Will ITV go into the World Cup with Adrian Chiles?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
Forum Member
✭✭
Surely not. He's associated with all that's bad about ITV Sport (stuttering, missing goals, idiotic punditry etc.).

Does his contract run out before the big one?....

Comments

• stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,085
    Forum Member
    Somehow I doubt he'd sign a contract that was due to end right before the World Cup, and ITV aren't stupid enough to offer that either. Unfortunately the miserable, unfunny, uninteresting, depressing sod will still be ITV's 'face of football'. Looking at him is enough to make you depressed, without having to hear his voice as well.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure Chiles had anything to do with the missing goal (how many years ago was that now? Almost 4 years ago and only on HD when hardly anyone had it, I think many who still go on about that forget that they weren't actually effected themselves)

Technically he isn't a pundit either.
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although if he does, and I fully hope and expect him to, he will be the first person to anchor ITV on successive World Cups since Brian Moore did in 1982 and 1986.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly, unfortunately. Tis a shame England will struggle to get out of their group: there may only be one England match on the BBC.

Having said that, the Euro 2012 group was tough too and we won that so...
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Almost certainly, unfortunately. Tis a shame England will struggle to get out of their group: there may only be one England match on the BBC.

Having said that, the Euro 2012 group was tough too and we won that so...

BBC will be a dream compared to ITV.
    Shame BBC only have one England game aswell.

Cannot stand potato face, drives me as batty as Andy Townsend does! And he makes me want to strangle!
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read on DS before (don't know the source) that his contract expires in 2014 and is unlikely to be extended as by then ITV will have virtually no football.
    According to various papers this morning there has been a rearrangement of TV coverage and BBC now have the Italy match ITV the remaining two first-round England games; the BBC will then have first pick of the round of 16 and semi-finals while ITV has first pick of the quarters. Both channels will show the final on July 13.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I have read on DS before (don't know the source) that his contract expires in 2014 and is unlikely to be extended as by then ITV will have virtually no football.
    According to various papers this morning there has been a rearrangement of TV coverage and BBC now have the Italy match ITV the remaining two first-round England games; the BBC will then have first pick of the round of 16 and semi-finals while ITV has first pick of the quarters. Both channels will show the final on July 13.

Rearrangement?
    There's been no rearrangement. The split as decided by the BBC and ITV on Monday hasn't changed.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Chiles, and ITV's coverage in general, seriously worse now than when Des Lynam was phoning it in ("Love the tie, Ally!") or when Matthew Lorenzo was making mistake after mistake, or when boring old Steve Rider was droning on and Townsend wasn't just co-commentating but in the studio as well. Absolutely not, and no real viewer doesn't watch football on ITV because of Chiles.

And of course Chiles was poached because of his immense popularity on the BBC where he was a huge success. When he arrived on Match of the Day 2 he was such a breath of fresh air and in the mid-noughties I would happily say he was my favourite football presenter, during the 2006 World Cup I watched the BBC highlights every night, even though I'd seen all the games, because he was presenting them. I remember when ITV first got the FA Cup they did a 2 Good 2 Bad rip-off on their highlights shows because it was so popular.

He's not as good on ITV but it's mostly because he very rarely gets more than a few minutes on air between the ad breaks. It's no coincidence that all his best moments on ITV have come when games have been abandoned or postponed - the England match with the flooded pitch, the match in the Euros with torrential rain - or when a big story has broken while they've been on air, like when Capello resigned, or when they've been at a lower league ground with things to joke about.

Miserable? Depressing? Well, he's not like an eager-to-please Sky Sports presenter bot who will follow the company line and hype everything up like it's the second coming but that was never his appeal and that's not why they signed him. I seem to recall Des Lynam being very relaxed and laid-back and irreverent, never getting overly enthusiastic, and people loved that. And he's got a brilliant sense of humour, he exhibited it constantly at the Beeb. Anyone who's read his book or seen him talking about West Brom will know he loves football and never takes it seriously.

