Is there any truth in this heatwave rumor?

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    PeteA wrote: »
    I presume that's a typo and your really meant 4 BILLION years?

Still strictly true though ;-)
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Just Express hype.

SHOCK WEATHER FORECAST: Hottest August in 300 YEARS on way as jet stream BOILS Britain....An "explosion" of unstable air high in the atmosphere has created an "unusually elongated” jet stream which is poised to drag SCORCHING highs in from the Continent and Africa sending thermometers soaring to dangerous levels around the UK.

From a death ray from the sun, apparently

Makes a bit of hot weather sound like the end of the world. With stories like that, I'm surprised Express readers dare go out at all.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,479
    Forum Member
    For the record, and to allow criticism and comment later this month, here is an extract from what Piers Corbyn of Weather Action forecast on or about 31st July. This is where the Express got its forecast from.
    Piers says:-
    "We thank The Express for this great coverage and warning the public of what is likley to come.

We are 80% confident that Central England mean temperatures (which covers a large triangular region typical of most of the Midlands and much of the South of England this August will pip or be equal to the warmest on record. Our statement gives details of what this means and includes comment on the fact that while official records probably exaggerate temperatures this August would still likely be in or near to the top 5 in the record of over 300 years if likely data exaggerations were corrected.

This is uncomfortably hot for some and great for others! Enjoy it while you can. There is unlikely to be another August like it in your lifetime.

"Different parts of the UK & Eire will be different and after a variable first few days of August It will get generally hotter but will not be hot all the time in all parts and there will be intense thunderstorms with hail or threats of thunder in parts of the month - the details of which are in the full forecast which covers 8 time periods through the month in various regions of Britain and Ireland.
    I have saved the complete web page as there are already signs of a bit of back-off editing going on there... he may be getting the excuses ready already. Mr Corbyn, we are watching.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    For the record, and to allow criticism and comment later this month, here is an extract from what Piers Corbyn of Weather Action forecast on or about 31st July. This is where the Express got its forecast from.
    I have saved the complete web page as there are already signs of a bit of back-off editing going on there... he may be getting the excuses ready already. Mr Corbyn, we are watching.

I'm loving the "official records probably exaggerate temperatures" (Oh, the irony!) and "This August would still likely be in or near to the top 5 in the record of over 300 years if likely data exaggerations were corrected."

So, the temperatures might be higher than previous ones ... if the previous ones are "corrected"! I do wonder by how much they'll be "corrected"? Wouldn't it be a coincidence if they were "corrected" enough to make them lower than this August's temperatures! :D
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone from Piers website now.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Bloody heating went on last night!
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I blink and miss the heatwave?
    Forum Member
    Gone from Piers website now.

Still there.
    July 31st

PiersCorbyn warns Britain HOTTEST August in over 300 YRS http://dexpr.es/1lXR5Ys ; bit.ly/XiK7b1 ; pic.twitter.com/ljOQePYvcK

Hehe. :D
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corbyn: "ONLY WeatherAction's solar-based approach can successfully explain and predict changes in the Jet Stream and make provenly significantly skilled long range weather and climate forecasts. Standard meteorology and the CO2 theory can predict nothing in long range."

That went well. Can anyone more familiar than me with Corbyn's astrology-based approach give me any hints how he uses it to forecast earthquakes, which I notice also feature on his website?
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    No he isn't, he's as bad as the other lot.

If that happens (and there's no sign of it yet) it will be down to pure luck. Weather Action and that Express mob use outrageous predictions of extreme weather to gain publicity for their long-range forecasting guesses and keep their subscriptions up. Occasionally, guesswork guesses right (like it would for me or you) and then we never hear the last of it. Usually, their guesswork guesses wrong and they always keep that VERY quiet.

Just ignoring them both is by far the best course of action. Always.

Rather a bit like fortune tellers then? It's all a load of bull yet there's always some idiots that choose to believe them. I think some people just love to believe in crap like this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    well it's gonna get bit warmer next week ..let's hope it lasts bit more than few days
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Lets hope it doesn't last
  • Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where this started but several people have said to me that we are in for a real scorcher in August, that something to do with El Nino is gonna give us the warmest temps on record for the UK:o Looking outside today, its been pissing down all day and is currently 12c, more like a winters day, not that I am complaining as I hate the heat and don't want any more of it.

Yep, it's been a scorcher for me today - but then I am in Thailand on holiday :-)
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, it really could get very warm next week, especially from the Midlands Southwards. High pressure will become dominant for a time, and as a result, we could easily see mid to high 20's in any prolonged sunny spells.

Note to self: take some of that flexi time you've built up and have a lounge in the garden with a cold drink. Might be your last chance this year to sit out in the warmth and Sun..
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heatwave? What heatwave?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Actually, it really could get very warm next week, especially from the Midlands Southwards. High pressure will become dominant for a time, and as a result, we could easily see mid to high 20's in any prolonged sunny spells.

Note to self: take some of that flexi time you've built up and have a lounge in the garden with a cold drink. Might be your last chance this year to sit out in the warmth and Sun..

Thankfully in NI the highest we are forecast is 18 on Thursday. Cloudy with showers most of the week. Nothing new there then.

I had to laugh. We had yanks over in Dublin today for a college football match. They had on coats and hats complaining about how cold it was while Irish out on T-shirts.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a last gasp of summer isnt that unusual. It was very warm this time last year
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    Its been really warm here for over a month

But we have barely had a sunny day. So dull and miserable. And quite wet too.
    Currently pissing it down.

Its unbearable! Hate this kind of weather.
    Come to the area where I live, and it isn't hottest on record type of heat, but I was able to comfortably wear a tshirt outdoors. ^_^
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,685
    Forum Member
    Lets hope it doesn't last

Yeah, let's hope for freezing horrible weather. Not like we've got months and months of that to look forward to.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Piers has now moved on and completely "forgotten" about his prediction. See Weather Action
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Piers hasn't forgotten to continue lying about being an FRMetS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully in NI the highest we are forecast is 18 on Thursday. Cloudy with showers most of the week. Nothing new there then.

I had to laugh. We had yanks over in Dublin today for a college football match. They had on coats and hats complaining about how cold it was while Irish out on T-shirts.

Yeah, at 18 degrees, I'd have no more than a t shirt. Certainly wouldn't need any more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Piers has now moved on and completely "forgotten" about his prediction. See Weather Action

What bugs me about the Daily Express is that in their weather related articles, they first consult the Met Office, quite reasonably, then go on to say "Jonathan Powell of Vantage weather services says"........ I mean why do they need to consult that clown when they've already got the info direct from the Met Office ?
    Forum Member
    Well now, we know.

Mr. Piers-Corbyn-Weather-Action's forecast for August as published foolishly in the Express was, as we expected, utter drivel. A complete disservice and insult to all proper meteorologists both professional and amateur. Yes, it was even an insult to amateurs.

His "BREAKING! Piers Corbyn warns Britain HOTTEST August in over 300 YRS " on July 31st

turned out to be:

[highlight]The COOLEST August in over 20 YRS[/highlight]

Nice one Piers, nice one Daily Express. :D:D:D
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    The august 'heatwave' was epic here in Herts. The sun came out twice and it rained for the rest. Summer ended in July.