Options

Amount of data for 10 minute 1080p video clip

TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure where to post this but as I'll be looking to do this on my iPhone....

Can anyone tell me how much storage space would be needed to record a 10 minute video in 1080p please?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say around 1.08 GB having done a quick search online.
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Box wrote: »
    I'd say around 1.08 GB having done a quick search online.

So EE's, 02's, Vodaphone's "Shed loads of data" "Huge data allowance" etc etc ................. is good for about10 minutes a month.
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    So EE's, 02's, Vodaphone's "Shed loads of data" "Huge data allowance" etc etc ................. is good for about10 minutes a month.
    Recording a 10 minute video on local storage hasn't really got anything to do with mobile data though.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Playing compressed video streams isn't as bad, typically a gig an hour or something (very roughly).

The problem is you can't calculate it without knowing the bitrate, codec used etc the 1080p only refers to the resolution, not to the quality of the image and amount of compression used.

When you record from a video source like a camera is won't be in the same kind of format or compression as playing an internet video.
  • Options
    Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suggest you read the OP's question again.

Oh, and it's "Vodafone".
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    What Thine said.
    Around 1GB per hour for H264 but it varies a lot as he says.
    Also the type of video affects it due to the way compression works.
    So a lot of action, panning, zooming, fast scene changes will require way more storage than say, someone presenting to camera with a static background.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    What Thine said.
    Around 1GB per hour for H264 but it varies a lot as he says.
    Also the type of video affects it due to the way compression works.
    So a lot of action, panning, zooming, fast scene changes will require way more storage than say, someone presenting to camera with a static background.

Decent quality 1080p needs considerably more than 1 GB per hour.

I have a 33 minute 1080p recording made with an iPhone that's 5.94 GB, and that's with mono audio (recorded on a 4S I think).
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roush wrote: »

I have a 33 minute 1080p recording made with an iPhone that's 5.94 GB, and that's with mono audio (recorded on a 4S I think).

That's why I said playing compressed video streams would be roughly a gig an hour in reply to nafanny29 in response to saying you would be using up your allowance in 10 minutes.Using up your allowance in 10 mins wouldn't be the case for netflix, iPlayer, Youtube as they are much more highly compressed.

As you correctly say, in the case of recording video it very much depends on the codec and format and it could create massive files.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »

Yeah sorry. Got my wucking murds fuddled. Long day!.
    Forgetting HD. Doh!!
    1 hour of HD is normally around 4-5GB.
    5GB for 30 minutes sounds a bit excessive though. No idea what's going on there.
    It's stated in several places that 1 hour of iPhone 4 video should take up about 5GB...ish..
    Were you on a spinning platform amongst a crowd of partying people with fireworks going off or something??? Hahahaha
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPhone 4 records at 720p though. The 4S was the first to record at 1080p, hence the larger file size.

As alluded to by Thine Wonk the H.264 compression engine in smartphones will be optimised for speed over higher CPU-workload compression, at the expense of file size. It's a whole different ball game when you can afford the time and resources to do offline multi-pass encoding.