Options

Princess Diana died 17 years ago today

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was so upset.I went out car hunting the next day.The salesman was upset.I presumed he was a Rangers or Hearts supporter.;-)
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? She had no royal status and was just another celebrity.
    If she had no royal status, it begs the question why did Prince Charles go to Paris to identify and repatriate her body - and was permitted by the authorities despite him being merely the ex-husband :confused:
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because it's not illegal to..... ;)

Strange response. Care to explain ?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply can't be arsed to comment, because I don't care enough.

Or that you saw that you were wrong about Elton blanking Diana at the Versace funeral service and didn't bother to comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    She was a naive fool. Her son was the heir to the throne. She proved herself to be totally unsuitable for the job.

Mm.....no.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    If she had no royal status, it begs the question why did Prince Charles go to Paris to identify and repatriate her body - and was permitted by the authorities despite him being merely the ex-husband :confused:

Perhaps he felt as the mother of his son's, it was the right thing to do .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    I really had to laugh at the brothers speech, like he was some beacon of light himself.
    It was a nasty thing to do at a funeral, and as far as I can tell he showed no particular interest in the boys from then on, perhaps because of his own eventful family life. It was poignant to see the very young princes appearing to agree with him, clearly not seeing the insult behind the carefully chosen words.
    Ovalteenie wrote: »

What has that to do with being royal? Her father was dead, her mother was in a remote part of Scotland, her brother was abroad and Charles was clearly the easiest person to call on. .
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    It was a nasty thing to do at a funeral, and as far as I can tell he showed no particular interest in the boys from then on, perhaps because of his own eventful family life. It was poignant to see the very young princes appearing to agree with him, clearly not seeing the insult behind the carefully chosen words.

He was likely grieving, and angry. Emotions run high during bereavement and funerals.
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the fact everyone in Hyde Park stood up and applauded merely because his speech sounded emotional (and therefore profound) is another indication of the aggressive, unthinking sentimentality that was abroad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    He was likely grieving, and angry. Emotions run high during bereavement and funerals.

I thought Earl Spencer's speech was great. My family was pleased that he came out with what he did. He said what needed to be said at the time.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I never found that song to be ghastly at all! :eek:

Oh god I did! Naffness in the extreme! I'm just glad the X Factor wasn't around at the time or we'd have had One Direction or some such thing instead!!! Elton was bad enough.
  • Options
    ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, she was his sister: his grief was real. But she wasn't the public's sister. The hysterical element in the public reaction to her death was largely generated by the media, which of course is how most people had their relationship with her. It was a little glimpse of what the country would be like if it were ruled by The Sun.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Or that you saw that you were wrong about Elton blanking Diana at the Versace funeral service and didn't bother to comment.

Tut... how could anyone claim Elton blanked Diana... she was a blank cheque to him after all :)
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    What has that to do with being royal? Her father was dead, her mother was in a remote part of Scotland, her brother was abroad and Charles was clearly the easiest person to call on. .

Did he get to go in a helicopter... dem royals love dem helicopters!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, she was his sister: his grief was real. But she wasn't the public's sister. The hysterical element in the public reaction to her death was largely generated by the media, which of course is how most people had their relationship with her. It was a little glimpse of what the country would be like if it were ruled by The Sun.

I know, I was only referring to his speech, which was referred to as nasty. It probably was nasty and spiteful to blurt that out at the funeral, but as I said, people can get a bit crazy during family deaths and funerals. (There was an actual fight at one of my family funeral wakes)

As for the part of your post referring to the public. Yeah, that was a real watershed moment in British history. Real hysteria and madness on a grand scale, and I think we have changed as a nation since that moment. I watched all the wailing and pilgrimages to Buckingham Palace and I remember thinking that people have completely lost their minds here. This is nuts!

Strange times indeed.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I saw nothing, as I didn't bother to look at your link. We are suffering from very slow download speeds atm and besides, as I said, I'm not that interested.
    I thought Earl Spencer's speech was great. My family was pleased that he came out with what he did. He said what needed to be said at the time.

I can see from this that we are unlikely to agree about anything regarding Diana Spencer, so I shall move on.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's ironic that he never applied some of it to himself. Utter hypocrite. People in glass houses ectc.
    I note neither of the princes attended his 3rd wedding.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I recall feeling gutted at the time.

...that I didn't immediately set up a flower and stuffed toy stall near Kensington Palace. I'd have made a fortune.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw nothing, as I didn't bother to look at your link. We are suffering from very slow download speeds atm and besides, as I said, I'm not that interested.