What annoys me most about these identikit Chiles/ITV threads is that whenever there's a live match on the Beeb, you can't move for people slagging off Lineker, Hansen, Shearer and Lawrenson.
  • gopher_uk1gopher_uk1 Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Chile's style does not suit the three/four minutes between ads that the ITV coverage gives him.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's perfectly fine. He talks/acts more like a fan than the Sky lot who treat every match as if it is a matter of life or death. It aint. It's there for enjoyment and he brings that across well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gopher_uk1 wrote: »
    Chile's style does not suit the three/four minutes between ads that the ITV coverage gives him.
    I think he's perfectly fine. He talks/acts more like a fan than the Sky lot who treat every match as if it is a matter of life or death. It aint. It's there for enjoyment and he brings that across well.

Chile's style doesn't suit ITV's style. ITV has gone with the more laid-back approach compared to Sky's professional style (with the BBC sitting somewhere in between depending on which show you're watching). However, Chiles is such a poor choice to front this kind of presentation considering he always looks miserable and has no personality.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I don't know about the World Cup, but generally of late I tend to make a note of the kick-off time and deliberately miss the pre/mid/post match padding. (The dog get an extra walkies at half-time).

Never been a fan of the ITV on-screen presentation teams and in the post Keys / Grey era, Sky's pre-match build-up is no longer worth the bother and that "Top Gear" session with a crowd is awfull.

Thankfully I find the commentary guys ok, so it doesn't actually ruin the football.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just the same old miserable gits moaning about the same thing ad nausem.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,845
    Forum Member
    I never get the 'i wont watch it on x or y because of x or y'. Get a bloody grip, if it was down to me the programme would start as the players were running out at the start, the commentator would be sat on his own, say the players names and very little else and Latvian mud wrestling would be shown at half time.

My Grandad was a daft old sod - a bit like Grandad in Only Fools - except with a West Country accent - if it was on ITV he'd go "pah, bloody adverts" - if it was BBC he'd say "pah - who wants to hear these old jabbering fools". I did once ask what he'd do and he said if it was up to him they'd swap ends and carry on like they did in rugby at that time :p

I could never stand bloody Motson, i'd never not watch a game because he was doing the commentary
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if they'll cut to adverts again! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I never get the 'i wont watch it on x or y because of x or y'. Get a bloody grip, if it was down to me the programme would start as the players were running out at the start, the commentator would be sat on his own, say the players names and very little else and Latvian mud wrestling would be shown at half time.
    Not sure anyone in this thread has said they wouldn't watch a match if it was on a certain channel. That doesn't mean one can't prefer the presentation of one channel over another for a particular event/sport.

ITV's football coverage has one thing going for it and that is the pundits. Lee Dixon is great, Roy Keane is entertaining due to his unique approach, and Gareth Southgate is decent as well. Can't think of anything else that isn't outdone by BT, Sky and/or the BBC.
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I could never stand bloody Motson, i'd never not watch a game because he was doing the commentary
    I can't stand Clive Tyldesley but since ITV has all England matches (outside of the odd one or two every two years in tournaments) and Champions League football (for the moment at least), I have to put up with it. I often turn the sound down a bit so I can tune him out. If ITV HD ever joins the 21st century and offers 5.1 then maybe I can disable the centre channel to remove the commentary!
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,845
    Forum Member
    Not sure anyone in this thread has said they wouldn't watch a match if it was on a certain channel. That doesn't mean one can't prefer the presentation of one channel over another for a particular event/sport.

ITV's football coverage has one thing going for it and that is the pundits. Lee Dixon is great, Roy Keane is entertaining due to his unique approach, and Gareth Southgate is decent as well. Can't think of anything else that isn't outdone by BT, Sky and/or the BBC.

