Boycotting the Box

Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
Forum Member
I'm a week late, but after watching this past season, I honestly think I'm done with Doctor Who. I haven't liked a single episode, the only one that I thought had potential was Asylum of the Daleks, but that was full of inconsistencies and ended on a ridiculous note.

I think the show started to head down hill once Tennant left, though I gave Smith a chance and for what it was worth, the first season with him was okay; that's it though, it wasn't anything substantial. This season has been a waste though, and I can't see the christmas special being anything worthwhile either.

I don't know whether the theme for the show has changed, or the person writing has given up and now just writes any old rubbish, but I'm done.

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Thats nice. Don't let the door hit you on the way out :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok bye!
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I'm a week late, but after watching this past season, I honestly think I'm done with Doctor Who. I haven't liked a single episode, the only one that I thought had potential was Asylum of the Daleks, but that was full of inconsistencies and ended on a ridiculous note.

I think the show started to head down hill once Tennant left, though I gave Smith a chance and for what it was worth, the first season with him was okay; that's it though, it wasn't anything substantial. This season has been a waste though, and I can't see the christmas special being anything worthwhile either.

I don't know whether the theme for the show has changed, or the person writing has given up and now just writes any old rubbish, but I'm done.

Right, I'm not watching it, either. Your post helps me to finally see things clearly. Take that Person Who Writes it. :mad:
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

It's a shame you don't like it anymore, but what you said (that part I highlighted) is simply not true. It is your perception of the show that has not followed the new creative direction. I suspect, from clues you dropped, that it was in fact the RTD written series you preferred. That in itself was the furthest from the original Doctor Who it has felt for me, personally. And this latest incarnation, while still feeling modern and fresh, feels to me more in-keeping with the original series. I am, though, a massive fan of all eras of Doctor Who, and will no doubt continue in that vein when it changes creative direction once again.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I enjoy Matt Smith. It is the writing I find objectionable.
  • outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    It's a shame you don't like it anymore, but what you said (that part I highlighted) is simply not true. It is your perception of the show that has not followed the new creative direction. I suspect, from clues you dropped, that it was in fact the RTD written series you preferred. That in itself was the furthest from the original Doctor Who it has felt for me, personally. And this latest incarnation, while still feeling modern and fresh, feels to me more in-keeping with the original series. I am, though, a massive fan of all eras of Doctor Who, and will no doubt continue in that vein when it changes creative direction once again.

The OP doesn't really drop any "clues" that RTD is their preferred writer apart from "after Tennant left". Anyway, I have to say that I don't understand what anyone means by Moffat's Who being closer to the spirit of Seasons 1-26 than Davies'. The original series is wildly diverse and the production style can fluctuate in quality from story to story. I don't believe that either Moffat or Davies' seasons have particularly invoked any previous producers' styles. Post-2005, Doctor Who's a totally different beast to what it was in the 20th century.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bye! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In response to something similar I read the other day linked from Twitter, regarding Doctor Who...

The show is primarily aimed at younger viewers, in the range of 8 - 15. If it's failing to please enough people in this range, the show does need to be held accountable.

However, many of the viewers fall outside of this age range, which is fantastic, but they should be thought of as guests. Their criticisms can be taken on board, but that Doctor Who isn't for 'them' exclusively. In my view this is ensuring that the show is as universally good as is possible, but accepting that we might have to endure story lines of giant space whales and dinosaurs.

It's amazing that the BBC can bring back a franchise that remained untouched for so long and make it appeal to a cross-section of drama viewers that is so broad.

I want the show to be as good as possible, but I try not to expect too much, as I can appreciate it's a fine balancing act. Plus, I'm happy we now have Sherlock, for adult-orientated output from Moffat and co.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »

Shedding RTD fans? :confused: :eek:

Bye then! :):p

The seven episodes we just had were occasionally brilliant but I can only see the writing improving with Amy gone :cool:
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dapa wrote: »
    In response to something similar I read the other day linked from Twitter, regarding Doctor Who...

The show is primarily aimed at younger viewers, in the range of 8 - 15. If it's failing to please enough people in this range, the show does need to be held accountable.

However, many of the viewers fall outside of this age range, which is fantastic, but they should be thought of as guests. Their criticisms can be taken on board, but that Doctor Who isn't for 'them' exclusively. In my view this is ensuring that the show is as universally good as is possible, but accepting that we might have to endure story lines of giant space whales and dinosaurs.

It's amazing that the BBC can bring back a franchise that remained untouched for so long and make it appeal to a cross-section of drama viewers that is so broad.

I want the show to be as good as possible, but I try not to expect too much, as I can appreciate it's a fine balancing act. Plus, I'm happy we now have Sherlock, for adult-orientated output from Moffat and co.

BIB: No it isn't. If it were, it would be on CBBC.
    Doctor Who is a show which is aimed at people of all ages. It has no specific target audience and includes things to entertain people of different ages.
    It is possible to have a television show which is neither a children's TV show nor an adult TV show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB: No it isn't. If it were, it would be on CBBC.
    Doctor Who is a show which is aimed at people of all ages. It has no specific target audience and includes things to entertain people of different ages.
    It is possible to have a television show which is neither a children's TV show nor an adult TV show.

A show can serve a general audience, whilst still having a target audience in mind.

The nearest example I can think of is the Pixar movies. Would it be acceptable for a 50 year old man to say he didn't enjoy Finding Nemo and that the producers should heed his advice to remove the slapstick elements and add more realism?
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    The OP doesn't really drop any "clues" that RTD is their preferred writer apart from "after Tennant left". Anyway, I have to say that I don't understand what anyone means by Moffat's Who being closer to the spirit of Seasons 1-26 than Davies'. The original series is wildly diverse and the production style can fluctuate in quality from story to story. I don't believe that either Moffat or Davies' seasons have particularly invoked any previous producers' styles. Post-2005, Doctor Who's a totally different beast to what it was in the 20th century.

That's how I feel about it. As stated, it is just my opinion.