Options

Buying Property Near Train Line

2»

Comments

• Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,655
    Forum Member
    Our flat sits right above the Victoria Line and other than the first one or two trains going through first thing in the morning we rarely notice even though at peak times there are trains going through every 90 seconds.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`m within 200 feet of a station and about 100 of the railway line, i don`t really hear it.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    It's not so bad.

Lucky you being able to afford a flat in London bridge - why not move a bit out and buy a house with a garden instead near the tube with the cash?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd much prefer to live next to a busy train line than a busy road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I live next to a train line and it's absolutely fine - I'm more likely to be disturbed by the silence if they're not running!

The only thing I hate is when Network Rail have engineering works on. These will be at night, all night, with the noisiest machinery known to man. They will come up with every excuse under the sun to justify doing the work at night (basically residents = less complaints than commuters). If it's taking place during the week you won't be fit to go to work the next day as you'll need to sleep!

This happens about 3 times a year, for 2-3 nights at a time. I either book annual leave or arrange to work from home, so I can do eight hours interrupted by as many naps as needed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live in a house by a railway line, the trains were noisy especially the goods trains that also ran on the line. When we moved out and bought a house, we missed the noise, sounds odd I know! It wasn't that bad, we were use to it.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a train line running at the bottom of my 80 foot garden. Although there are advantages, a couple of minutes to the station - marvellous if its late and raining and we are not overlooked and you dont really hear the trains as you get used to them, there is vibration from trains especially the high speed ones and I think over time cannot do the foundations or walls any good. Also friends who stay comment. I wouldnt buy so near to a train line again.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree with the posters who say that the engineering works are far worse than the trains themselves.

As someone has pointed out, there is a huge development taking place in and around London Bridge over the next few years. A lot of this work will take place at anti social hours and weekends/bank holidays etc. I would avoid.