Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Something that annoys me are these beauty ads that give a percentage of people who like it I saw one the other day 75% of 51 agreed. :confused:

Hardly a rousing endorsement surely there should be a minimum number of people surveyed before you proclaim results.

Always bemuses me too. Saw one a few years ago that said x% of 29 women agreed.

Twenty Nine!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you're basing a TV ad campaign on that small amount.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty Nine!!!!!!!!!!!!! And you're basing a TV ad campaign on that small amount.
    It might seem that way but I think it's the other way round - there might even be some kind of legal requirement to back up any of the more outrageous claims with some actual evidence. Or they are hoping viewers will think it's a typo that missed out the 'thousand' bit.

Public opinion, even from an extremely small sample set, counts as 'evidence' though importantly not necessarily 'proof'.
    There really are people out there who will fill in and send off any form you put in front of them if it means 10p off a £50.00 bottle of pre-superhydrated apricot-dust seaweed oatmeal chalky herbal tripe whale blubber spray.

Any of those "you too can have a plastic-looking face" adverts! Fortunately not so common now...?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go compare adverts - especially the one with the mechanics in the garage or anyone on a daytrip to the landofsavingmoneygocomapre

the sanitary towel ad at the open air concert

the BT advert with the ginger student and his dad. my hand forms into a fist whenever i see him and/or his student mates

any adverts for Mrs Brown's boys d'movie. I'd rather eat my own eyes than go see that rubbish

the aviva ads with Paul Whitehouse. I'm a huge fast show fan but whitehouse has sold his sole with awful, bland, unfunny corporate guff

any advert featuring the voice of Brian Blessed. is there nothing this man won't lend his voice to? His voiceovers or now so common that the product becomes incidental. I can't recall a single product he adevrtises, mainly because he voices so many adverts
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Something that annoys me are these beauty ads that give a percentage of people who like it I saw one the other day 75% of 51 agreed. :confused:

Hardly a rousing endorsement surely there should be a minimum number of people surveyed before you proclaim results.

Have you not seen the ads that give out 2 figures?? One point you'll see it say 75% out of .... agreed then less than 2 seconds later another figure saying 50% also...... :confused: if they are selling products just stick to one figure but in saying it seems more made up by the day! :o
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this one is only shown in the northwest but there's an advert by the Blackpool tourist board that does my head in.

As if the precocious little brat isn't annoying enough right from the start he soon begins to become unbearable by referring to his mother by her first name!!
    Are we supposed to find that cute? What goes on in the tiny minds of advertising types?
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    That travelodge ads with 'make more kids' - sick bucket please
    Also for the fact that they used the word 'weekend' as a verb.

On the plus side I quite like those ads that look like dating site ads but really it's about a person falling in love with a product - quite amusing.

I can't abide that advert either. It seems to be on all the channels. Let's hope it finishes after the holidays. Same goes for the one wittering on about Venice, Algarve etc.

The other add I hate is the one for BT Infinity. Where do they think these things up.

I am sick of the Always/Tampax adverts being shown especially during the day when young kids are watching. My 6 year old is forever asking me what they are for.
    I keep telling her they are hankies
  • Options
    McCollMcColl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Anything to do with bodily functions is embarrassing and unpleasant. Sanitary items do not need advertising.

Even the bleeding gum ones ..can they not just tell us the product is good for gum health!
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife said exactly that when that ad came on last night.

I didn't like that advert yesterday but for some evil reason the three women enjoyed seeing a man fall flat on his back. Not my idea of fun. Really all wowchers adverts should be barred
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those stupid back to school adverts. We're not even in August yet! >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought every one went and made a cup of tea (or perhaps something romantic when those long ads on satellite come on)
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    Whoever recruits these actors for STV ads is a bit tedious these days and ideas is beyond joke. I agree with what you say in relation to bingo but does anyone actually do what that guy does in that ad? I wouldd cheer but I wouldn't get the poppers/confetti out and dance around like a prat (they may as well have gave him an added accessory - a kilt!), I also wish STV would stop using the default accent in all their ads - there is more than one in Scotland they can use

Och aye! :D *hides*
  • Options
    Charlotte_ONeilCharlotte_ONeil Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    go compare adverts - especially the one with the mechanics in the garage or anyone on a daytrip to the landofsavingmoneygocomapre

the sanitary towel ad at the open air concert

the BT advert with the ginger student and his dad. my hand forms into a fist whenever i see him and/or his student mates

any adverts for Mrs Brown's boys d'movie. I'd rather eat my own eyes than go see that rubbish

the aviva ads with Paul Whitehouse. I'm a huge fast show fan but whitehouse has sold his sole with awful, bland, unfunny corporate guff

any advert featuring the voice of Brian Blessed. is there nothing this man won't lend his voice to? His voiceovers or now so common that the product becomes incidental. I can't recall a single product he adevrtises, mainly because he voices so many adverts

Add to that any advert which features the voice of James Nesbitt or Timothy Spall.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All precocious kids in adverts for everything.
    Their parents must be pushy types who want their little darlings on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Add to that any advert which features the voice of James Nesbitt or Timothy Spall.
    ....Ronnie Corbett sound-alikes? ...or even the real thing.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but I'm sick of the begging adverts involving children.
  • Options
    Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,387
    Forum Member
    the kinder advert "Mum, Teddy is very not well!" GRRRR! >:( >:( just wanna put my fist through the screen every time I hear it!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The thing is, before they brought in better legislation, they could say that '85% said they like so and so product, but not give how big the sample was.

So now they have to show how big the sample was, and it has shown how small they normally are.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Och aye! :D *hides*

Yeah pass the buckie to me - on the other side of Scotland ... cheers :confused::D
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many times must they show the Extant advert?!
  • Options
    Twin_TwoTwin_Two Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May have already been said but I don't really get the Flora butter advert in which the 2 kids are preparing breakfast for the mum and dad's anniverary. The kids go to present their parents with the food and catch mummy and daddy "wrestling".

WHAT?

Why is sex in an advert for butter?

Nasty, offensive rubbish. I hate that advert so much I stopped buying Flora and now buy Lurpak instead :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wrote:

Can't stand the way that woman in the Moonpig advert says 'Velvet hot pants, size 8. Back in the day.' >:(

I know exactly what you mean, I could cheerfully slap the silly cow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I think she is very sexy when she winks and smiles at the the end.

Nope, another one in need of a good slap lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. Any "charity" that spends such a ridiculous amount on advertising will never get a penny of my money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We used to watch Sky News at tea time to catch up, but now we watch the BBC News channel instead because Sky always seem to show one of these ads while we're eating or preparing food (Usually around 5.15-5.25pm).

Clearly designed to make people feel guilty for actually having food!
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "How clean do you feel after going to the loo?"

None of your f***ing business! >:(
This discussion has been closed.