What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The Storyteller' Jodi Picoult. Loving it. Very different from her previous stuff.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Sleep, Stephen King's belated sequel to The Shining.
    Just as creepy and nasty as you'd hope.:eek:
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I've finished The Cry now. Quite a difficult read in places but very well written and saved from being too grim by the perspective of the baby's father's ex-wife and some black humour. The plot twists and turns unexpectedly. I'm glad that I stuck with it.

I'm now reading something much lighter, The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde, the first in the Nursery Crymes series.

Im now 50% in on The Cry now, couldnt put it down last night.
    At points though I nearly gave up and it is quite disturbing in places but i am enjoying reading the ex wife's section the most and the daughter.
    Strange that they thought this would be a possible solution to the problems.
    Did you get shades of McCann from it?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colleen — Welcome To My World.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im now 50% in on The Cry now, couldnt put it down last night.
    At points though I nearly gave up and it is quite disturbing in places but i am enjoying reading the ex wife's section the most and the daughter.
    Strange that they thought this would be a possible solution to the problems.
    Did you get shades of McCann from it?

I think that the reasoning for their solution becomes clearer as the book progresses, but it's still strange. The plot did put me in mind of the McCanns and also the Lindy Chamberlain case. Let me know what you think of the ending.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just discovered Tamar Cohen. Excellent writer three books so far first one "The mistresses Revenge", loved it kept me reading until the wee small hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa Jewell- Before I Met You

loved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many readers have said how good Samantha Hayes book "Because you are mine" is , I have ordered it from Amazon.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Carrier by Sophie Hannah.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    The Twelve by Justin Cronin- I must be weird because I'm really enjoying it so far. I think the general consensus was that it was rubbish.
  • dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished " Red Card Roy" .. the colourful tale of striker/centerhalf Roy McDonough .. mainly drinking and womanising + a few footy matches in between!. Much better than the sterile autobiogs you get from your Beckhams and Giggses
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
    Jury's out so far.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re-reading 'The Long Walk' by Slavomir Rawicz,a true story of an escape by a group of prisoners,from the Russian Siberian Gulag camps.
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams, more of a snack than a meal compared to Hitchhiker's :-P
    Forum Member
    I think that the reasoning for their solution becomes clearer as the book progresses, but it's still strange. The plot did put me in mind of the McCanns and also the Lindy Chamberlain case. Let me know what you think of the ending.

Ive finished the book now! The ending,
    you're left a bit hanging, was it her, was it him?

Really glad i continued with it, but it is quite sad when you think of noah

I am now reading Christopher Ransom - The Orphan
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed it and that I didn't put you off reading it!
    I think that the father was the guilty party. She wasn't exactly mother of the year though! He was good at manipulating both Joanna and Alexandra and making them feel inadequate.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen King 11.22.63 on my kindle
    brilliant:D
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
    Jury's out so far.

Just about to start that as it was on offer for Kindle.
    just finished The Univited by Liz jensen. very good, never heard of her before but clealry she's written loads, may try some more
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    SS-GB by Len Deighton.

Had a bit of a charity shop spree over the weekend and am going to give the Inspector Montalbano books a go, starting with The Shape of Water, then on to a couple of Bryant and May mysteries by Christopher Fowler
    Forum Member
    Glad you enjoyed it and that I didn't put you off reading it!
    I think that the father was the guilty party. She wasn't exactly mother of the year though! He was good at manipulating both Joanna and Alexandra and making them feel inadequate.

I agree
    When i finished it, I did think it was Joanna as Alistair was just a pure manipulater and liar then i started reading the reviews on amazon...

but overall a good book.

I have given up on Christopher Ransom and have now started Jane Casey - Left for Dead
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I've just finished The Fault In Our Stars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    I have just discovered Tamar Cohen. Excellent writer three books so far first one "The mistresses Revenge", loved it kept me reading until the wee small hours.

i love this thread, reading through it to discover new books and this one looks good!! i've sent a sample to my kindle, thanks!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'The Storyteller' Jodi Picoult. Loving it. Very different from her previous stuff.

this looks good too!! i've downloaded a free sample:D
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Just about to start that as it was on offer for Kindle.
    just finished The Univited by Liz jensen. very good, never heard of her before but clealry she's written loads, may try some more

I too was tempted by the Kindle price (99p)
    Almost finished it now - what do/did you think?
  • Mumof5Mumof5 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Almost English by Charlotte Mendelson - enjoying it so far.