Cineworld allocated seating

Comments

• MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knuxs7 wrote: »
    Went to see the 100 foot journey last night, and the other half booked tickets online. Annoying he had accepted the default choice made by the system which seems to be to squeeze everyone into middle rows ("K"ish). So a lot of empty areas and us packed in all together.

When we made it to the front I don't think the lady could actually do anything (or didnt know how), but then she kindly told us to sit in the House Seats because they purposely don't assign them for some reason. So all ends well mostly.

What are House Seats?

When i've booked online and had to pick my seat, i've seen quite a few seats (a set of 2/3/4 in some instances) and they've already been blacked out. But no other seats at all have been taken. Are they House Seats? Why is that? Why are they purposely not assigned?

Because if that is the case i may as well just pick the default seat when i book online and then just sit in the House Seats when i'm inside the auditorium since they're not assigned. Some of these House Seats are placed right in the front of screen in the middle so they're the best seats to have.

What's worse is that when i've gone to see something some of these 'house seats' which are blacked out online making you think they've already been taken, actually have no one sitting in those seats at all! I've noticed that loads of times.

Now that it's been mentioned and discovered this is proper annoying now!!!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I pre-booked my seat a while ago and stupidly thought the 'screen' was where the projector was (I have absolutely no idea why) so I placed myself near the front of the back rows at the very end........or so I thought.

I actually ended up the back of the front rows......which would have been fine if it wasn't a daytime near-empty showing with me all on my own :blush:

I'll take more care next time :D
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    What are House Seats?

When i've booked online and had to pick my seat, i've seen quite a few seats (a set of 2/3/4 in some instances) and they've already been blacked out. But no other seats at all have been taken. Are they House Seats? Why is that? Why are they purposely not assigned?

Because if that is the case i may as well just pick the default seat when i book online and then just sit in the House Seats when i'm inside the auditorium since they're not assigned. Some of these House Seats are placed right in the front of screen in the middle so they're the best seats to have.

What's worse is that when i've gone to see something some of these 'house seats' which are blacked out online making you think they've already been taken, actually have no one sitting in those seats at all! I've noticed that loads of times.

Now that it's been mentioned and discovered this is proper annoying now!!!

I'd never heard of it before either, but presumably it's as you suggest in that some seats are reserved for various reasons. Perhaps for "complaining" customers like us on Tuesday, or I know staff get to see films for free, so perhaps they are for them. Or maybe even random VIP's? Could be any number of reasons, and personally I would expect it was common with any event or place where seats are booked. ;-)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to watch The Guest the other night and had a chat with a member of staff, he said only a few people have a problem with it and that the Cineworld i went to was an old one and one of the last few to implement allocated seating, he said most of cineworld already had it and it was well liked. I felt like saying bullshit but i remained polite.

As for the film itself it was well ruined by is being in the smallest screen and everyone being cramped in to the same area, a few didn't bother with their seats so had to move when people turned up wanting their seat. there was also some young lads in that really, really, really wanted to be like the guest, i half expected them hitting the screen with sexual fluids they were getting that over excited at the action. That said i cant blame allocated seating for nobheads like that.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I go to the cinema on my own sometimes and I dislike allocated seating on the basis that they sit people who are on their own next to couples - with no gaps! So it's like I'm crashing their date!!
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    They definitely need to roll out the new double-sided tills to all Cineworlds, I know a few have had problems with staff sitting everyone together on the same couple of rows - the ones we have at Wembley where you use a touch-screen to choose where you want to go is a much better solution. If someone complains about their seat (occasionally people will book online, think they're choosing the back row and find they've accidentally chosen the front) we'll just change their seat to one of their choice at the tills, providing it isn't taken.

It really screws things up when, on a really popular showing (weekends, Bargain Tuesday/Orange Wednesday evenings etc), people just decide to sit anywhere, as you've got the movie starting, some trying to sit in the seats they've chosen and others literally refusing to move from them, claiming it doesn't matter. A few months back two customers actually got into a fight involving it. I mean, really? Sit in your bloody allocated seat and change it if you don't like it! If it's a quiet showing then fine, if there's 200 seats empty when the movie starts and you want to sit somewhere else then it's not going to be a problem. If it's a sold-out showing then stubbornly sitting where you like is gonna start causing problems, particularly if you're in the front row, move to the back and the customers who booked those seats sometimes weeks in advance can't sit in the seats they want.

