Options

What does Alfie have to gain by setting the house on fire?

marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's not his house and I doubt he would have home insurance being as financially strapped as they are. He's not been able to pay the rent so I don't see how he would keep up paying insurance so what does he have to gain financially? I just don't get it.

Comments

• Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely nothing
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    We'll it is a bit odd, I mean if Alfie could find a way of blaming the council, for instance an electrical fire then he would probably get some compensation.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the reasoning behind it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i hope this is his exit lol
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i hope this is his exit lol

I agree I smell an exit storyline
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,319
    Forum Member
    It's possible, Alfie returned September 2010, if he was on a yearly contract it's very plausible that when he leaves it would be September/October time
  • Options
    when0in0romewhen0in0rome Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    I'm also really confused by this... Because even if he did own the house - his family will still need a home so any money he got would surely just go back into fixing the house?

If he had lied about some high value items or something and there was more thought then maybe but it just seems so stupid.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He really hasn't thought it through. And neither have the script-writers.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is that
    why does he just set fire to a random bin? (Unless you're a total fudgenut) everybody knows that the fire service and police have ways of assessing how a fire starts, he hasn't even gone to any real effort to try and make it seem like an accident.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afie is a fool, that's all the reason he needs!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have absolutely no idea
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I love Alfie and am still rooting for the poor devil but even I don't know what he will gain.

I mean, it's not his house and Mo's behind with the rent and they are being evicted and i don't even know if there is an insurance policy (i assume there isn't because Mo can't even keep up with the rent payments).

And I doubt there will be much of a payout for the contents.

He will lose things of sentimental value too,
    I saw some spoilers on Instagram and it showed photos of them with Tommy and they were on fire so any sentimental loss can't be replaced and he'll go downhill even further when he realises what he's done to Kat, to the love of his life and best friend!:cry::cry:
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Alfie and am still rooting for the poor devil but even I don't know what he will gain.

I mean, it's not his house and Mo's behind with the rent and they are being evicted and i don't even know if there is an insurance policy (i assume there isn't because Mo can't even keep up with the rent payments).

And I doubt there will be much of a payout for the contents.

He will lose things of sentimental value too,
    I saw some spoilers on Instagram and it showed photos of them with Tommy and they were on fire so any sentimental loss can't be replaced and he'll go downhill even further when he realises what he's done to Kat, to the love of his life and best friend!:cry::cry:

Can you please post a link to the instagram account. Thank you :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you please post a link to the instagram account. Thank you :)

I'm on a mobile and I can't post links,sorry, but the account is called 'eastendkalfie'!
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A storyline.

The writers have run out of ideas for the character and this seem like a final attempt to make him interesting - I think we're supposed to feel huge sympathy for his plight but actually it just makes me loathe him even more as he has brought all this on himself, yet we're supposed to see the likes of Aleks as the bad guys.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A storyline.

The writers have run out of ideas for the character and this seem like a final attempt to make him interesting - I think we're supposed to feel huge sympathy for his plight but actually it just makes me loathe him even more as he has brought all this on himself, yet we're supposed to see the likes of Aleks as the bad guys.

This. Although if we're not supposed to see him as the bad guy, they should have had him come to his senses at the last moment and put the cigarette out, only to have not done it properly and left the house. The house would still go up, but he wouldn't be so much to blame.
  • Options
    Paul254Paul254 Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is setting fire to his house to get insurance money to pay the rent and not be evicted from the house he is burning to the ground....
  • Options
    martin2345ukmartin2345uk Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Paul254 wrote: »
    He is setting fire to his house to get insurance money to pay the rent and not be evicted from the house he is burning to the ground....

But it's not his house is it? So why would he get the insurance money?
  • Options
    moagmoag Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that the insurance company won't pay out straight away,
  • Options
    soapmadsoapmad Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why does he just set fire to a random bin? (Unless you're a total fudgenut) everybody knows that the fire service and police have ways of assessing how a fire starts, he hasn't even gone to any real effort to try and make it seem like an accident.
    He lights a cigarette and stick it in the bin
  • Options
    soapmadsoapmad Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it's not his house is it? So why would he get the insurance money?

He might have contents insurance.... so it might pay out a lump sum, depends what his policy is .
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soapmad wrote: »
    He lights a cigarette and stick it in the bin

Actually
    lighting a cigarette and tossing it in the bin
    is a good way to make it look accidental. I saw a film once where a woman fell asleep in a chair and her lighted cigarette fell out of her hand and straight in the bin. It's the kind of thing that would be difficult to prove. I think this even happened to Dot once, a lighted cigarette accidentally causing a fire. In Karl's case, he splashed alcohol around the fuse box and set fire to the piece of paper but of course it was easily proven that the fire was started on purpose and maliciously from the traces of paper and alcohol.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually
    lighting a cigarette and tossing it in the bin
    is a good way to make it look accidental. I saw a film once where a woman fell asleep in a chair and her lighted cigarette fell out of her hand and straight in the bin. It's the kind of thing that would be difficult to prove. I think this even happened to Dot once, a lighted cigarette accidentally causing a fire. In Karl's case, he splashed alcohol around the fuse box and set fire to the piece of paper but of course it was easily proven that the fire was started on purpose and maliciously from the traces of paper and alcohol.

But wont they actually check to see if any of them are smokers?
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just loves a man (or lesbian) in uniform...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    He just loves a man (or lesbian) in uniform...

I'd like to see Alfie in that uniform, complete with big hose!