Options

Split or Steal?

hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you went on the gameshow 'Goldenballs' or were in a similar situation where you had a certain amount of money and had to choose whether to split or steal with another person what would you choose?

What would you choose? 57 votes

Spilt
47%
SULLAbluebladeskp20040SJ_Mentalzx50jesayaLisa.BdorydarylOlls~skreepersMumof3CBFreakLyceumhammerfan[Deleted User]swehSirocco758Alan1981P_PCloudy2 27 votes
Steal
52%
Serial LurkernuttytiggerStressMonkeygotherrufnek2k6slade1Kittycat73vodkamargarineEPY[Deleted User]VolPrincessTT[Deleted User]Hugh JboobsMishcoll.Lauren.EVILSPEAKpjc229kirbyreedPumping Iron 30 votes

Comments

• Options
    Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would want to steal but would split.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spilt
    I'd steal if I didn't trust the person opposite. I would hope that I would be able to trust the person enough to split.

Edit: Saying this though, I'm not sure I would want to deceive them. I'm more of a say what I think person.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'd steal if I didn't trust the person opposite. I would hope that I would be able to trust the person enough to split.

Steal always because you get all or nothing

Split you get half or nothing.

Also it's flawed because if the other person is always going to steal the whole game is pointless, what was the point of the previous 55 minutes if it is that obvious.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spilt
    I voted Split but I think it would depend on the day and who it was really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spilt
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Steal always because you get all or nothing

Split you get half or nothing.

Also it's flawed because if the other person is always going to steal the whole game is pointless, what was the point of the previous 55 minutes if it is that obvious.

And you'd be happy to walk away with nothing rather than take a chance and split? If so, that's just absolutely stupid.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you'd be happy to walk away with nothing rather than take a chance and split? If so, that's just absolutely stupid.

If I split I will only ever get half and I came with nothing.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Steal
    Steal, everytime. 'Cos I'm a heartless bitch like that.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spilt
    Depends on the person sitting opposite me.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal
    I'd steal but it depends on who the other person is and if I like them or not.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i have no idea how it works but probably whichever one i thought would net the most money unless i felt that the person i was potentially stealing from needed it more.
  • Options
    pjc229pjc229 Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal
    Steal, absolute no-brainer.
  • Options
    pjc229pjc229 Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal

I don't think you understand how it works. If your opponent chooses 'Steal' you walk away with nothing. What you choose has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether you walk away with nothing or not.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal
    Steal. I would rather go away with nothing, over them stealing and me losing out.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of the show, so I have no idea. I know this though, I'd never even consider splitting my winnings with another person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spilt
    pjc229 wrote: »
    I don't think you understand how it works. If your opponent chooses 'Steal' you walk away with nothing. What you choose has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether you walk away with nothing or not.

Really? :o Yes, I have watched Golden Balls before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steal
    Really? :o Yes, I have watched Golden Balls before.

You don't get the best tactic then for getting the most money at least.

Let's say there is £1000.

If we both split, the MOST I can walk away with is £500.
    If they steal, I walk away with ZERO

If I steal, the most I can walk away with is £1000,
    If we both steal, the most I walk away with is ZERO.

Considering, you don't know what they are going to decide, what is the best option to pick to give you the best chance of getting the most money considering in both scenarios you have equal chance of walking away with nothing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spilt
    .Lauren. wrote: »

Considering, you don't know what they are going to decide, what is the best option to pick to give you the best chance of getting the most money considering in both scenarios you have equal chance of walking away with nothing?

We would obviously do things differently then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal

What if it were a much higher sum? Say £100,000?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steal
    What if it were a much higher sum? Say £100,000?

Logically, the amount shouldn't make any difference because the chance is the same, but I guess we look at £100,00 and for some reason decide splitting is the better option.

Logically, I'd still steal. That is assuming you have no idea of what the other person is likely to choose.
  • Options
    LittleByLittleLittleByLittle Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Depending how much money there was I would steal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal
    Logically, the amount shouldn't make any difference because the chance is the same, but I guess we look at £100,00 and for some reason decide splitting is the better option.

Logically, I'd still steal. That is assuming you have no idea of what the other person is likely to choose.

I voted steal, but if it started getting into the big money, I might think about it more.
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal
    I'd steal as I wouldn't want the other person stealing everything from me. Either I get everything or we both get nothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Steal
    Ha, use to love this show. Definetely "STEAL", because, I have nothing to lose. I wouldn't want half the money, nor would I want the other person to take all. If they split, they lose, if they steal, they lose again (along with myself). It all adds up.

Wouldn't like half the cash, so steal all the way. Greedy or what? :p
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Steal
    Steal. I would rather go away with nothing, over them stealing and me losing out.

Yes.

I never understood why anyone on that programme would trust the other person after meeting them a few hours earlier.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spilt
    I always end up watching that show, but I don't even like it! Or so I say to myself...

I can't deal with the slimeballs who lie about their killers and steal.

I'm a complete believer in the Prisoner's Dilemma - split for the win!