Forgive me for ranting but it's something I have to deal with a lot. Thankfully tonight we had a sold-out showing of a new Bollywood movie, everyone sat where they were supposed to and everything went fine - one guy wanted to change his seat so we changed it for him. Simples.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed when you go to book a ticket online you can't leave any gaps between people in the seating anymore. It comes up with a message saying "You may not leave a single unoccupied seat if there are alternatives in the same row." Essentially meaning you have to either take an aisle seat, or leave a gap of two seats or more, or else select a seat directly adjacent to one already allocated. Those purchasing tickets at the counter in the cinema may not have noticed this rule yet but this is partly why everyone is being grouped to sit together in off peak screenings.

Obviously for a peak time full house scenario this is a sensible rule to have but the rest of the time it's just irritating.
  • Lee-ALee-A Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    This has ruined going to the cinema for me and am going to cancel my unlimited card.

Yesterday I was sitting next to two people who wouldn't stop talking and playing on their phones. I had to say something in the end. Another time I have been squeezed in by two overweight people each side of me. With the old system things like this were never a problem.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Do you tend to go in the evening or during the day Lee-A?

I'm only asking as Im an unlimited card holder as well but I tend to go on Saturday and Sunday during the day. The screenings are never full so if I don't like my allocated seat then I will just move to another empty one.No member of staff ever checks during the screenings!

The worst they will do anyway if they check is ask you to go back to your allocated seat!

Lee-A I wouldn't cancel your unlimited card over it!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    I've noticed when you go to book a ticket online you can't leave any gaps between people in the seating anymore. It comes up with a message saying "You may not leave a single unoccupied seat if there are alternatives in the same row." Essentially meaning you have to either take an aisle seat, or leave a gap of two seats or more, or else select a seat directly adjacent to one already allocated. Those purchasing tickets at the counter in the cinema may not have noticed this rule yet but this is partly why everyone is being grouped to sit together in off peak screenings.

Obviously for a peak time full house scenario this is a sensible rule to have but the rest of the time it's just irritating.

It is irritating, you're correct. I book online and i've noticed this too. I've noticed this for a long time and many many times i've seen 2/3 rows all in the middle with people grouped together and no gaps whilst everywhere some rows are practically empty! Ridiculous. This is unacceptabe, esp. at off-peak screenings.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think I've ever stayed in my allocated seat if it isn't one I've wanted. the staff always stick you next to someone else, even on quiet screenings (which is when i usually go). the moment the film starts i just quietly move. not been an issue so far.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't most Cineworld have the machines in the lobby so you can book your ticket yourself, and therefore pick your own seat?

Also for those going to the tills do you not ask to sit away from everyone else or just accept what they give you?

Seems to me that for the people complaining there are simple solutions to resolve the issues.

I for one like it, I no longer need to show up early to get the seats near the exit I want. Less stress and a happier girlfriend. :p
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wont be when she gets someone needing a bath next to her and eating the biggest bag of popcorn they sell.

Last Tuesday night was brilliant, a couple got moved 4 times before resigning themselves to the seats they had actually bought and another couple refused to get out of someone's seats with the terse response of sit over there, they are all the same, had it not been an old couple i don't think they would have took it so lightly.

As ever thanks to Cineworlds Strike It Lucky technique of seating people everyone ended up in a bunch.
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    Do you tend to go in the evening or during the day Lee-A?

I'm only asking as Im an unlimited card holder as well but I tend to go on Saturday and Sunday during the day. The screenings are never full so if I don't like my allocated seat then I will just move to another empty one.No member of staff ever checks during the screenings!

The worst they will do anyway if they check is ask you to go back to your allocated seat!

Lee-A I wouldn't cancel your unlimited card over it!

