Options

Three inTouch is finally here

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully, but I expect not likely, Apple's "wifi calling" will be based on some sort of standard so that the operators don't have to invest effort and time in making it work for one manufacturer.

Even using SIP doesn't make it fully open. When Apple announced Facetime (and the Americans decreed that they'd invented mobile video calling) they claimed it'd be wonderful and open as it used SIP and standard codecs. Still waiting for that interoperability thing.

This is why UMA being rather dead is a bit unfortunate, it'd be great if Apple and Google made it a part of the OS.
  • Options
    planetf1planetf1 Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know, Apple's "wifi calling" is actually based on standard, UMA, that has been around years. To date handset support has been quite patchy - a fair few blackberrys, couple of Nokias. Samsung shipped a few handsets in selected market, but none have made it available across the range. Only orange in the UK supported it

Meanwhile three have a wifi calling app which supports texts and calls, inbound and outbound over wifi. It's called three intouch. O2 have something similar. Not sure on other networks. It requires an app install and is NOT standards based, though being available for android and iOS in their stores makes it easy for anyone to use.

Personally I prefer standards, so hope wifi calling is successful and becomes standard in more handsets. Meanwhile the app support may be more pragmatic. No reason why the networks can't support both.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UMA is Orange and other's commercial name for GAN or Generic Access Network.

The main issues are that hardly any network supports it, and a lot of handsets are not supported as well. I think the reason why some operators have created an app is so that they can implement it on a wider variety of handsets. UMA uses IPsec VPN tunneling and just sends the GSM call to the network via a VPN.

The apps use the SIP Protocol over SSL, SIP is a standard VOIP protocol, but the networks want to make it easy for consumers to set up, do so securely and authenticate by checking the sim card data that is in the device. So the best option is to put it in an app wrapper and then it is device agnostic (not OS agnostic) and easy for the majority to download and install, it's a compromise.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only two annoyances with the app so far;
    1 - The SMS inbox issue. Third party apps can have access to the SMS database in android I believe.
    2 - The fact that it enables / disables itself based on WiFi network SSID. What if I want it enabled when I am connected to The Cloud Wifi in Wetherspoons in Bath, but not when I am connected to The Cloud WiFi elsewhere?

However despite that, the fact I can now call and text people while at my parents house is fantastic, so well done Three :).
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, the only real annoyance I have is that SMS are split between 2 locations, as above third party apps can integrate with the system Messaging app so why haven't Three done so? :(
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Intouch actually used your app of choice it would be perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    UMA is Orange and other's commercial name for GAN or Generic Access Network.

The main issues are that hardly any network supports it, and a lot of handsets are not supported as well.

3's network didn't inherently support WiFi calling or LTE or HSPA either, they had to invest time and money into getting it going. Same for UMA, so I'm not sure why that's a reason against it.
    I think the reason why some operators have created an app is so that they can implement it on a wider variety of handsets. UMA uses IPsec VPN tunneling and just sends the GSM call to the network via a VPN. .

If UMA was available on every handset (if it was a popular standard) it wouldn't be a problem. Same reason why we don't wonder why handset manufacturers omit WiFi or LTE.
    The apps use the SIP Protocol over SSL, SIP is a standard VOIP protocol, but the networks want to make it easy for consumers to set up, do so securely and authenticate by checking the sim card data that is in the device. So the best option is to put it in an app wrapper and then it is device agnostic (not OS agnostic) and easy for the majority to download and install, it's a compromise.

Not sure why this is a reason for going with proprietary apps instead of something that has been designed by the handset manufacturer / phone baseband manufacturer. Presumably UMA requires a similar level of security to the underlying GSM/UMTS network.

A compromise indeed.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only two annoyances with the app so far;
    1 - The SMS inbox issue. Third party apps can have access to the SMS database in android I believe.
    2 - The fact that it enables / disables itself based on WiFi network SSID. What if I want it enabled when I am connected to The Cloud Wifi in Wetherspoons in Bath, but not when I am connected to The Cloud WiFi elsewhere?

However despite that, the fact I can now call and text people while at my parents house is fantastic, so well done Three :).

3. On some phones, you have to reprovision the app over the phone network after power cycling. Which wouldn't be a problem unless you don't have a mobile signal. What's the app for again :)

Surprised its taking them so long to provide a bug fix just for that,
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to re-provision on my Z2 every time I reboot the phone.
  • Options
    natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    3. On some phones, you have to reprovision the app over the phone network after power cycling. Which wouldn't be a problem unless you don't have a mobile signal. What's the app for again?

This is the biggest problem for me. I'm in an area without signal for 2 days and had to reboot my phone... Now I have no service.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    planetf1 wrote: »
    As far as I know, Apple's "wifi calling" is actually based on standard, UMA, that has been around years.

Unlikely. Its in use by T-Mobile USA, and shown to be working for testers of iOS 8. From reading forums it seems it is likely to be IP based, so SIP or similar protocol - but most likely designed to connect to the IMS core used for VoLTE calls (ie, phone calls over 4G/LTE).

