Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, the source I saw (can't remember where it was now) suggested (or maybe I interpreted it as) Perez had already been replaced by Magnussen, but I see from an interview today that Whitmarsh says they've not decided yet.

So apologies for reporting previously that Perez had been replaced.

No need to apologise, half the posts in this thread are total rubbish :D Keep it up and you will fit in well here.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Was talking to somebody about this today.

In that situation I can certainly see Alonso being a team player but if the situation is reversed I can see Kimi's back starting to play up again.

Mystic Si predicts that this time next year Kimi will be out of the running for the WDC, pulls another sickie, Ferrari loses the WDC and Montezuma has a meltdown.

He hasn't demonstrated anything in the past that would suggest that he would just rollover and let someone else take the top slot. Look what happened at McLaren and the consequences of getting on the wrong side of him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a chickenshit way of carrying out his threats.

If he had any honour or integrity he'd simply say "You haven't paid me so go f**k yourselves" rather than blaming it on his bad back.

I think lecturing Kimi on honour and integrity, when it comes to Lotus, is a bit ironic, don't you think? If there was any honour to be delivered, it should from Lotus.

I am sure that you don't want drivers to suffer permanent injury, whilst they have the opportunity to have treatment, would you?
    Conversely, if he wants the money, STFU and drive the car.

Erm...that's what he has been doing all year and they still haven't paid him what they agreed....where's their "honour and integrity" now?
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    No need to apologise, half the posts in this thread are total rubbish :D Keep it up and you will fit in well here.

BBC Sport are still saying Perez has been replaced...
    Sergio Perez says McLaren need to be better organised and more humble if they are to return to the top. The Mexican's comments follow McLaren's decision to replace him with Danish novice Kevin Magnussen for next season.

However, they then say...
    The team have not yet officially announced their decision to promote Magnussen and Perez did not say whether he had been informed
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    He hasn't demonstrated anything in the past that would suggest that he would just rollover and let someone else take the top slot. Look what happened at McLaren and the consequences of getting on the wrong side of him.

I dunno. I think he's matured a bit since then and the fact that he's continued to drive the various donkeys Ferrari has produced over the last couple of years, without much in the way of complaint, and the way he tends to go on about "doing it for the team" etc suggests he might.
    I think lecturing Kimi on honour and integrity, when it comes to Lotus, is a bit ironic, don't you think? If there was any honour to be delivered, it should from Lotus.

I am sure that you don't want drivers to suffer permanent injury, whilst they have the opportunity to have treatment, would you?

Erm...that's what he has been doing all year and they still haven't paid him what they agreed....where's their "honour and integrity" now?

If Lotus have been underhanded then that's still no reason for Kimi to lower himself to the same standard.

If his back was so poorly, how come he didn't decide to go and get it fixed while he still had a shot at winning the WDC?

Personally, if it was me, I'd have him in the Lotus factory, working on the simulator, sweeping the floors or doing absolutely anything he's contractually obliged to do, until 31st December if he wanted paying.
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    BBC Sport are still saying Perez has been replaced...

I dont tend to read the BBC F1 pages. Google ESPN F1 and/or Planet F1. I tend to read them the most. Although on the planet F1 site, they do run a story titled 'Perez hits out at Mclaren'...so he may well have gone, but no official announcement yet.
    I dunno. I think he's matured a bit since then and the fact that he's continued to drive the various donkeys Ferrari has produced over the last couple of years, without much in the way of complaint, and the way he tends to go on about "doing it for the team" etc suggests he might.

To be honest, he hasnt had a better car to drive. The only team you would leave Ferrari to go to is RBR. They havent had a seat available for quite a while. I would bet he was one of the high profile drivers horner mentioned that asked for the seat for next year.
    If Lotus have been underhanded then that's still no reason for Kimi to lower himself to the same standard.

No it doesnt, but it does give him a very good excuse.
    If his back was so poorly, how come he didn't decide to go and get it fixed while he still had a shot at winning the WDC?

I think his back problems started in Japan or Korea. By then the title was all but Vettels.
    Personally, if it was me, I'd have him in the Lotus factory, working on the simulator, sweeping the floors or doing absolutely anything he's contractually obliged to do, until 31st December if he wanted paying.

