems to be not only allowed but positively hilarious.

They used three houses in the programme one is a jacobean Hall at Driffield and the other two I think are up round me , the distance shots of the house she lived in in later years looked suspiciously like the YMC hostel up on the moors by Reeth.None of them was Chatsworth which is the house in Pemberley I think

Thanks for the info. When I was young I had a massive ginger haired boy who made mine and others lives hell :( He was the typical ginger bully boy >:( Until I meant a nice ginger haired person I realised they were not all like him :)

What was the old woman with the white hair digging for? Was that explained?

I will watch it all again as it's bugging me that I was so confused near the end and I was really concentrating :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TRIPS wrote: »

So that baby was the 'weird' guy that lived at Angelfield House ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member

The Hall in Driffield is Burton Agnes Hall - Elizabethan not Jacobean - which was Vida's drawing room interior.

The main house 'Angelfield' is Duncombe Park - which is beautiful. I am amazed by how decrepit they made it look for the 21st Century scenes.

I do not know where the exterior of Vida's house is. The aforementioned Reeth YMC (Grinton Lodge - very nice BTW) is similar but I am not convinced that this was what they used.

Still looking for that location!
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It unleashed great tidings of comfort-watching and spooky joy." - Guardian review

It looked great and the two leads were excellent. Don't understand why the Telegraph thought it was dumbed down; the plot unfolded at just the right pace to keep us gripped and the twist was well-disguised. Very enjoyable.
  • Options
    VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was superb, i watched it because of Olivia Coleman ive never seen her in anything bad yet, a very good story well interwoven with Olivias character who had her own demons after the accident with her own twin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SoundWall wrote: »
    The Hall in Driffield is Burton Agnes Hall - Elizabethan not Jacobean - which was Vida's drawing room interior.

The main house 'Angelfield' is Duncombe Park - which is beautiful. I am amazed by how decrepit they made it look for the 21st Century scenes.

I do not know where the exterior of Vida's house is. The aforementioned Reeth YMC (Grinton Lodge - very nice BTW) is similar but I am not convinced that this was what they used.

Still looking for that location!

theres one angle that you see Grinton lodge where it looks just like the distance shots but there are so many houses that look like that round the dales it could be anywhere
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    So the bones found at the end - were they of Adeline's and were they found at the scene of the fire, and it was Emeline digging at the ground saying, "Dead should be underground"? Or did they bury Adeline's body ... I thought it was a great drama.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. When I was young I had a massive ginger haired boy who made mine and others lives hell :( He was the typical ginger bully boy >:( Until I meant a nice ginger haired person I realised they were not all like him :)

Gawd knows what reaction you're expecting to that patronising bit of guff, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gawd knows what reaction you're expecting to that patronising bit of guff, really.

I was mostly thinking substitute black for ginger read it back and see how you feel about what you have written then
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    meechyemoo wrote: »
    I do wonder why whenever there are twins on TV, they have to be beautiful redheads
    I liked the older one played by Game of Thrones - Sophie Turner.;-)

Enjoyed this - but a bit silly by the end, when a third kid appeared.

Did have a feel of The Others the NicoleKidman film....but no where near as scary.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I was replying to a comment in a post!
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that baby was the 'weird' guy that lived at Angelfield House ?
    Yes I think your right, he mentioned he lived with his mum but wasn't sure if there was another clue i had missed.
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was replying to a comment in a post!

When I was younger I knew this woman - God, she was stupid. Bloody woman. Typical stupid woman, just like all the rest.

Then I met a nice woman and realised they weren't all the same after all! Who knew?!