Who will be cancelled after 50th

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    See what i mean!

If anyone Dares have a bad word to say about the show they get attacked!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Somebody hasn't taken a look at the ratings, or how much money Doctor Who makes for the BBC.

If you have lost interest, that's your opinion. The show is incredibly strong at the moment. How you feel about the show does not determine how the majority audience feel or how the BBC make their decision to renew or cancel.

Nothing profitable can come of cancelling at the moment - especially when it's one of the Beeb's leading shows and money spinners.

As you say, your opinion. That, is that.

THAT

ALL OF THAT
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    See what i mean!

No. There's a difference between boldly mis-stating facts, and having an opinion.

You were clearly stating that the show is losing viewers. Which is wrong. The starting point of your argument was rocky ground to begin with. An you state other things as fact that simply are your opinion.

You might not like it, but as many viewers in this country still do now as did when it came back. Internationally, there has been a rather large gain in viewers. This is almost exactly the opposite of what you were saying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See what i mean!

I think the reaction has been somewhat OTT

But you also did post something that was massively factually inaccurate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    See what i mean!

It's not YOU getting attacked, it's the assertion that the show is loosing viewers and doomed for cancellation, when it is clearly doing quite well both in the UK & internationally that is being called into question.... You're certainly entitled to your opinion about the show, and if YOU aren't enjoying it, then no need to keep watching. The show's ratings seem to be doing fine, though....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I totally think Who will be cancelled after the 50th. I know loads of people who aren't watching it any more and have just lost interest. A lot of people I know just don't seem to like the direction it's gone in. As a very long time fan, I myself am not really that bothered if I miss an episode anymore.
    It's a sad fact but the BBC will pull the plug on it. It makes no difference to them after all they 'll still make kak loads of money from it even when it's gone again.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    "The trouble is, opinions are like a*holes. Everyone's got one." DH

Clearly some are well informed and reasoned and can be supported by evidence that is not "cherry picked".

Others...

are not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    jsa2 wrote: »
    It's not YOU getting attacked, it's the assertion that the show is loosing viewers and doomed for cancellation, when it is clearly doing quite well both in the UK & internationally that is being called into question.... You're certainly entitled to your opinion about the show, and if YOU aren't enjoying it, then no need to keep watching. The show's ratings seem to be doing fine, though....

It may be doing well viewing figures wise but its losing fans! Proper real fans like me.

It maybe getting in the viewers but its not what it once was and its in a poor state
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.j. wrote: »
    I totally think Who will be cancelled after the 50th. I know loads of people who aren't watching it any more and have just lost interest. A lot of people I know just don't seem to like the direction it's gone in. As a very long time fan, I myself am not really that bothered if I miss an episode anymore.
    It's a sad fact but the BBC will pull the plug on it. It makes no difference to them after all they 'll still make kak loads of money from it even when it's gone again.

Fact? Then show us the memo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be doing well viewing figures wise but its losing fans! Proper real fans like me.

It maybe getting in the viewers but its not what it once was and its in a poor state

The true Scotsman again? What's your opinion of the Troughton era?
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good, but what are the six letters?

sorry, it was shorthand for "INSERT WRITER/ACTOR/PRODUCER HERE" :d
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

Again.

These are OPINIONS.

They are not facts. You clearly don't know what you're talking about, otherwise you would recognise that.

Why on earth are you demoting all the new fans that are coming on board because of the direction it has taken? At every point of Doctor Who's change, there have been new fans jump on board, as others decide to leave.

You don't have any more 'rights' with the show than any of those others, and you are actively hoping that new fans don't appear. That is not in the spirit of Doctor Who. Therefore, you cannot call yourself a 'proper real fan' (whatever the hell one of those is, anyway - personally I think being called that is an insult).
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member

C'mon guys. That's such a hackneyed, transparent argument this must be a troll. Let's stop feeding it.:rolleyes:
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Psst... corporations want to make money. They don't want to make every fan happy. Glad to know I'm not a so-called 'real' fan.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

You make statements like that and don't expect people to jump on them?

Whether they agree with you or not, people are going to want to challenge such broad, strident, opinionated and unsubstantiated claims.

For example, what is the qualification for being a 'proper, real, fan', and have you considered that some new viewers might be as 'real' as you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    C'mon guys. That's such a hackneyed, transparent argument this must be a troll. Let's stop feeding it.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't call Mollie a troll. From some of her past posts she's obviously interested in the show. Don't know why she's so downbeat today, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, the OP is probably NOT a troll.

A blinkered individual who only sees things for their effect on themselves is unlikely to want to wind up others.

In my opinion of course.
  • EnergyFlowEnergyFlow Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    It is worth noting that Doctor Who didn't perform very well during the Troughton era and yet the show went on for 20+ years.

It is also worth noting that the show dragged on for nearly 10 years under JNT (despite being mostly poor)...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Viewing figures are fine, It's one of the Beebs biggest money spinners, It sells worlwide, It's probably going to get it's highest viewing figures (since it's return) next year. So with all due respect to the OP, it's future is assured, even if it can't count on your support.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I blame the government.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blame the government.

I blame George Lucas.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blame George Lucas.

The Doctor shot first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A big timelord did and ran away
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Ive a feeling that in 2-3 years we will be saying goodbye to this latest incarnation of the show!

Its losing fans fast by not appealing to a broader audience. The plots are convoluted and overly complicated, Some plot points that are set up are never resolved or turn out to not be as significant as they are made out to be, The characters are completely cold and not empathetic at all.

In short i feel the direction its taken the last 2 years has completely alienated a lot of the fans

I will be sad to see it go but i dont think it can continue in this vein!

In my opinion there is nothing to see here anymore, i simply dont care if i miss an episode

Can you please stop projecting your own misgivings about the show's direction and what it may mean for it's future?

I get that you don't like Moffat's take on the series (each to their own) but it doesn't mean it's gonna get the chop after the big 50.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member

Do you know what? I have some friends who stopped watched Doctor Who after the RTD/David Tennant era ended. I have some friends who started watching after it ended and I have yet more friends who have watched both.

Here's a strange concept for you to try and get your head around but it turns out that not everyone likes the same things and you can't please everyone. For instance, believe it not some people actually liked watching Love and Monsters! :)