Already cancelled it.

I go during fairly quiet periods (half full normally). I have sat in other seats a couple of times but each time I was sitting in someone else's seat so had to move. It's not worth the hassle for me.

Also if you are going in a big group it's hard to find seats together which are not already taken. People often turn up late and you have to move while the film is on which annoys other people.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee-A wrote: »
    Already cancelled it.

I go during fairly quiet periods (half full normally). I have sat in other seats a couple of times but each time I was sitting in someone else's seat so had to move. It's not worth the hassle for me.

Also if you are going in a big group it's hard to find seats together which are not already taken. People often turn up late and you have to move while the film is on which annoys other people.

Seriously? Spending 2 min for example using the CIneworld app to pick the seat you want to sit in is a hassle? :confused:

I really do think some people are overacting with these new system put in place.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Seriously? Spending 2 min for example using the CIneworld app to pick the seat you want to sit in is a hassle? :confused:

I really do think some people are overacting with these new system put in place.

We've always had it here in Aberdeen, so I find myself wondering what the fuss is about. I simply choose my seats when I book my tickets. If I turn up and book my tickets on the day, then I simply talk to the member of staff serving me and tell them where I want to sit.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've always had it here in Aberdeen, so I find myself wondering what the fuss is about. I simply choose my seats when I book my tickets. If I turn up and book my tickets on the day, then I simply talk to the member of staff serving me and tell them where I want to sit.

I'm from Aberdeen too and the only time ive had trouble with allocated seating is when ive been in Glasgow. The Aberdeen 1 is fine. I think its not the seating policy is the issue its more the people not sitting in the seat that they end up getting. People who want the whole thing scrapped are not thinking of the people that need specific seats (ie people with disabilities or illness) who may not have the ability to turn up early to get the seat they want before somebody else gets there first.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Personally I would prefer not to have allocated seating @ Cineworld but it's really not a deal breaker.

I tend to avoid busier screenings any way so if someone is sitting in the seat I've booked (which happens only rarely) I've got plenty of other seats to choose from (I prefer to avoid confrontations if possible).

In terms of busier screenings, I have noticed that my local Cineworld have now started placing staff in the screens & they have dealt with any seating disputes quite efficiently...
    Forum Member
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer not to have allocated seating @ Cineworld but it's really not a deal breaker.

I tend to avoid busier screenings any way so if someone is sitting in the seat I've booked (which happens only rarely) I've got plenty of other seats to choose from (I prefer to avoid confrontations if possible).

In terms of busier screenings, I have noticed that my local Cineworld have now started placing staff in the screens & they have dealt with any seating disputes quite efficiently...

So you move to potentially someone else's seat, who may ask you to move instead?
  • WishesWishes Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    It's the cinema not the theatre. I wait see where other people sit,then I pick my seat based on where others sit and where I, at five foot ten tall, won't be a bother to anyone. This is why I use the Odeon and Vue now. Haven't visited a cineworld in six months, all the better for it.
    Forum Member
    Wishes wrote: »
    It's the cinema not the theatre. I wait see where other people sit,then I pick my seat based on where others sit and where I, at five foot ten tall, won't be a bother to anyone. This is why I use the Odeon and Vue now. Haven't visited a cineworld in six months, all the better for it.

At 5'10" I'd be surprised if the person behind you realised that there was someone in the seat.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    So you move to potentially someone else's seat, who may ask you to move instead?
    In a quieter screening (where there's maybe 10-20 other people) that's very unlikely to happen & so far it hasn't (if it did I would happily move to another seat)...
    Forum Member

When I tried it this happened to me so I moved. I had to move again and went to the seat I booked so not to annoy everyone any more then I had already.
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »

If you go in a large group (7-10 people) yes it is a hassle.

Also I can't stand sitting next to some people (feet on seat, using phone, talking etc) Before you could easily avoid this. Had a couple of films ruined recently by it.
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    I prefer allocated seating as I book online.

I go to the cinema on my own and usually book a seat that is on the side of the aisle that has only two seats. This means that I usually get two seats to myself.