Options

Will Labour pledge to tackle the wealth divide?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
Forum Member
✭✭
Labour, once the party of the poor, are now courting the Sun readership (average IQs in the range of dishwater) and promising to come down hard on the poorest people in our society, given the fact that 95% of this country's wealth is in the hands of the richest 5% of people, will Labour pledge to tackle this obscene financial divide, or will they press on with Tory ideology and drive even more children into a futureless life of poverty and hopelessness?

Hmm, I wonder.

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    There was a greater wealth divide at the end of 13 years of New Labour than there was under Mrs Thatcher - and they more or less saw the end of meritocracy.

Keep the poor poor and ply them with benefits - and keep em docile/voting Labour.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    probably not.............all 3 main parties rule on behalf of the corporate elite

they'll probably be less strident in fighting the class war though............
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wealth divide is not the issue. It matters not one iota how much other people are earning. Stop the politics of envy.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wealth divide is not the issue. It matters not one iota how much other people are earning. Stop the politics of envy.

People who constantly bang on about the wealth divide and millionaires seem to neglect the fact that on a world wide basis they probably sit within the top 5-10% of wealthiest people themselves.

These people spend all their time looking up at those who are wealthier than them with an envy bordering on hatred but never stop to think how lucky they are that in the grand scheme of things they themselves could be far worse off.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour caused it.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    If you keep importing more people at the bottom end of things, the divide will always increase.

Such top and bottom % comparisons are meaningless. If the top x% suddenly overnight got richer or poorer , it wouldn't directly change things for everybody else.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour had 13 years between 1997 & 2010 to do something about it - and they didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What needs to be done is control rents/ utility bills + a new national minimum wage of over £8.00 p/hr for starters.

If you control rents you stop unscrupulous landlords from ripping off housing benefit as well as putting more money in people's pockets.

Also massive crack down on tax avoidance/ evasion to bring more money into the coffers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And a hefty tax on foreign owned properties - stop allowing rich foreigners from dumping their billions into UK property driving up prices for British people.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    What needs to be done is control rents/ utility bills + a new national minimum wage of over £8.00 p/hr for starters.

If you control rents you stop unscrupulous landlords from ripping off housing benefit as well as putting more money in people's pockets.

Also massive crack down on tax avoidance/ evasion to bring more money into the coffers.

I wouldn't call my landlord unscrupulous (even though I do think my place is over-priced), he has a mortgage to pay on my flat & the one next-door which he owns also, of course he has to make some profit - or what would be his incentive? Philanthropy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »

You should only be paid what the free market can bear for your level of productivity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call my landlord unscrupulous (even though I do think my place is over-priced), he has a mortgage to pay on my flat & the one next-door which he owns also, of course he has to make some profit - or what would be his incentive? Philanthropy?

I didn't say ALL landlords were unscrupulous
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should only be paid what the free market can bear for your level of productivity.

Well the original minimum wage had the free-marketeers wailing at the swathes of job losses that would ensue
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The traditional Labour approach is to make everyone poor.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    There was a greater wealth divide at the end of 13 years of New Labour than there was under Mrs Thatcher - and they more or less saw the end of meritocracy.

Keep the poor poor and ply them with benefits - and keep em docile/voting Labour.

Your theory implies that there enough jobs out there to go round and that those jobs pay well enough to lift people out of poverty. Interesting that the people that argue like this are the ones that not only think the benefits system shouldn't exist but also that employers shouldn't pay a fair and decent wage. Interesting when you think that if they did over half the benefits claimed in this country would disapear as people wouldn't need them.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who says they were the party of the poor?
    and they won't
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member

It is not envy, I look down on them with pity, if they were clever they would not need so much money. If they were proper human beings they would delight in being able to share their wealth to help their fellow men and women.

Would I choose to swap, no way thank you
  • Options
    thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

must suck to pay for someone elses mortgage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So when we're having a debate about how many crumbs we give to the poor, the fact that there is a vast ocean of money at the top is an irrelevance?

As for your idiotic statement about envy, I simply understand the difference between envy and injustice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HungerCult wrote: »
    So when we're having a debate about how many crumbs we give to the poor, the fact that there is a vast ocean of money at the top is an irrelevance?

As for your idiotic statement about envy, I simply understand the difference between envy and injustice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=okHGCz6xxiw#!
  • Options
    thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HungerCult wrote: »
    Labour, once the party of the poor, are now courting the Sun readership (average IQs in the range of dishwater) and promising to come down hard on the poorest people in our society, given the fact that 95% of this country's wealth is in the hands of the richest 5% of people, will Labour pledge to tackle this obscene financial divide, or will they press on with Tory ideology and r.

how will they tackle this "obscene financial divide" ? tax the rich more ? won't that make the rich pack up their bags and leave to another country where they''ll be very welcome ?
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how will they tackle this "obscene financial divide" ? tax the rich more ? won't that make the rich pack up their bags and leave to another country where they''ll be very welcome ?

The trouble is that many people still have a very 1960's view of the world, its as if globalisation and the rise of the internet had never happened. If you are fund manager in the old days you had to be based in London and deal at one of the exchanges personally, nowdays you can sit behind a computer in any city in the world and operate. It may be unfortunate that this has happened from a tax raising perspective, but it is the reality - the higher paid you are, the more your ability to base yourself in multiple jurisdictions.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't manipulate social status. Robin Hood politics is what divides a nation, most people who are wealthy have not been born into it, they have aspired to sucess, have worked hard for it and deserve the rewards. Under taxation the wealthy do make the major contribution but it is dangerous to take away aspiration and punish people financially for achieving wealth.

We want to attract wealth into the country and not loose the wealthy that we have by driving them overseas. If you buy a lottery ticket every week and you get lucky would you want to be demonized? I admire people like Lord Sugar who is self made, and they deserve their wealth. I am not jealous, and sometimes I think jealousy is at the heart of the attitude towards the wealthy.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wealth divide could easily be solved by giving the north of England independence.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    The wealth divide could easily be solved by giving the north of England independence.

But theres more to the uk then the south, london is not the uk