Losing interest in gaming.

1235»

Comments

• devo livedevo live Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite having a huge backlog to play through on the PS3 (a combination of PS+ and spending months in Skyrim) I was going through a bit of a 'meh' stage late last year. Due to circumstances I also wanted to not hog the main TV regularly, or disappear off into a separate room from the rest of my family. So I joined Steam and started to invest in various cheap current and past games. And that variety has reignited my interest. Games like The Stanley Parable (not really a game, but genuinely laugh out loud funny in places), Papers Please and old point and click adventures on ScummVM (I'm currently working my way through Beneath a Steel Sky, having missed out on it the first time around). I've even found enjoyment in some of the better hidden object games (like Dire Grove). Basically games which complement the type of gaming predominant on the consoles. I've been carrying on with the PS3 games as well, but I now feel like I have something to match whatever mood I am in at the time.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave a few of my pc games a try aka Football manager 2014 and Sim city and wollah it worked i've got my appetite for gaming back.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have as well at the minute, Metro LL is brilliant, whacked in on everyday so far :eek: :D
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the focus is on shooting games, once you have played one youve played them all. wheres the crash bandicoot of the 10s? Adventure games have gone a miss. So yes im bored too, but i have a wii u and donkey kong is pure gaming class. modern day retro gaming at its best. Can always rely on nintendo for decent content.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a new gaphics card recently, spent hundreds on it, fired up the PC a couple of times and haven't touched it snce. I think I prefer talking about games now rather han playing them. My poor internet also doesn't help (and I'm too apathetic to go out of my way to upgrade lol), so I might want to play a game, but then I realise I would have to wait a few hours for it to download and so go and do something else insead.

I reall o think that my over indulgence in Skyrim Black Ops 1 & Mass Effect 3 somehow killed my passion. A bit like getting terribly ill after drinking too much of a favourite alcoholic beverage and then being put off of it for life :D
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Strangely enough I would say I am gaming more now than I have done in recent memory, mostly on the 360 (though I do tend to play DR3 and FM5 at least daily on the X1), it's still my main console and will remain that way for a long time I think. It has the most epic library of games I think I've experienced and I've not even scratched the surfance of what's out there. I can not understand anyone selling their PS3 or 360 and replacing it with a next-gen console, unless you're not too serious about gaming of course. I think this past generation will go in history as one of the greats, a time where 3D gaming and it's potential scope were truly mastered on a playability level and the re-emergence of retro gameplay via indies and smaller studios.

When it comes to a purchasing decison next week between Titanfall and Dark Souls 2 then I think it's gotta be DS2 tbh but we'll see, it doesn't get much better for me than EDF 2025 so I should perhaps not buy anything and just carry on playing. I find buying games or the temptation to buy them is an addiction in itself and need to keep on top of it, if there's a sure fire way to get jaded it's to get greedy, buy far too much and not play enough = lack of appreciation.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    I think I prefer talking about games now rather than playing them.

I really do think that my over indulgence in Skyrim Black Ops 1 & Mass Effect 3 somehow killed my passion.

Yep, concur with your outlook and viewpoint.
    if there's a sure fire way to get jaded it's to get greedy, buy far too much and not play enough = lack of appreciation.

Nailed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I find buying games or the temptation to buy them is an addiction in itself and need to keep on top of it, if there's a sure fire way to get jaded it's to get greedy, buy far too much and not play enough = lack of appreciation.

So very bloody true. I'm trying to be very careful since getting my PS3 that I don't get carried away with bargains like I did on past consoles. So far it's working out well, and I'm buying less games but enjoying and appreciating them much, much more.
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    So very bloody true. I'm trying to be very careful since getting my PS3 that I don't get carried away with bargains like I did on past consoles. So far it's working out well, and I'm buying less games but enjoying and appreciating them much, much more.

Yeah that's the best way, PS3 has a monstrous library just like the 360. You must be fighting the temptation to buy tonnes of games too especially since you've got years of catching up to do. You're pretty lucky in that respect I think. What games have you played so far and what have been your favourites?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeah that's the best way, PS3 has a monstrous library just like the 360. You must be fighting the temptation to buy tonnes of games too especially since you've got years of catching up to do. You're pretty lucky in that respect I think. What games have you played so far and what have been your favourites?

So far the Bioshock series has blown me away more than anything I think. I picked up Infinite and was so amazed that I had to get the first two as well (even though I haven't quite finished Infinite yet), and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with them all. I'm not typically an FPS fan at all, but the story and characters are so compelling. Even Mrs El enjoys them.

