Options

Instagram on PC

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Im wondering can you get onto instagram with
a pc desktop.... with xp ..... ?

Twitter is no prob, but is instagram mobile only ? or android only ?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be wrong, but I think you have to sign up from a mobile device?
    But once you have an account you can log in from your PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    THANKS, you must be right, Ive tried the links
    but got nowhere,
    Ive got a tablet, maybe that will hack it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    THANKS, you must be right, Ive tried the links
    but got nowhere,
    Ive got a tablet, maybe that will hack it ?

Yes, you download the Instagram app for Android or ios, and create your account.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Managed to do it on my tablet,
    Ill just go and see if I can sign in on this desktop comp ......
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why would anyone want Instagram on anything?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »

I don't get it either. but i think it's safe to say we are in the minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I don't get it either. but i think it's safe to say we are in the minority.

I like that, I like being in the minority
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

To look at pictures people post.on things like twitter For some reason it doesn't work on IE8 - there's no picture: - and if you have XP you can't use any IE newer than IE8? Its another reason they are creating for XP users to move to a nice lovely new Windows 8 machine. Youtubes are also warning they may soon be incompatible with IE8 too...which we will either drive more people to other browsers, or new machines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I m getting on intagram ok and getting a recommended list
    of people I should " follow " but I click on the thumbs
    and nothing happens
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To look at pictures people post.on things like twitter For some reason it doesn't work on IE8 - there's no picture: - and if you have XP you can't use any IE newer than IE8? Its another reason they are creating for XP users to move to a nice lovely new Windows 8 machine. Youtubes are also warning they may soon be incompatible with IE8 too...which we will either drive more people to other browsers, or new machines.

But can you not post pictures on things like twitter and facebook anyway? i know I do, if I take a picture with my phone i can upload them directly to Facebook, send it via email or SMS, but SMS will cost me extra, so I don't use SMS very often.

People should dump IE anyway, use a chrome clone, firefox or Opera.
    I think chrome is still going to support windows XP for a while longer, so you can still use XP.
    You don't have a buy a new machine to get Windows 8 and if you got a older machine that will not run windows 8 then go for a Linux distro.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    People should dump IE anyway, use a chrome clone, firefox or Opera.
    I think chrome is still going to support windows XP for a while longer, so you can still use XP.

You don't have a buy a new machine to get Windows 8 and if you got a older machine that will not run windows 8 then go for a Linux distro.
    Opera is essentially another Chrome clone now. Opera 12 (the last build to use the Presto engine) is still available and maintained with security fixes but apparently not for much longer.

I'm not really a fan of Chrome but for anyone adamant of sticking with Windows XP it is probably the best option.

When Google and Mozilla eventually pull the plug on XP support I imagine a lot more people would be forced to take action. Your average Joe probably doesnt care less about security fixes and the like but once they stop being able to access Facebook, Youtube etc their attitude will almost certainly change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im hoping, when things get really desperate... that my local
    comp show will be able to wipe my desktop comp and install
    the latest operating system .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Opera is essentially another Chrome clone now. Opera 12 (the last build to use the Presto engine) is still available and maintained with security fixes but apparently not for much longer.

Apart from the fact that when I tried it none of the chrome apps worked on it
    I'm not really a fan of Chrome but for anyone adamant of sticking with Windows XP it is probably the best option.

chrome itself I am not a fan of, but I do like the clones, they tend to not go mad with all the google stuff, like the latest thing Google is doing google now. i can't see that happening on clones.

When Google and Mozilla eventually pull the plug on XP support I imagine a lot more people would be forced to take action. Your average Joe probably doesnt care less about security fixes and the like but once they stop being able to access Facebook, Youtube etc their attitude will almost certainly change.

The majority of people i know have gone for windows 7 if their machine is powerful enough. Some have gone for windows 8, either because they updated their computer to a newer machine or they got 8 when it was cheap. One of these people have gone back to 7

A few others I have managed to change over to Linux as their machines would not run 7 or 8
    I think i know of 4-5 computers still on XP and that don't include the ones at work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seems to be working ok now,
    I click on a thumb and the big pic comes up

does nt seem to be any ... right click... save image
    which is a drag....
    how are you supposed to save the pic ?

The trick now is to find interesting people to follow
    and see photos they ve taken in everyday life.

In twitter you post meaningless 2 sentances of verbage

looks like instagram is for those who just want to post a pic to friends and followers.

Everyone is snapping pics with their phones
    who uses cameras anymore ?
    the pic quality is
    getting better and better..... looks like instagram is the future.

No doubt twitter will now bust a gut to make their service more photo friendly.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to be working ok now,
    I click on a thumb and the big pic comes up

does nt seem to be any ... right click... save image
    which is a drag....
    how are you supposed to save the pic ?

The trick now is to find interesting people to follow
    and see photos they ve taken in everyday life.

In twitter you post meaningless 2 sentances of verbage

looks like instagram is for those who just want to post a pic to friends and followers.

Everyone is snapping pics with their phones
    who uses cameras anymore ?
    the pic quality is
    getting better and better..... looks like instagram is the future.

No doubt twitter will now bust a gut to make their service more photo friendly.....

If you right click and select 'inspect element' it brings the relevant code up, with the URL of the image handily underlined. Easy then to copy and paste it into another tab (or just right click the image link and select 'open link in new tab'), and then 'save image as..' ;-)
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nobody with an answer to the original question? How can you respond to posts without a smartphone, like facebook...
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the pic quality is getting better and better..... looks like instagram is the future.

instagram relies on tacky filters to make photos look passable. Compare to the great photos on 500px.com or even pinterest or Google+. And as its been bought by Facebook, I doubt it will be anything more than a stepping stone to a new bit of FB.

as to the OP, you can view individual profiles on a desktop, e.g.
    http://instagram.com/england#

but you can't do much else; its just available via app. Another reason why its unlikely to be the future :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    THANKS for that tip empty

I use f fox and usu get 10 or so pics into tabs then
    click tools
    save pics in tabs to right and those 10 pics
    zoom into documents

Ill see if inspect element will allow that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can get on instagram ok but theres a stupid blue
    bar about one centimetre thick
    3/4 way up the screen.... with instagram written on it !

I did the... inspect element thing to try and get the pic but stone me.... theres a ton of code in there....... cant make head nor tail.

Ill have to keep using the sc button top right
    then pasting the result to irfan view then clipping the pic .