Options

What is the most enjoyable job you have had?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
a few weeks ago we had have you ever had a job you hate so was just wondering what is the most enjoyable job you have had?

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had an enjoyable job
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I worked in an art gallery, that was pretty enjoyable being pretty much paid to just look at art all day.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Working as a stable hand. Absolutely loved it.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working in a bar was pretty fun. Hard work, but a lot of good times.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    At age 18 - working on a dairy farm, looking after and feeding Guernsey calves

Aged 45 - 60 - running a farmhouse B&B and stud farm

60 to 69 - working as PA at an on-line radio station and presenting my own show twice a week. Great fun! :D

www.studyvoxfm.com
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work for the DWP as a job seeker for six months and it was a lot of fun. Flexible hours, working from home and great personal freedom.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved working in a pharmacy. The atmosphere was the best I've ever been in, the customers were so friendly and there was always time for chatter. I was nothing more than a shop assistant mind but I felt like I was doing something more important than working in a supermarket and had just the right amount of responsibilities. Really nice area to get into, imo
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doorwork at the students union when I was at uni. Best fun I ever had.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one I have right now as a househusband and carer to my disabled family. I have nobody to answer to but myself.

Other than that I've never enjoyed being employed by someone else due to the fact that I hate working with other people and dislike anyone telling me what to do. I like to do MY work when it suits ME. I'm not lazy per say. I just can't be arsed to work if it's not something I enjoy that ultimately benefits me or that I'm particularly interested in.

I have however hag a few easy jobs which were great because I got to skive about and play computer games and sit on DS all day and go for **** breaks and noon to the pub at lunchtime due to the fact that we were hired to do a job where there wasn't any work on. It was alright but after a while it got a bit tedious.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a Full Time Mummy :D Just kidding, I left my last job due to post natal depression and would give my right arm to have it back. Hated it at the time but looking back it wasn't as bad as I made out.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worked on ante natal/post natal/labour ward and obstetric theatres at a hospital in Surrey. A joy, a privilege and sometimes poignant. It was hard work, grueling, short staffed and shit pay, but I adored it. The women, the families and the other midwives were great.
    Some people have their cot tags, wrist bands,birth weight, date and time of birth watched and recorded by me-that is lovely.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    running a bar.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a few actually, but for many different reasons.

One job I had, i'd been there a week and realised it wasn't going to work but rather than hand in my notice, I decided I'd look for something else and just walk at the end of the month when i got paid.

The three weeks after that were some of the most enjoyable i'd ever spent working. Because I knew I was leaving, nothing mattered. I'd roll in at 10am sometimes and go home at 4pm. I'd go off for 2 or 3 hour lunchbreaks and sometimes just not come back and go home as well.

I'd read the paper at my desk or play games on my PC. And not one single person pulled me up on it.

I also did a 6 month contract just outside Amsterdam which I loved, mainly because I didn't actually do a great deal and got paid silly money for doing so :)
  • Options
    kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    The one I have right now as a househusband and carer to my disabled family. I have nobody to answer to but myself.

Other than that I've never enjoyed being employed by someone else due to the fact that I hate working with other people and dislike anyone telling me what to do. I like to do MY work when it suits ME. I'm not lazy per say. I just can't be arsed to work if it's not something I enjoy that ultimately benefits me or that I'm particularly interested in.

I have however hag a few easy jobs which were great because I got to skive about and play computer games and sit on DS all day and go for **** breaks and noon to the pub at lunchtime due to the fact that we were hired to do a job where there wasn't any work on. It was alright but after a while it got a bit tedious.

I'm positive you did a thread recently stating how rude the younger generation are and that they won't come up and talk to you in public. I can totally see why! ;-)
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Working in a small book shop.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Policeman, loved it.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Working in a small book shop.

Yes, I think I would enjoy this too.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Yes, I think I would enjoy this too.

God i miss it :cry: But the owner decided to retire.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble shooter and Tech' Rep' for a heating appliance manufacturer, Company car, Expenses, Programme your own day. Travel 7 counties. A very rewarding job, virtually own boss. I used to look forward to going to work and solving problems. Happy Days.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working in I.T., as I did for 12 years, was, for me, a hugely enjoyable job anyway. I'd always been interested in computers from a young age so getting paid to use computers on a daily basis and write programs was something I always enjoyed.

I'd love to get back in to it but I think it's moved on far too much and i've been out of it for far too long as well unfortunately.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The work I do now is enjoyable though there is alot of pressure.

When I left school I worked in a library for a year. I loved that.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Worked as a sales rep for an office machine co and shown the ropes by a senior salesman.
    Here is how an average day would go for us.
    Arrive office 9.30 . Have tea and check mail. Listen to pep talk from manager
    10 am out on road to nearest cafe - more tea.
    11 am call on a customer or two
    12 noon telephone office (pre cell phone era) to check for any calls
    Take leisurely lunch hour or two and decide whether to go to cinema, race track
    or sunbathe. 4 pm go home or back to office (optional)

Perks included £2 lunch allowance weekly - and travelling expenses genuine or not. and commission on all account customers purchases on top of salary.
    not to mention unofficial sales bringing in almost half again of weekly salary.
    ie disposing of customers old unwanted office equipment.

Best job ever had.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    the one I enjoyed most was when I was a junior staff nurse on a colorectal ward as it was the time I got to do the most hands on nursing - the more senior you get the less you can do. though at the weekend I did my round of the hospital wards and annoyed my colleague by spending loads of time undoing sweets, making tea, having a chat..... as opposed to just saying 'how many empty beds have you?' to the nurse in charge
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always worked in accounting so every job has been much the same. The difference therefore have been the people I worked with and on one occasion my commute was a very short bus ride and it was heaven to be home early.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    I'm positive you did a thread recently stating how rude the younger generation are and that they won't come up and talk to you in public. I can totally see why! ;-)

Spoilt, arrogant, selfish come to mind:o