The new Tomb Raider game hit the spot too. It might not be what "fans" would have wanted from a Tomb Raider game, and it isn't without some flaws, but by god it's a great game and a brilliant experience. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think this might be the mistake i made downloaded too many games, maybe because i have so many games on my HDD i'm not appreciating the games. I'm going to delete a few and see how i get on from that. Maybe just keep fifa 14, grid2, tomb raider an bioshock infinity and just download other games as and when needed.
    Forum Member
    Kal_El wrote: »
    So far the Bioshock series has blown me away more than anything I think. I picked up Infinite and was so amazed that I had to get the first two as well (even though I haven't quite finished Infinite yet), and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with them all. I'm not typically an FPS fan at all, but the story and characters are so compelling. Even Mrs El enjoys them.

The new Tomb Raider game hit the spot too. It might not be what "fans" would have wanted from a Tomb Raider game, and it isn't without some flaws, but by god it's a great game and a brilliant experience. :)

Yeah Bioshock is a fantastic series, I've not finished Infinite myself yet but the first game is a total classic. You've not tried any of the Mass Effect games? They are truly epic.

New Tomb Raider is a good game, I agree it's not for fans of the TR series but still good in it's own right, have you played Uncharted 2 yet? If you like Tomb Raider you're bound to enjoy this one too.
    gother wrote: »
    I think this might be the mistake i made downloaded too many games, maybe because i have so many games on my HDD i'm not appreciating the games. I'm going to delete a few and see how i get on from that. Maybe just keep fifa 14, grid2, tomb raider an bioshock infinity and just download other games as and when needed.

A couple of generations back with the Xbox/PS2/GC I pirated a lot of games and the same thing happened, I just assumed it was because I was cheap and not paid for the game but it wasn't, it's simply about having far too much at once. It's not a problem if you can focus on a handful of games at a time, but I do struggle with that and often find myself distracted as I want to experience so many games.

A good idea I found on the 360 is to use the PINS folder as a favourites and pin your currently played games and that way you're not sifting through a huge library. Sometimes I can even forget what I've been playing the day before due to so many games so this is helpful lol. On PS3 you could make a favourites folder and move your chosen games into that I guess. I find the pins thing works for me anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah Bioshock is a fantastic series, I've not finished Infinite myself yet but the first game is a total classic. You've not tried any of the Mass Effect games? They are truly epic.

New Tomb Raider is a good game, I agree it's not for fans of the TR series but still good in it's own right, have you played Uncharted 2 yet? If you like Tomb Raider you're bound to enjoy this one too.

A couple of generations back with the Xbox/PS2/GC I pirated a lot of games and the same thing happened, I just assumed it was because I was cheap and not paid for the game but it wasn't, it's simply about having far too much at once. It's not a problem if you can focus on a handful of games at a time, but I do struggle with that and often find myself distracted as I want to experience so many games.

A good idea I found on the 360 is to use the PINS folder as a favourites and pin your currently played games and that way you're not sifting through a huge library. Sometimes I can even forget what I've been playing the day before due to so many games so this is helpful lol. On PS3 you could make a favourites folder and move your chosen games into that I guess. I find the pins thing works for me anyway.
    Cheers mate i'll give that a go and see how it goes.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am big fan of the Tomb Raider series and I am currently really enjoying the new game. Not sure why old fans of the series wouldn't like this TBH, its the breath of fresh air the series has long been needing. I think I am currently enjoying my play-through of TR more than I did Uncharted 3 which is just starting to feel a little stale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I too was tired of gaming for a while but then realised it was cos I was playing too many generic racers and shooters. Been engrossed in such titles as Rain, Contrast, Brothers a tale of Two sons, Puppeteer, Outlast. Basically anything that feels fresh and provides new ideas or ways of playing. I find all of the CODs so unimaginative. I also loved Stanley Parable and Gone Home on PC. Badland on Android. Year walk on iOS. I think it's great that there s so many platforms and levels of games these days. Not just triple A titles and with all the humble bundle and steam deals a Gaming PC more than pays for itself at the mo.
  • Shez_PalmerShez_Palmer Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Yeah. I mean, can all people who have played a game consider themselves a "gamer" at all? I mean I only tend to play Final Fantasy games at most. I find the older I get, the more I have to motivate myself unless it's brand new and I am genuinely excited about it, which is rare.