Options

Anti-English sentiment in Scotland

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is not really new news is it? If you are over there and not interacting with your colleagues or friends, it is better to keep your mouth shut and no one will be the wiser. You have to imagine Blacks and Asians have it much worse, they can't really hide can they ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am Scottish living in Scotland my next door neighbour is English you could not meet a nicer man his wife is Scottish they are a lovely couple!
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    I am Scottish living in Scotland my next door neighbour is English you could not meet a nicer man his wife is Scottish they are a lovely couple!

Indeed - it's not a 'them and us' thing, no rational person cares whether one was born in Scotland or England. I think it's very low of people to try and bring politics and the independence debate into this, as I support Scottish independence based on the mess that is Westminster politics and the desire for representatives in Holyrood to govern Scotland. It's not about the SNP (I see them as a means to an end), nor is it about Salmond or anti-Englishness (I love England, English history and the English language - I just don't love being shackled to the clowns in Westminster and faced with eternal Tory or Labour governments). We've diverged from Westminster politics, not from English people.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on holiday in Scotland during the latter stages of the 1990 World Cup and the locals were overjoyed when England lost in the semi final. I can also remember hearing loud and abusive anti-English chanting that night.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I was on holiday in Scotland during the latter stages of the 1990 World Cup and the locals were overjoyed when England lost in the semi final. I can also remember hearing loud and abusive anti-English chanting that night.

Was that your only interaction with Scottish people during the entire holiday? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hey, if you're going to judge a nation by its worst football fans, you might want to be careful as your own nation's might be even worse. ;)
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    I found out recently that my ancient ancestors are Scottish (I'm English) so before you start slagging off anybody from anywhere - have a good look at your family tree! People moved around you know even way back when - over borders on foot if necessary.

So now I just think we're all part of the same island and we should all learn to get along and I feel no animosity to anyone born or bred here.

Now people migrating here just to take advantage of our Benefits System, NHS and Housing System - then I get more than a bit annoyed.

Our country is British and I resent being called European. I'm British and always will be.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Tbf, it is partially true. Though anti Catholic may be a more accurate label for a certain section of la publique de l'Ecosse.

stop the anti catholic nonsense, sectariansm occurs on both sides and to call it anti catholic or anti irish just shows your bias. sectarianism in scotland is a tiny problem, racism is a far bigger issue, the stats back it up. In 2011 there were 693 charges for sectarianism and 6452 charges for racism. Of the 693 charges only 587 actually went to court: And of those 587 cases only 390 have resulted in convictions. 72.5% of the charges were only for Breach of the Peace. Only 39 assault charges were recorded – there is no data in the report on how many of them actually lead to convictions. The severity is also not mentioned so we are left to guess. Of all the convictions, only 70 resulted in custodial sentences. The perception of sectarianism is much stronger than its occurrence in reality
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I went on holiday to Scotland and when I walked into a bar they all started speaking Scottish whereas previously they'd been speaking English.

Oh no hold on, that was Wales.

Oh hold on, I'm Welsh... was that an English pub all speaking Welsh... or Scottish?

Oh I don't know.

Sounds like you had a lot to drink there :D
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a fair bit of anti-English sentiment in Scotland. Calling England the auld enemy in newspapers. They think its hilarious to say "I support anyone but England"... bad sportsmen and xenophobic generally.
    They really need to sort out the racism in their general society, in England it's at a far less acceptable level.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    stop the anti catholic nonsense, sectariansm occurs on both sides and to call it anti catholic or anti irish just shows your bias. sectarianism in scotland is a tiny problem, racism is a far bigger issue, the stats back it up. In 2011 there were 693 charges for sectarianism and 6452 charges for racism. Of the 693 charges only 587 actually went to court: And of those 587 cases only 390 have resulted in convictions. 72.5% of the charges were only for Breach of the Peace. Only 39 assault charges were recorded – there is no data in the report on how many of them actually lead to convictions. The severity is also not mentioned so we are left to guess. Of all the convictions, only 70 resulted in custodial sentences. The perception of sectarianism is much stronger than its occurrence in reality

Kiss my arse. I didn't say anti-Catholicism was the only manifestation of sectarianism did I? It is one aspect - there is a mirror in the other direction. I was responding to a post suggesting a hatred of the Irish - hence my focus on that particular phobia. I don't need to address racism.

I have neither the inclination nor the need to cover entire subjects in a post. If you think that reveals a bias in me, you are thick as tits. You know nothing about me or any bias I may or may not have. To make that assumption is woeful.

