Netflix launching on Tivo

AndylandAndyland Posts: 516
Forum Member
✭✭

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice result for Virgin customers. Still wouldn't make me go back for TiVo though ..

I wonder if they'll offer free Netflix through retentions or for new signups ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excellent news! this will certainly keep me sticking with Virgin media Tivo for alot longer :)
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really pleased Virgin are finally getting Netflix, though they have taken a very long time sorting it out. It has been mooted since the Tivo first launched back in early 2011, have to wonder how many there are left who really NEED the Tivo in order to watch it, with games consoles, smart TVs, HTPCs etc all Neflix compatible, Virgin might well be too late to gain much interest in this.

The one thing that would have really helped generate interest is some kind of incentive for Virgin Media customers to sign up to Netflix, but that incentive just doesn't seem to be there at all, since they are charging the exact same price as a normal Netflix subscription, where is the benefit to us paying VM subscribers?

I find the news generally good but the price disappointing, maybe it will improve with time or they will create a bundle deal to save money on the subscription? Hope so otherwise I for one won't be bothering with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    steven123 wrote: »
    I'm really pleased Virgin are finally getting Netflix, though they have taken a very long time sorting it out. It has been mooted since the Tivo first launched back in early 2011, have to wonder how many there are left who really NEED the Tivo in order to watch it, with games consoles, smart TVs, HTPCs etc all Neflix compatible, Virgin might well be too late to gain much interest in this.

The one thing that would have really helped generate interest is some kind of incentive for Virgin Media customers to sign up to Netflix, but that incentive just doesn't seem to be there at all, since they are charging the exact same price as a normal Netflix subscription, where is the benefit to us paying VM subscribers?

I find the news generally good but the price disappointing, maybe it will improve with time or they will create a bundle deal to save money on the subscription? Hope so otherwise I for one won't be bothering with it.

Quit moaning £5.99 a month is not a bad price and now you have another device to access it from
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quit moaning £5.99 a month is not a bad price and now you have another device to access it from

It's not a moan, I said I'm glad they are getting it, but they have missed a trick by not offering any incentive the VM customers, as I mentioned with the wealth of other compatible devices already having one more isn't that much of a big deal IMHO, I'd much rather have it for £4.99 for example considering we already pay a significant amount to VM each month and I'm sure others feel the same way.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    ..have to wonder how many there are left who really NEED the Tivo in order to watch it, with games consoles, smart TVs, HTPCs etc all Neflix compatible, Virgin might well be too late to gain much interest in this.
    OTOH, I need my Tivo; I don't need Netflix :)
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I would get this only if i could get the U.S. version of netflix, i use unblock-us, i presume as the tivo has its own connection, the dns couldnt be altered, so you would be locked to the UK version, well at least on the tivo at least, i presume you would get a password to use at your pc.
  • NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha, one week after I bought WD TV just for Nefflix!

Wonder if it will support Dolby Digital? If so then I'll probably ditch WD TV, Netflix is pretty much all I'd use it for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well now - software has been updated. All feels slicker now - more responsive and some more refined graphics, looks like a big update.

And as for Netflix - yes it is in Dolby Digital and HD. Worked first time for me. Anyone wanna buy a 3 week old WD Play box?! :-)
  • passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really pleased Virgin are finally getting Netflix, though they have taken a very long time sorting it out. It has been mooted since the Tivo first launched back in early 2011.

Given that Netflix didn't launch in the UK until January 2012, there was no mooting at all when Tivo first launched ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    Anyone wanna buy a 3 week old WD Play box?! :-)

I'd stick with the Play box. As has been said, you can't use Unblockus with the Tivo Netflix app, and the £3.20/month for Unblockus brings masses more content compared to just UK Netflix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    passingbat wrote: »
    I'd stick with the Play box. As has been said, you can't use Unblockus with the Tivo Netflix app, and the £3.20/month for Unblockus brings masses more content compared to just UK Netflix.

Unblock US doesn't work with the new generation of WD Play boxes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unblock US doesn't work with the new generation of WD Play boxes.
    Didn't know that; thanks for the info.
    Is there any particular reason that you know of?

It works on my WDTV Live SMP. I wonder what is different?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just looked at the manual for the WD Play and you can go in and change DNS settings, so wondering why Unblockus doesn't work on it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    passingbat wrote: »
    I just looked at the manual for the WD Play and you can go in and change DNS settings, so wondering why Unblockus doesn't work on it?

Here's from the Unblock Us website - http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's out of date info.

My Wd Live SMP is third generation, bought in the UK and it works.

You won't get the US apps such as hulu but you do get netflix.

Give it a try, it is free for a week.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame my box isn't one of the 40,000 :(