Bloody hell, was has Kimi done to you? Has he slept with your misses or something? :D;)

What will probably happen is that Kimi will ask for money up until Abu Dhabi. The remainder of the seasons pay will probably be claimed on insurance. He will probably get paid by the insurance company before he gets his Lotus pay. :D
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    I dont tend to read the BBC F1 pages. Google ESPN F1 and/or Planet F1. I tend to read them the most. Although on the planet F1 site, they do run a story titled 'Perez hits out at Mclaren'...so he may well have gone, but no official announcement yet.

Well it's now confirmed on the F1 site, so Perez out, Magnussen in at McLaren.

Just the rest of the musical chairs to sort out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah...."doing it for the team," means Massa moving over. Alonso has never done anything so altruistic as sacrficing his position in favour of the "team."

Alonso is not a team player.

That's a bit rich...Lotus are contracturally obliged to pay him, I don't see that forthcoming. Lotus have breeched the contract they have with Kimi Raikkonen, before they start insisting that he "sweep floors," they need to uphold their part of the contract and pay him first.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perez just posted this on Twitter, so look's like he's definitely leaving Mclaren.

https://twitter.com/SChecoPerez/status/400684216154746880/photo/1
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Alonso has never done anything so altruistic as sacrficing his position in favour of the "team."
    Has he ever been in that position?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Lotus must be desperate if they sign Kovalainen who swears he he would never be a pay driver,
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell, was has Kimi done to you? Has he slept with your misses or something? :D;)

Yeah, must admit, I probably should have put a ":p" smiley at the end of that post cos I wasn't entirely serious.

Does kinda bug me though.
    I tend to see quite a lot of gobby arseholes who do similar stuff, whereby they mouth off that they're going to refuse to do stuff, stand up for their rights, stick it to the man etc and, when it comes to it, they simply throw a sickie (usually claiming to have a bad back) as a means of weaseling their way out of whatever it is.

Definitely not right that Kimi hasn't been paid all year (much like Hulk' apparently) but the way he's dealt with it doesn't paint him in a good light either.

Regarding Perez, I wonder how convoluted it all is?
    I mean, there were the rumours about Tel-Mex sponsoring McLaren after Vodafone's contract ends, rumours about a Mexican race and the stuff about Perez's seat.

I wonder if the Tel-Mex McLaren deal fell through cos the Mexican race hasn't been sorted out and that, in turn, has meant Perez didn't get any Tel-Mex money?

Course, it probably wouldn't hurt if I went and read what Perez has said before asking these questions... :o

*EDIT*

Also, WTF??? :eek:
  • Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, must admit, I probably should have put a ":p" smiley at the end of that post cos I wasn't entirely serious.

Does kinda bug me though.
    I tend to see quite a lot of gobby arseholes who do similar stuff, whereby they mouth off that they're going to refuse to do stuff, stand up for their rights, stick it to the man etc and, when it comes to it, they simply throw a sickie (usually claiming to have a bad back) as a means of weaseling their way out of whatever it is.

Definitely not right that Kimi hasn't been paid all year (much like Hulk' apparently) but the way he's dealt with it doesn't paint him in a good light either.

Regarding Perez, I wonder how convoluted it all is?
    I mean, there were the rumours about Tel-Mex sponsoring McLaren after Vodafone's contract ends, rumours about a Mexican race and the stuff about Perez's seat.

I wonder if the Tel-Mex McLaren deal fell through cos the Mexican race hasn't been sorted out and that, in turn, has meant Perez didn't get any Tel-Mex money?

Course, it probably wouldn't hurt if I went and read what Perez has said before asking these questions... :o

*EDIT*

Also, WTF??? :eek:

It's quite a stretch to call Kimi "gobby" :p

But looking at his history of back injuries, it's hardly surprising he wants it treated asap (and without risking it further in the next two races).
    He first injured it in 2001(his rookie year), he had it operated on in 2006 and again in 2010. The flare up this year in Singapore was allegedly caused by an incorrectly secured seat and then he had another prang (albeit fairly small) in Abu Dhabi. The op. will mean 4 weeks recovery, so the longer he waits the more likely he is to be behind in prep. for next year.
    If I were him I'd get my back fixed asap too.

