Antenna Power Overload Detected

13»

Comments

• N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until recently, we used one of these Bush STBs.
    1) The "Antenna Power Overload" message appeared every time we switched it on.
    2) At night, it would often go looking for new firmware. When it is doing this, it offers you the chance to "exit" from the search. This doesn't work. The only way to exit the search is to pull out the mains plug. I think I stopped it searching by setting low power mode to on.
    3) Also, the aspect ratio on ITV1 was always wrong. The TV is 4:3, but the box would go back to 16:9 ( squashed horizontally ) as soon as the OSD was turned off.
    I never found an answer to problems 1&3. I bought a Hitachi STB for £1 at a garage sale last weekend. It has none of these problems.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    If that is actually true, not that I'm doubting you, those boxes are clearly not fit for purpose and should be returned. Anyone having one, or perhaps the dealers, should contact the manufacturer and ask them what the hell they are playing at. As I'm sure they ought to know many aerials are short circuit to DC.
    Why is that a problem?

The box sees a DC short and automatically switches off the DC power. I fail to see how that can be a faulty design? Now if it saw a DC short and did not turn off the DC voltage then that would be a crap design.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Hi
    In the setup menu there should be an option to turn this DC power off. Any decent euipment will have this option. But alas it is a Havard box. I do not recommend these boxes to any one. They are fire hazard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not having a menu option to turn off the Antenna Power is no problem if the box deals with it properly. If the box can sense a DC short on the aerial and immediately switches off the DC voltage then that is not a problem.

It is after all just doing by itself what you would be doing going into the menus. And lets face it how many average punters out there would have a clue what an Antenna is much less why it needs power! :)

If the DC voltage does not turn itself off however then that is poor design and such boxes should be avoided. But I can't really see it is an issue if the box does deal with a DC short automatically. Though I agree it could get annoying if it popped up a message every single time you turn the thing on.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    If that is actually true, not that I'm doubting you, those boxes are clearly not fit for purpose and should be returned. Anyone having one, or perhaps the dealers, should contact the manufacturer and ask them what the hell they are playing at. As I'm sure they ought to know many aerials are short circuit to DC.

Have you, Nigel, in your capacity spoken to any manufacturers about this?

Why would we bother?, and why would you imagine they aren't fit for purpose?. They have simply changed a manual option for an automatic one - it has no effect on the function or operation of the unit.
    Forum Member
    Clearly not fit for purpose it it can't be switched off in the menus.

Only in your personal opinion, and completely incorrect.

I've come across quite a few boxes with switchable 5v on their aerial inputs. Switchable is the operative word and default is off.

I suggest you check that - in my current experience (having just gone through three DSO's) the default on switchable boxes appears to be ON, not OFF.

As you've found, the voltage appears to be 5V from them.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My DAT45 MRD (masthead amp) required more than the 30mA available from a distribution amp. The drain reduced the voltage to zero. I had to fit a 100mA PSU to turn the MRD on. Maybe something like this is happening to the OP. A DC block such as an in line 3dB attenuator or filter might help. If everything works, I would just ignore it.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An attenuator is not a DC block.
    Well some are but I have written less confusing posts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An attenuator is not a DC block.
    No it isn't but then again neither is it a short circuit as far as DC is concerned so has a similar effect to a DC blocker.
    Forum Member
    Well some are but I have written less confusing posts.

I can't say I've ever seen one that was?, there's no need or point in them DC blocking - but as chrisjr mentions, it gives the same effect as far as drawing excessive current from the set top box goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I hard this same issue on my New Technisat HDFV Box, after a day old it was showing Antenna Overloaded on the screen. Manager to fix the issue by going to the menu setting and Antenna configuration and Antenna suppy option which was "ON" so I turned it "OFF" and everythings seems to be back to normal.
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I have a Dion, dtr250ss10, freeview recorder, and this has the option to power off and on the antenna powers,

One option you could try is to do a factory reset, with the dion when you factory reset it always defaults antenna power off!

although there is no option and if the box does not have the option to power on/off then its clearly very bad design,

but factory resetting it may turn in off, maybe?

but these boxes are mass produced junk, thats why there are so many for sale, as factory refurbishes or customer returned!

If you have a masthead amp, use this box to power and power down other boxes!