Not on this thread to be fair but on others I have read people have said that (and i don't believe them). I think ITV is fine, I also think BBC / Sky and BT are fine, its horses for courses - one man's favourite is another's pain in the arse
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's perfectly fine.
    I hate these presenter/commentator knocking threads. The amount of sheer nastiness and bile contained in them is shocking.
    Threads like this probably cost Jim Beglin his ITV job.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Chiles, and ITV's coverage in general, seriously worse now than when Des Lynam was phoning it in ("Love the tie, Ally!") or when Matthew Lorenzo was making mistake after mistake, or when boring old Steve Rider was droning on and Townsend wasn't just co-commentating but in the studio as well. Absolutely not, and no real viewer doesn't watch football on ITV because of Chiles.

And of course Chiles was poached because of his immense popularity on the BBC where he was a huge success. When he arrived on Match of the Day 2 he was such a breath of fresh air and in the mid-noughties I would happily say he was my favourite football presenter, during the 2006 World Cup I watched the BBC highlights every night, even though I'd seen all the games, because he was presenting them. I remember when ITV first got the FA Cup they did a 2 Good 2 Bad rip-off on their highlights shows because it was so popular.

He's not as good on ITV but it's mostly because he very rarely gets more than a few minutes on air between the ad breaks. It's no coincidence that all his best moments on ITV have come when games have been abandoned or postponed - the England match with the flooded pitch, the match in the Euros with torrential rain - or when a big story has broken while they've been on air, like when Capello resigned, or when they've been at a lower league ground with things to joke about.

Miserable? Depressing? Well, he's not like an eager-to-please Sky Sports presenter bot who will follow the company line and hype everything up like it's the second coming but that was never his appeal and that's not why they signed him. I seem to recall Des Lynam being very relaxed and laid-back and irreverent, never getting overly enthusiastic, and people loved that. And he's got a brilliant sense of humour, he exhibited it constantly at the Beeb. Anyone who's read his book or seen him talking about West Brom will know he loves football and never takes it seriously.

What annoys me most about these identikit Chiles/ITV threads is that whenever there's a live match on the Beeb, you can't move for people slagging off Lineker, Hansen, Shearer and Lawrenson.

Des Lynam was much better than Chiles. I agree that Chiles is much better than Steve Ryder. Did Matthew Lorenzo anchor USA '94? I can't really remember him
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely avoid all build up to games these days - channel gets turned on 1 minute before kick off and usually switch over at half and full time. That's if i'm even watching it at home - more often than not it's in a pub where you're not paying any attention to what's being said anyway.

The only presenter I ever liked was Colin Murray, but he appears to have been sent into broadcasting oblivion.
  • 19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chiles isn't the antichrist that many make him out to be. He works well as a vaguely amusing mild irritant to Roy Keane. ITV's problems are more to do with the continued employment of Andy Townsend and Clive Tyldesley. Hopefully with his job with the England U21's we'll have to suffer Gareth Southgate less often also. Although with Keane involved with the Republic of Ireland now he'll be seen less on ITV once the FA Cup and live Champions League vanish from their schedules over the course of the next 18 months. If Chiles is replaced then ITV's coverage will look very different.

As said above he's set to be the first person to front multiple World Cup's on ITV since Brian Moore. They'd still take a hammering in the ratings against the BBC come the final itself no matter who they had fronting the tournament though.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's already been reported that the ITV presenters and pundits will stay in London for the first round while the BBC will be in Brazil. So if England go out after the first three games it seems certain Chiles won't be in Brazil for ITV:o
  • CPFCCPFC Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    It's already been reported that the ITV presenters and pundits will stay in London for the first round while the BBC will be in Brazil. So if England go out after the first three games it seems certain Chiles won't be in Brazil for ITV:o

keep up. It's since been reported that ITV are going out to Brazil after all.
    And according to a recent Daily Mail report, Adrian is set to sign a new non-exclusive contract to stay on doing ITV football, allowing him to do more BBC radio work (and no doubt on reduced pay). Good news - I like him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC team didn't go to South Africa until the knockout stages so ITV doing the same this time wouldn't have been a huge surprise.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC team didn't go to South Africa until the knockout stages so ITV doing the same this time wouldn't have been a huge surprise.

That's not true - both BBC and ITV were in SA all the way thorough. You're thinking of Euro 2012, where the Beeb only flew out to the grounds for England's QF, the semis and the final.