EE (and Three) are busy installing IMS cores to allow for VoLTE in 2015, and so its likely the inTouch app and the iOS 8 feature will connect to the IMS core over the internet - rather than over 4G data.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    any way to get this working on a rooted ( custom rom ) device?
  • Options
    RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    Unlikely. Its in use by T-Mobile USA, and shown to be working for testers of iOS 8. From reading forums it seems it is likely to be IP based, so SIP or similar protocol - but most likely designed to connect to the IMS core used for VoLTE calls (ie, phone calls over 4G/LTE).

EE (and Three) are busy installing IMS cores to allow for VoLTE in 2015, and so its likely the inTouch app and the iOS 8 feature will connect to the IMS core over the internet - rather than over 4G data.

Voice over WiFi (integrated) is basically VoLTE but using wifi rather than the LTE radio network. It uses untrusted non 3GPP access to the Operators IMS core utilising SIP so uses the same core boxes as you would with VoLTE.
  • Options
    randolf105randolf105 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I use root cloak on my custom ROM note 3 and works fine

You just have to make sure you add three in touch to the app list
    Richard_T wrote: »
    any way to get this working on a rooted ( custom rom ) device?
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    RAN Man wrote: »
    Voice over WiFi (integrated) is basically VoLTE but using wifi rather than the LTE radio network. It uses untrusted non 3GPP access to the Operators IMS core utilising SIP so uses the same core boxes as you would with VoLTE.

Thanks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    There's still no mention of this app not being allowed outside of the UK.

The official webpage for it even shows a girls who appears to be on holiday next to the blurb:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Three_inTouch?site=d

[Edit] - It is actually there, you have to scroll to the bottom and there's 4 clickable links and it's mentioned if you click on the 3rd link.
  • Options
    RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member

The official webpage for it even shows a girls who appears to be on holiday next to the blurb:

[Edit] - It is actually there, you have to scroll to the bottom and there's 4 clickable links and it's mentioned if you click on the 3rd link.

The issue with using abroad is actually one of regulation rather than any technical limit. To offer a telephony service in most countries you need to either have a licence or be able to satisfy any regulatory requirements. For roaming these requirements are satisfied by the roamed to operator. For VOIP, Three UK would be the operator end to end, hence the restriction.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked three support about the re-provisioning after restart "issue", either they misunderstood the question or are totally bonkers since they said there are no plans to change it at this time.

Also in the known issues here:
    http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=internetapps,varset_subcat=3585,Case=EXT%28EM43583%29
    You might find that not all your text conversations are stored in both your phone’s normal inbox and your Three inTouch inbox. Unfortunately we won't be able to change this on iPhones or phones with more recent versions of Android. If you think you’re missing parts of a conversation, make sure you check both of your text inboxes.

Erm, I hope they don't mean they can't fix the "incoming SMS not in not app" problem on KitKat :(

That said, its still a lot better than having no signal!
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    randolf105 wrote: »
    I use root cloak on my custom ROM note 3 and works fine

You just have to make sure you add three in touch to the app list

No luck here, Nexus 5, Cyanogen mod CM11 M9 release.
  • Options
    IM-goRtIM-goRt Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    No luck here, Nexus 5, Cyanogen mod CM11 M9 release.

Root cloak within xposed works for me, you have to specifically add the app after install, but before running:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/mod-rootcloak-completely-hide-root-t2574647/page21

also told root cloak plus works too (for those not running xposed):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devadvance.rootcloakplus&hl=en_GB
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    You might find that not all your text conversations are stored in both your phone’s normal inbox and your Three inTouch inbox. Unfortunately we won't be able to change this on iPhones or phones with more recent versions of Android. If you think you’re missing parts of a conversation, make sure you check both of your text inboxes.

If they cant sort that out them i am going back down the route of getting a home signal cos InTouch is an ok fix but its no permanent solution, its way too limited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RAN Man wrote: »
    The issue with using abroad is actually one of regulation rather than any technical limit. To offer a telephony service in most countries you need to either have a licence or be able to satisfy any regulatory requirements. For roaming these requirements are satisfied by the roamed to operator. For VOIP, Three UK would be the operator end to end, hence the restriction.

I'm not even sure that 3 are enforcing it. The inTouch app works fine on my employer's network, even though all of their European internet traffic from their private network goes through their gateway in Amsterdam and so every online service thinks we're Dutch - no iPlayer, Dutch advertising, large websites directing us to Dutch language pages etc.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    If Three support iOS WiFi calling then everything will be integrated: texts, phone calls all in the same apps.

T-Mobile US have a similar system on Android (I don't actually know if it's a separate app) that they include on all their phones. It works the same as the iOS method.

I am pretty confident that the Three InTouch app is just the starting point...
  • Options
    YossiYossi Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    If Three support iOS WiFi calling then everything will be integrated: texts, phone calls all in the same apps.

T-Mobile US have a similar system on Android (I don't actually know if it's a separate app) that they include on all their phones. It works the same as the iOS method.

I am pretty confident that the Three InTouch app is just the starting point...

I'm not so sure. After 5 years they still refuse to implement visual voicemail for iOS users, despite the fact other Three companies in other countries actually support it already.
  • Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My brother in law successfully used it last week while on holiday in Turkey, to phone his mother.

Successfully means that the app worked, he made a 16 minute call, it was treated as a roaming call and he was charged circa 23 pounds for the privilege.