More interesting than Schumi and Lotus is the other drive he was offered earlier in the season. I'd love to know which team and the driver they wanted to replace!
    Forum Member
    Just reading THIS.

As many will know, I'm not Alonso's biggest fan but, to be fair, I recall seeing the incident that Horner mentioned and, IIRC, the crowd were already booing when Alonso took his cap off and threw it into the crowd and it seemed, to me, as if he did it as a means to turn the booing into cheering.

Similar thing at other races where Vettel gets booed during the podium interview, Alonso will wave and the booing turns into cheering, Alonso stops waving and the boos return and so Alonso ends up waving again as a means to keep the crowd cheering.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here but it seems, to me, like Alonso was just doing what he could to stop the booing, rather than encouraging it. :o
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Schuey worried about not getting paid? :D
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea why Horner felt the need to comment about the booing. Other teams encouraged it? How? The guy should be content with having won both championships again and move on.

I have to say I side with Si_Crewe regarding Kimi. It may be that he has been in so much discomfort that actually racing the last 2 GPs would have been impossible anyway, but that isn't the way it's been reported. By deciding to undergo non-essential surgery before the end of the season he's turning his back (no pun intended) on his current team. By that I mean the mechanics and engineers who have worked hard with and for him to give him a car that's made him successful enough to win a seat at Ferrari. Walking away form them now is IMO poor. They are the ones who are going to pay the penalty in terms of the CC. I hope HK steps into the car and gets a great result. My opinion of Kimi has been tarnished.
  • dee_effdee_eff Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    No idea why Horner felt the need to comment about the booing.

I often react the same when I read that Mosley or Briattore have pontificated, it's not as if he (Horner) would call a press conference to say that but simply that someone, whether reporter or interviewer, asked and he replied. We shouldn't always take what we read as a spontaneous and original thought transmitted to the world.

(Oops - that was encroaching on "rant" territory.) :o
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perez definitely not happy about being dropped by McLaren. If he can't get a seat for next season then he may walk away from F1
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24952698
    Forum Member
    Perez definitely not happy about being dropped by McLaren. If he can't get a seat for next season then he may walk away from F1
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24952698

I think its a mistake to drop Perez for some rookie. Mclaren are having a bad season, you dont make matters worse for next season by dropping a driver with experience for a rookie. If you were going to drop Perez, then you would bring someone in with experience, like Massa. He could have helped develop the car.

I dont get Mclarens decision here. When they signed him, they said he was a diamond in the rough. It would take time to mould him and bring out the best in him. So why get rid of him after a year? I think he has had a decent year. On occasions out qualified Button and also beat him in a couple of races. What else are they looking for?
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly my thoughts. I can only think that they still believe Button to be the number one driver and don't want someone in the 2nd seat who regularly out performs him both in quali and on race day.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Foggy in Austin. Probably not too much going to happen in practice 1 (think it might be delayed)
    Forum Member
    I think its a mistake to drop Perez for some rookie. Mclaren are having a bad season, you dont make matters worse for next season by dropping a driver with experience for a rookie. If you were going to drop Perez, then you would bring someone in with experience, like Massa. He could have helped develop the car.

I guess it'd depend on the reasons for dropping Perez.

I'm sure we've all heard Hamilton moaning that he just can't wrap his head around the way the Merc' brakes work, compared with the McLaren ones.

In a similar manner, perhaps Perez hasn't been able to get his head around setting up the McLaren and somebody's thought "Geez, if he can't figure out how this year's car works, he's gonna have no chance at all with next year's"?

If that's the case, maybe there's merit in getting somebody who comes with no preconceptions about how to drive the car?
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Foggy in Austin. Probably not too much going to happen in practice 1 (think it might be delayed)

I thought you were talking about ol' Laser Eyes there, for a minute. :D
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Sorry about the F in Fog. :D
    Forum Member
    Tay fook?

Session delayed cos fog means Medical helo' can't take off and then, after the session is underway, it's red-flagged cos the f**king helo' isn't actually there at all! :confused::confused::confused:

*EDIT*

Blimey, Merc' now saying that when they arrived in Austin they discovered that Hamilton had "quite a severe" crack in his car chassis which came from Abu Dhabi and seem to think it may have been there throughout the Abu Dhabi event.

Possibly occurred during his quali' off and nobody noticed it until now?