I grew up in Scotland, sunshine, and I'm fully aware of the religious divides that have affected that country.

Back under your stone. Come back to when you can construct a post that isn't an embarrassment to oxygen breathers.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found out recently that my ancient ancestors are Scottish (I'm English) so before you start slagging off anybody from anywhere - have a good look at your family tree! People moved around you know even way back when - over borders on foot if necessary.

Indeed - I have ancestors from all over the UK (and beyond) on both my mothers and fathers side.

Another factor to take account of - family trees aren't always accurate. They may be the "accepted" version of events - but I bet many of us have ancestors born illegitimately, or due to illicit encounters that weren't talked about. I bet if we could get a 100% accurate family tree - there would be a fair few travelling salesmen in there ;)

The likelihood is - very few people living in the UK have a pure bloodline going back to the original inhabitants of whichever land they now reside.
  • Options
    Ramit BaudeepRamit Baudeep Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Have nothing against the English at all. Like to have a bit of banter with them especially when it comes to sporting events :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which probably explains why many English people living outside the little bubble of the Home Counties despise London and Westminster as much as the Scottish.

You mean parliament rather than London and the borough of Westminster itself.

And many people 'despise'? rather dramatic but how come they do - do they not have representatives in parliament?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have nothing against the English at all. Like to have a bit of banter with them especially when it comes to sporting events :D

I think that's mainly what it is but hey this is the internet and people get 'outraged' :D
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    No, but was made to feel uncomfortable on holiday in North Wales.

So was my poor elderly Mother and her partner on a recent trip to North Wales. The locals were just horrible.
    The old clichés, locals in shops, pubs and resturants going quiet, everyone suddenly deciding to speak Welsh when they were within earshot .My Mother, incidentally is well travelled and has never had any problems anywhere else. They say that it is their first and last trip to Wales.

I have always got on well with the locals whilst in Scotland. My Mum loves the place
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people confuse sporting rivalry with xenophobia. The ABE thing is entirely sport related banter, I've never known anybody who harbours a genuine dislike of the English. We have lots of English families around here who have settled with no problems. I am concerned about a growing anti Scottish sentiment from south of the border though. If comments on DS over the last few years are any indication, Scotland has gone from being largely ignored to being resented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picklebum wrote: »
    So was my poor elderly Mother and her partner on a recent trip to North Wales. The locals were just horrible.
    The old clichés, locals in shops, pubs and resturants going quiet, everyone suddenly deciding to speak Welsh when they were within earshot .My Mother, incidentally is well travelled and has never had any problems anywhere else. They say that it is their first and last trip to Wales.

I have always got on well with the locals whilst in Scotland. My Mum loves the place

I thought only 20% of them can speak Welsh.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only real instance of this that I can think of was when a boy was put in our class in secondary school who had just moved to our town from Leeds and alot of people mocked his heavy yorkshire/Leeds accent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    I was drunk in Edinburgh once trying to get a pizza about 1am from a backstreet takeaway. The owner behind the counter suggested I get away immediatley as the shop was full of locals and they would kick my head in :eek:

Seemed a bit harsh . The Scots say they hate us , but you dont hear them moaning when the cash rolls in from Westminster :rolleyes:

Sure he wasn't just trying to get rid of the drunk who was trying to get a pizza LOL!
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought only 20% of them can speak Welsh.

How the bleedin' hell should I know?

Never been. Wouldn't want to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people confuse sporting rivalry with xenophobia. The ABE thing is entirely sport related banter, I've never known anybody who harbours a genuine dislike of the English. We have lots of English families around here who have settled with no problems. I am concerned about a growing anti Scottish sentiment from south of the border though. If comments on DS over the last few years are any indication, Scotland has gone from being largely ignored to being resented.

It's sporting rivalry when you actually play a country, when you just hate a country so much you want them to lose vs anyone it's more than that. I can tell the difference, Scottish are taught that England is the enemy from birth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    It's sporting rivalry when you actually play a country, when you just hate a country so much you want them to lose vs anyone it's more than that. I can tell the difference, Scottish are taught that England is the enemy from birth.

It's like the Palestinians. You would feel like that too if you were part of a conquered people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like the Palestinians. You would feel like that too if you were part of a conquered people.

No I'm a good loser :p
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks there isn't anti-Scottish sentiment in England need only read the comment sections of any story relating to Scotland in the Daily Mail, or indeed on BBC News sites.