12th Doctor Books - September 11th 2014

Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
Forum Member
Three of them are being released ....

"Silhouette"

By Justin Richards.

“Vastra and Strax and Jenny? Oh no, we don’t need to bother them. Trust me.”

Marlowe Hapworth is found dead in his locked study, killed by an unknown assailant. This is a case for the Great Detective, Madame Vastra.

Rick Bellamy, bare-knuckle boxer, has the life drawn out of him by a figure dressed as an undertaker. This angers Strax the Sontaran.

The Carnival of Curiosities, a collection of bizarre and fascinating sideshows and performers. This is where Jenny Flint looks for answers.

How are these things connected? And what does Orestes Milton, rich industrialist, have to do with it all? As the Doctor and Clara joint the hunt for the truth they find themselves thrust into a world where nothing and no one are what they seem.

"The Blood Cell"

By James Goss.

“Release the Doctor – or the killing will start.”

An asteroid in the furthest reaches of space – the most secure prison for the most dangerous of criminals. The Governor is responsible for the cruellest murderers. So he’s not impressed by the arrival of the man they’re calling the most dangerous criminal in the quadrant. Or, as he prefers to be known, the Doctor.

But when the new prisoner immediately sets about trying to escape, and keeps trying, the Governor sets out to find out why.

Who is the Doctor and what’s he really doing here? And who is the young woman who comes every day to visit him, only to be turned away by the guards?

When the killing finally starts, the Governor begins to get his answers…

"The Crawling Terror"

By Mike Tucker.

“Well, I doubt you’ll ever see a bigger insect.”

Gabby Nichols is putting her son to bed when she hears her daughter cry out. ‘Mummy there’s a daddy longlegs in my room!’ Then the screaming starts… Kevin Alperton is on his way to school when he is attacked by a mosquito. A big one. Then things get dangerous.

But it isn’t the dead man cocooned inside a huge mass of web that worries the Doctor. It isn’t the swarming, mutated insects that make him nervous.

With the village cut off from the outside world, and the insects becoming more and more dangerous, the Doctor knows that unless he can decode the strange symbols engraved on an ancient stone circle, and unravel a mystery dating back to the Second World War, no one is safe.

I think I'll end up getting Silhouette to be honest but they all sound intriguing.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/first-12th-doctor-novels-detailed-63628.htm

Comments

• doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    Interesting, thanks for the heads up. from the blurb 'silohuette' sounds like maybe like it's more vastra/jenny/strax central than doctor and Clara central like in the crimson horror, but who knows?. Still sounds like a good premise. 'Blood cell' sounds like the best one to me though.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit early isn't it? we've no idea of the character of the new Doctor
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question to ask hear is
    Do the writers of these stories already know what 12 is going to be like personality wise and do they know his catchphrase? (if he has one)
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »

Presumably at that point we'd have had about 3 - 4 episodes so we'd at least have some impression of him by then.
    Forum Member
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    Do the writers of these stories already know what 12 is going to be like personality wise and do they know his catchphrase? (if he has one)

They'd have to be told of his character to be able to write the books in the first place. My understanding was that in the past, the writers of these books have been given access to the scripts to inform their work, so would assume the same would be the case in this instance.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    donovan5 wrote: »
    No it isn't. The first books for the Ninth and Eleventh Doctors came out within two months of their debuts - in other words, while their first series was airing. Ten's actually came out before his first series, but he had already debuted at Christmas so the wait was in fact longer.
    Nine: TV debut Rose aired 26 March 2005, first book The Clockwise Man out 19 May 2005.
    Ten: TV debut The Christmas Invasion aired 25 December 2005, first book The Stone Rose out 13 April 2006, which is two days before New Earth aired, the first episode of series 2.
    Eleven: TV debut The Eleventh Hour aired 3 April 2010, first book Apollo 23 out 22 April 2010.
    Forum Member
    amazon are listing a '12 doctors, 12 stories' book for release on 2nd October so I assume this is an updated version of the book of short stories written for the 50th year with a new story added about 12.
    Forum Member
    Assume? It says so in the description:

Twelve bestselling authors, twelve Doctors, twelve brilliant adventures in time and space for all Doctor Who fans! This print anthology features the original eleven eShorts plus a brand-new Twelfth Doctor story by a top-secret author.
    Forum Member
    JAS84 wrote: »
    Assume? It says so in the description:

Twelve bestselling authors, twelve Doctors, twelve brilliant adventures in time and space for all Doctor Who fans! This print anthology features the original eleven eShorts plus a brand-new Twelfth Doctor story by a top-secret author.

Glad now that I hadn't got around to buying the 11 stories version, but I bet there will be anger from those who already have done to have to re-buy if they want the full content
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I hope there's a second batch of books that will feature Danny as well. I assume there will be as the second batch of Series 5 books featured Rory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Thank heavens Justin Richards is writing again. It must be at least five minutes since he last had a book published. I was beginning to worry that he might have forgotten to commission himself again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"Spackity bye" would be a decent enough guess.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not September 12th? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Those covers are so good, Capaldi's face in The Crawling Terror looks soooo sinister. Reading a story with 12th Doctor in that narrative is exciting, particularly after what I saw in the Deep Breath recut.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'm buying Silhouette out of three but they all look good though.
    Forum Member
    Nice to see that they have unique logos, like the recent episodes did on the film poster style ads.
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Peter Capaldi's Catchprase