I can see from this that we are unlikely to agree about anything regarding Diana Spencer, so I shall move on.

Well, he didn't blank her at all like you said. As for the second bit, that wasn't in reply to you, but another poster.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Wh

I think Camilla has become quite popular over the years. She has just played what looked like an almost impossible hand very well: head down, always nicely dressed and groomed, finding her own charity work to do, never saying a single controversial syllable. And I find your view of Catherine rather odd. She seems a nice girl to me, and again, has had to face up to a pretty impossible situation. The Mail's recent attempts to vilify her and pretend that 'Kate-three-kitchens' was a popular term just looked fatuous.

I like my royal family to be sensible and dull and to stay out of trouble. They have a professional job to do, and both those two (and the queen of course) do it well.

The Mail has turned on Kate (and the Middleton's in general) over the past year or so. Not sure what their agenda is other than getting the anti and pro's at each other's throats. But they can't seem to make up their minds one minute it's all "isn't she wonderful", next day "3 kitchens Kate spends £4.2 million and rips out a perfectly good bespoke kitchen".
    Takae wrote: »

In honesty, it was a good thing that she died, because the public was becoming impatient with her highly-publicised antics and flirting with the media as part of a tit-for-tat game with Prince Charles. Her popularity was dropping steadily and there was a rise in criticisms targeting at her. I remember one columnist ripping her apart for having too many holidays at taxpayers' expense. I think the columnist said something like "What are you going to do, Di? Shop 'til you drop?"

I think she'd be increasingly unpopular until she could win back the public's affection with an unexpected remarriage and settlement as an ambassador for an international charity or organisation. That depends on whether she'd keep a bad vibe between herself and Prince Charles alive, though.

The press were all turning on Diana before she died, the uturn they did was quite something and very hypocritical.
    You what?! Diana refused to be the stuffy royal that all the others were. She was far more warm towards people and tried to give William and Harry as normal a life as she could.
    benjamini wrote: »
    I wonder did she introduce them to all her boyfriends? I suppose that's considered pretty normal.

She introduced them to Will Carling, I suppose being introduced to your mother's fancy man might be quite normal in some circles. Along with being the person your mother turns to, to unburden herself.
  • Options
    iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    I was so upset.I went out car hunting the next day.The salesman was upset.I presumed he was a Rangers or Hearts supporter.;-)

What an odd post.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    That week was quite strange, everything seemed to come to a stop until the following Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    The Mail has turned on Kate (and the Middleton's in general) over the past year or so.

I always imagine Carole taking Kate to one side and dispensing the opposite of the usual motherly advice

"Kate, look at me and promise me that you have stopped taking your pill!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member

As for the part of your post referring to the public. Yeah, that was a real watershed moment in British history. Real hysteria and madness on a grand scale, and I think we have changed as a nation since that moment. I watched all the wailing and pilgrimages to Buckingham Palace and I remember thinking that people have completely lost their minds here. This is nuts!

Strange times indeed.

You have to remember that in those days people didn't really share their feelings or talk about problems. If you did, people would become anxious and not know how to respond, because it was so unusual, and they weren't used to it.

This conspiracy of silence was damaging to society. We were ignorant of so much suffering because we didn't speak to or listen to each other.

Diana's ability to engage with people on a meaningful level reminded us what it was to be human.

There was hope that one day, we might engage with one other on that level, and society would be a better place as a result.

When she died, that hope risked fading away. People mourned Diana and the concept of a better world.

Thankfully, we are more open today, and society is improving as we move further away from the time when the stiff upper lip caused so much damage.

I am not saying we owe it all to Diana, or that she is some kind of saint, but she certainly helped to show us the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    You have to remember that in those days people didn't really share their feelings or talk about problems. If you did, people would become anxious and not know how to respond, because it was so unusual, and they weren't used to it.

This conspiracy of silence was damaging to society. We were ignorant of so much suffering because we didn't speak to or listen to each other.

Diana's ability to engage with people on a meaningful level reminded us what it was to be human.

There was hope that one day, we might engage with one other on that level, and society would be a much better place for it.

When she died, that hope risked fading away. People weren't just mourning Diana, but the concept of a better world.

Thankfully, we are more open today, and society is improving as we move further away from the time when the stiff upper lip caused so much damage.

I am not saying we owe it all to Diana, or that she is some kind of saint, but she certainly helped to show us the way.

I always felt that the legacy of that outpouring was a shameless lack of decorum and loss of inhibition.