Better apart; Scots need democracy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's ridiculous that the 'Better Together' quango think that Scots should put up with a government they didn't vote for, since tories have negligible support there. Why do they claim to be democrats while expecting Scots to be ruled by a Westminster government they didn't vote for?

Comments

• irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ridiculous that the 'Better Together' quango think that Scots should put up with a government they didn't vote for, since tories have negligible support there. Why do they claim to be democrats while expecting Scots to be ruled by a Westminster government they didn't vote for?

At least the Scots have the opportunity to vote for the main Westminster parties- unlike here where only the tory party fields candidates and nobody votes for them anyway! Scots have it better off than we do.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm for Scottish independence but I really don't think you needed to start a new thread just to declare your opinion on the matter. There are many others trundling on in the Politics section..

Speaking of which, this should have been posted to Politics, not GD..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We have a Scottish parliament that has a lot of power that the Scots voted for. I've never voted for them and never will.

What quango:confused:

I won't be voting yes anyway. The SNP claim to be democrats, just want to divide the UK. It won't happen.
  • AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This statement is so dense that light actually bends around it.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    This statement is so dense that light actually bends around it.
    They could probably use it to shield the reactors at Faslane.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for independence. We need to keep England as ginger free as possible :D
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for independence. We need to keep England as ginger free as possible :D

Nooooo. We need more ginger genes.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Nooooo. We need more ginger genes.

Well..

More of this.

Less of this.
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everyone who says this (a frightening number) doesn't understand how representative democracy works. Regardless of how big the country is, we can't always get the government that 'we' voted for.

Sometimes, other people have a different opinion and vote for a different party! Sometimes you don't get the MP/MSP you voted for. Sometimes you do get the MP/MSP you voted for, but they disagree with you on something, and vote a different way to how you want them to. Sometimes they do vote as you wish, but the other MPs/MSPs voted for by other people will vote differently.

Democracy does not mean you always get your own way. Reducing the size of a country is no guarantee that your favourite party will be the majority one, or that they will only make laws that you like.

Does your local council only make decisions you approve of? Arguably, they are more even more democratic than an Independent Scotland would be. If Independence goes ahead, will you be campaigning for further division into smaller, and therefore more democratic areas?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry.
    Politicians have very little real world power. Its all down to multinationals and the banks. And none of us voted them in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I'm for Scottish independence but I really don't think you needed to start a new thread just to declare your opinion on the matter. There are many others trundling on in the Politics section..

Speaking of which, this should have been posted to Politics, not GD..

Points both taken. I highlighted the post because I hadn't heard any challenge in the broadcast media to the Better Together campaign claiming to be democrats while denying basic democracy to Scots and complaining about the west Lothian question at same time.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could say the same about Northern Ireland. We have zero say in who goes into government in Westminster.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let 'em go it alone, and see how they survive off of an economy consisting solely of haggis, heroin, and shortbread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Everyone who says this (a frightening number) doesn't understand how representative democracy works. Regardless of how big the country is, we can't always get the government that 'we' voted for.

Sometimes, other people have a different opinion and vote for a different party! Sometimes you don't get the MP/MSP you voted for. Sometimes you do get the MP/MSP you voted for, but they disagree with you on something, and vote a different way to how you want them to. Sometimes they do vote as you wish, but the other MPs/MSPs voted for by other people will vote differently.

Democracy does not mean you always get your own way. Reducing the size of a country is no guarantee that your favourite party will be the majority one, or that they will only make laws that you like.

Does your local council only make decisions you approve of? Arguably, they are more even more democratic than an Independent Scotland would be. If Independence goes ahead, will you be campaigning for further division into smaller, and therefore more democratic areas?

You can't compare the way democracy works in the rest of the UK [normal political entities], or with the Republic, with the contrived set up over here in the Ruritanian fantasy politics we're stuck with. I won't be campaigning for anything to do with the Scots ref. It's entirely their business.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately all of the polls are suggesting that the Scots won't be getting 'independence' after all. Salmond is going to lose.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    At least the Scots have the opportunity to vote for the main Westminster parties- unlike here where only the tory party fields candidates and nobody votes for them anyway! Scots have it better off than we do.

And Scottish MPs can still vote at Westminster on matters that don't affect the Scots in the slightest. I really don't know what the Scots are complaining about. They have it much better than the rest of the UK.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ridiculous that the 'Better Together' quango think that Scots should put up with a government they didn't vote for

Most of the UK is ruled by a government they didn't vote for.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Most of the UK is ruled by a government they didn't vote for.

And the SNP got less than 50% of the vote in Scotland, yet somehow they formed a Government. That's why this particular argument doesn't gain much traction with people who have thought about it for more than five minutes and can do sums.

Scots will have the democratic right to change how we are governed, and if most voters want to remain part of the Union, then the "pro-democracy" separatists will have to suck it up. Respecting democracy means respecting that you don't always get your own way.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately all of the polls are suggesting that the Scots won't be getting 'independence' after all. Salmond is going to lose.

Thank goodness, the majority of Scots have more sense than to be led by the nose and are perfectly capable of cutting through the dross and rhetoric of the yes campaign and decide for themselves.
    This should be in politics.
    I see tears before bedtime :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Thank goodness, the majority of Scots have more sense than to be led by the nose and are perfectly capable of cutting through the dross and rhetoric of the yes campaign and decide for themselves.
    This should be in politics.
    I see tears before bedtime :D

As far as I can see, it is the no campaign engaging in dross and rhetoric with a healthy dollop of scaremongering thrown in.

Not unlike the anti alternative vote campaign.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should Scotland vote for separation they will be doomed to having Left wing administrations forever, thousands of Scots will have to suffer successive governments they didn't vote for.

Hold on, isn't that where we came in ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Should Scotland vote for separation they will be doomed to having Left wing administrations forever, thousands of Scots will have to suffer successive governments they didn't vote for.

Hold on, isn't that where we came in ?

A good example of the scaremongering I was referring to.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    We have a Scottish parliament that has a lot of power that the Scots voted for. I've never voted for them and never will.

What quango:confused:

I won't be voting yes anyway. The SNP claim to be democrats, just want to divide the UK. It won't happen.
    May I hazard a guess that you are, in fact, English?
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good example of the scaremongering I was referring to.

I think the Dispatches programme tonight will discuss all the scaremongering on both sides and including the pressure being put on Scottish businesses not to speak out by ...guess? The SNP .