Alan Wake

Comments

• misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished it yesterday. I like the game but I think the review in Edge was prettu much spot on. Its a bit repeititive and the graphics should be better. I think the problem is this game has been in development for 5 years and the survivor horror series has moved on from 5 years ago. Dead Space is better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's something very likable about the game, despite its lack of originality and repetition. You shouldn't expect it to be that scary either. Something like Project Zero for instance is far darker in almost every sense of the word!

Can't really agree with all the high scores it's getting either. this review here gets it about right.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it - but the lip sync on the cut scenes is awful!
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm absolutely loving AW, I'll take an awesome in depth story over epic gameplay mechanics every time! I'm so into this, when the storm effects come over I actually get scared lol :)

There was one bit where I was inside a building at a coal mine, and you could hear footsteps above you - terrifying, but only because I let it be.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I like it but i don't love it. i think if there hadn't have been so much hype about it before hand i would have enjoyed it a lot more but as it stands there was no way it could live upto the hype.

i like the story, gameplay is a tad repetitive and the graphics can be a bit off at times especially the facial movements.

the whole thing reminds me of a 'the game of the movie'

not sure about replay value unless you want to go back and get all the manuscript pages.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completed it on Hard last night. Excellent game. Agree with people saying the combat can get repetitive but I played the game in short bursts which made it seem less so and there are sections later on that encourage you to kill the taken in different ways than usual.

Really like the overall atmosphere and the soundtrack and the Night Springs tv shows. Gonna play it on Nightmare to try and go for the 1000g but not looking forward to it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did start to enjoy this game at first but since red dead came out, Alan who???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Finished it late last night, loved it. I'll definitely slap down some cash for the DLC "season 2".

Having read some of the comments by the moderators over on the Evil Avatar forums regarding the ending, i was expecting it to have no closure whatsoever, but i was quite happy with the ending if i'm honest.
    Apart from the fate of Alan, everything else was wrapped up from what i could see. Alice = Rescued, Creepy Evil Woman (TM) = dead/thwarted.

Most games tend to end like that if they intend to set up a sequel, which Alan Wake definitely was.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually stopped playing it since I got "Blur". I found it was a bit dull and it just seemed like you were being led along a pre-determined path.

Might go back to it though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone back to this and just finished episode 2. Still not doing much for me - graphics wise and presentation wise it's outstanding, but i still feel i'm just being led along a linear path all the time.

I appreciate it's the point though, but it just gets a bit boring and isn't hugely challenging.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished episode 3. Liking it so far but it is kinda getting a bit repetitive.

Anyone else think this game is similar to Alone in the dark? Just with the way the story is told, the dark settings etc.

I have to say I do like it when games use this episode format. Means now when I set down I say to myself right I will play through to the end of this episode then stop. Then when you go back a couple days later the re-cap it plays at the start of the next episode is a nice way to remind you of the story.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it and its references to horror games/films/books, the very start was like a homage to Silent Hill, car drives down road, someone steps in front of car, horror begins
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Just finished episode 3. Liking it so far but it is kinda getting a bit repetitive.

Just done episode 3 myself actually and I do agree - getting very samey.

Visually stunning though ..
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it all the way through, with a few changes this is what Resident Evil 5 should have been, reminded me very much of Res Evil 4, really hope theres an Alan Wake 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I remember hearing about this years ago when it was first announced, even back then I was looking forward to it, but at the same time was expecting dissapointment. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up a copy the other day, I've played through probablly 3/4 and it's been a thoroughly enjoyable romp. As above, hope they make a second one :)
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought Alan Wake last the other week from Asda (£25 if anyone is interested) and i have to say, i love it! It's a mixture of Silent Hill and Alone In The Dark to me.

My copy came with a voucher code inside and played a video saying thanks for pre ordering (which i didn't lol) and says i'll get a free DLC on 28 July.

I'm only just getting back into gaming in the past few months so can anyone else recommend any good games in a similar genre?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking of getting this game (this or Nier) as it's going pretty cheap.

Just have to ask before I do though, does this game actually have good gameplay? Or is it just a case of heavy storyline, like an interactive movie with little emphasis on fun?

I just want to know if the game is fun to play basically.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Don't get Nier, it's gash.

AW £17.99 at Zavvi.

Personally, I got bored and traded it in after a few weeks, just couldn't get into it.

It's incredibly atmospheric with an engaging story. Graphics situation is a little weird as environment graphics are superb, but character graphics are a little disappointing.

Gameplay-wise, to be honest, it all got a bit samey-samey after a while.

I'd give it a 7/10 score. It's good at times and 'ok' in general.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Yeah I saw it in GameStation for £19.99 the other day brand new so was tempted. Will pick it up soon. :)

I don't think Nier is gash though, I really like the look of it, just a bit of a marmite game I think.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    I don't think Nier is gash though, I really like the look of it, just a bit of a marmite game I think.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I don't like marmite either! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    This was a good game that I think was marked down due to the hype. There was no way it could live up to the 5 year hype. It was a bit short but It's definitely worth the £20 it's currently going for. To me it was just like Silent Hill minus the puzzles but plus a decent more fluid control system plus the light mechanic.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone had a code for the DLC which is due at the end of the month or are they due to be sent out on the date of release?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the Ltd. Edition from GAME's website for £20 last week.

Don't think I'd have paid full price for it, but it's a bargain at £20.
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a code for the DLC which is due at the end of the month or are they due to be sent out on the date of release?

Mine was on a leaflet in the game case - collectors edition.