Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elena wrote: »
    Playing devils advocate, there's little point in having a redesign if you don't intend everyone to use it at some point. Any option to use the old format would only be transitional and we'd all end up using this one at some point.

Nope, afraid it's here to stay, but that doesn't mean that it can't be improved (which it needs): better colours and the old smileys back would make it ten times more tolerable..

I think the transition to this new format should have been gradual though - it could have meant the errors didn't have to be ironed out on the fly.

Instead, we get it dropped in without warning and it becomes a bit of a clusterf**k.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Spratt wrote: »
    Not sure if people have seen the announcement saying what they're working on and what they've already fixed.

I think they realise the forums need a bit of work!
    I like how they didn't explain why the forums have been thrown up, barely half finished, with what looks like no testing, and fixes happening bit by bit, on a live server! It breaks so many best practices of web development I don't even know where to start.

As a developer myself I'm amazed a supposed big company like Hearst allowed this to happen, and worse, doesn't see anything wrong with it - at least not publicly, anyway.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    My email provider revamped their website in the spring. The result is not very good at all at all. They created a feedback button, so that people could vent their spleens at them, and ignored any and all suggestions for improvement which were made. They didn't care what people thought.

That's the way these changes are done. They decide that a change is for the better, and having decided that, ignore any protests as being from ignorant luddites. After all, they made a change, so it must be better, and anyone who disagrees is not worth listening to. Let people have their say, and ignore them. They'll accept the changes in time - they'll have to. What else can they do - go and start up a rival?

And that's exactly the attitude in 99.9% of web revamps. There is no such thing as a democratic web, really.

What I have seen though is where smallish elements are clearly not liked, there has sometimes been a push to remedy these in the days and weeks after the change. This is what I'm holding out for, to be honest. Even just a little bit of give on the colour and the smilies would make the whole thing better.
  • Options
    GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope they do get round to changing the colour!

The grey is too much and too headache causing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the transition to this new format should have been gradual though - it could have meant the errors didn't have to be ironed out on the fly.

Instead, we get it dropped in without warning and it becomes a bit of a clusterf**k.

We could have done with a 'preview' option for a month or so before the whole thing changed, I agree.

Then any issues could have been fixed -relatively- behind the scenes.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still getting used to it to be honest, so I'm kind of assuming I'll get used to it. Saying that, BBC Good Food changed their website a few months ago and I went from a daily (at least) user, to an occasional user if I'm bored!

The one thing I don't like is of the new design is having the forum threads spaced so far apart - it used to be that you could scan all threads titles on a page with only a scroll or two, whereas now it requires a constant scroll.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't DS give us the choice of the old and new versions of the forum?

Don't be silly! Father Knows Best.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant take this design mods change it back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    To be fair, their time is probably best spent sorting the site out rather than trying to placate a load of melodramatic grumbling.

I don't understand people like you, I really don't. It's fine if you don't mind the upgrade but why are you so dismissing and mocking of people who have been caused pain? It might be trivial in the grand scheme of things but there's no reason for the DS staff to actively piss off so many people by refusing to respect their concerns.
  • Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks so much better today now they've tweaked it.

Well done everyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well done everyone.

But it still needs a lot of work and is nowhere near as good as the original.
  • Options
    Kayyy92Kayyy92 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I think users should have an option to keep this or go back to the old one, considering we were treated like guinea pigs while you tweaked it and we as your users had zero input into the design.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like::
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is slowing down. We'll never beat CTAM now. :devil:
  • Options
    rivetheadrivethead Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a LOT of empty space on my screen. Seems a bit of a waste. If I wanted a smaller monitor, I would buy one!

My only other complaint is it's very bright. Not the easiest to read.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Change grey to blue and it might begin to be easier to read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is slowing down. We'll never beat CTAM now. :devil:

Is it me or has the whole of GD slowed down?
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't take it any longer. This thing is killing my eyes and I'm starting to feel sick and my head is starting to thump. This needs fixing as many people will be put off from posting if after a few minutes they get a bad head from staring at a bright white screen. Doesn't help with the new font which you have to squint at.

Also the User CP still has the impossible to read white on grey. This is just a joke.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    To be fair, their time is probably best spent sorting the site out rather than trying to placate a load of melodramatic grumbling.

I don't think you should highlight how they could be spending their time given that it should probably have been spent properly testing a noddy css change to apply a basic 4 colour palette to a handful of rectangles. Then correctly deploying it with a backout plan in case they inexplicably bungled it. With an expectation of gratitude for taking only 24 hours to fix it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rivethead wrote: »

My only other complaint is it's very bright. Not the easiest to read.

I don't think it matters how many of us say this. DS seem hellbent on keeping this dreadful "colours" at all cost. :mad:
  • Options
    Seanieb1983Seanieb1983 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    But it still needs a lot of work and is nowhere near as good as the original.
    Personally I think it looks great.

The old one was pretty much the default vBulletin template from 2003.

Lets be honest with ourselves here. People just don't like change. Give it a week or two and there'll be something new to be outraged about.

You'll still be posting here though.

Seriously, if you think the site is that bad, hit them where it hurts. Don't give them your hits.
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, well done, except that they haven't heard of using a validator for the site. This page has 62 coding errors and 6 warnings.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I don't understand people like you, I really don't. It's fine if you don't mind the upgrade but why are you so dismissing and mocking of people who have been caused pain? It might be trivial in the grand scheme of things but there's no reason for the DS staff to actively piss off so many people by refusing to respect their concerns.

Lol If you have been caused pain by staring at this free to use message board either turn your brightness down or go do something else. I don't understand people sat looking at something that gives them a headache and carping about it as if they have had their benefits taken away or something.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well done everyone.

It looked better and worked better before they even messed with it. Everybody was happy and nobody felt OMG this forum desperately needs a revamp.

It didn't need messing with. It wasn't broke and didn't need fixing.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Well done everyone.

It certainly doesn't look very much better from where I'm sitting, so I'll withhold my congratulations.

Well over 24 hours and it's still a mess! It beggars belief!
This discussion has been closed.